PDA

View Full Version : Click, click, click-not starting -bad switch ?? 1996 FLHTCI

Pancho
05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Click, click, click-not starting -bad switch ???
1996 FLHTCI, first year injected.

It's been doing this intermittently for a couple of years. 9 out of 10 times fires up immed. w/ no prob. Other times, have to push the start button 2 or 3 times (click, click, click). Now, not starting at all, just clicking. Battery is good, all the lights are bright, tank pressures up, radio blasts away, always keep it plugged into a Batter Tender Jr.

I think rain/humidity increased likelihood of this problem. I might have fixed this problem before on my '92 low rider (not sure), but can't remember what I did.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

junior
05-01-2009, 11:24 PM
1. make sure all connections at battery, solenoid, and ground lugs are clean and tight. corrosion/looseness is a factor.
2. how old is the battery? even if "tended", most batteries have a life of 5-6 years max.

if 1 & 2 ok, then where is the clicking coming from? since you get a "click" it is likely the starter button is fine. if it clicks at the relay and not at the solenoid, repolace relay. if it clicks at relay AND clicks at the solenoid, replace solenoid and/or starter.

a voltage check at the purple wire at the solenoid will also confirm.

j

fxrglide91
05-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Just replaced the starter relay in my 2000 RK, $5.45. Switch the brake relay with the starter relay(if it fits) and give it try. If it starts and you have no brake lights, you need a relay.
This dummy tried to bench test the old relay, after I bought a new one, and had sparks flying. ragecaged :blink2:

Pancho
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys.
Here's a link to what I did.
Link:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Bikes-Dresser-Relays.jpg