PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid push start and key switch start?

Oli1200
05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I just want to clear something up about solenoid push button starters. Thinking about getting one as my only means of starting.

Can I get rid of my "run/off" and "start" switches and the wiring harness and the starter relay? Or must I keep an ignition cut off toggle of some kind to enable the solenoid push button to work? Or could I just start my bike by turning on my ignition with my key as usual and push the solenoid button?

Also, if I wanted to start my bike by simply turning my key switch, what exact wires would I have to combine from my "run/off" and "start" switch wiring harness?

Wide
05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
You may wire it anyway you like

Always have a kill switch and ignition cutoff

junior
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Can I get rid of my "run/off" and "start" switches and the wiring harness and the starter relay? ** you can eliminate the run/off circuit if you jump it at the switch leads and use the ignition switch for on/off., with a solenoid start button the start button is no longer needed. however, since they are integral with the swith housing/perch, you might keep them both intact unless you change the perch.

Or must I keep an ignition cut off toggle of some kind to enable the solenoid push button to work? **the solenoid endcap button does not need anything external. it manually engages the internal disc that shunts voltage to the starter motor.

Or could I just start my bike by turning on my ignition with my key as usual and push the solenoid button? **you can do that as described above.

Also, if I wanted to start my bike by simply turning my key switch, what exact wires would I have to combine from my "run/off" and "start" switch wiring harness? **jump the two at the run/off switch.

j

Oli1200
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I appreciate the responses but I'm a dumbass and all this wire talk is confusing me.

I'm looking to get as barebones and simple as possible, I don't care if the law says you need an "off" or "kill" switch. I want to get rid of my switch wire harness plug-in.

Let's say for example BOTH my "run/off" and "start" switches went dead along with my starter relay all at once. Will my bike still be able to start with my stock ignition key ON and a push of the solenoid button?

junior
05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
yes. IF you jump the on/off switch as described.

j

boulderbean
05-07-2009, 12:42 AM
A wiring diagram would probably be helpful.
You should be able to find one specific for your year/model.
Links to generic, basic diagrams are attached but of course may not be exactly what you have.

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ejhpart/harlywr2.gif
http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ejhpart/wdb2p1c.gif

boulderbean
05-07-2009, 12:46 AM
more diagrams (older models)

IamVince
05-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Oil1200...I know what you are after and yes you can...but.One time I left a light pretty hot and my motor stuck wide open,I was very glad I had a kill switch nearby.(main jet came off)At least put some sort of toggle for a kill switch.But then again that has only happened once.

Oli1200
05-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Oil1200...I know what you are after and yes you can...but.One time I left a light pretty hot and my motor stuck wide open,I was very glad I had a kill switch nearby.(main jet came off)At least put some sort of toggle for a kill switch.But then again that has only happened once.

Okay now I'm more confused. So I don't really have to jump my "run/off" switch to run a solenoid push starter as a sole means of starting?

I just "kill" my engine by turning my key off that's mounted to my battery cover.

junior
05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
run/off must be jumped so ignition circuit is energized. if not, you'll just crank over and no start

j

Oli1200
05-07-2009, 04:00 AM
run/off must be jumped so ignition circuit is energized. if not, you'll just crank over and no start

j

Of course, all this makes more sense after you re-read it a hundred times. I know this is all simple stuff really but bear with me.

Okay, which of my 3 ignition key wires would my 2 "run/off" wires be soldered to in order to jump the "run/off" into my key ignition?

IamVince
05-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Wrong place oil..you want the 2 wires coming from the on/off switch/Mine end up in the headlight,not sure on yours but trace where they go and I think you connect them,jr can verify that.
I would open up the switch housing to see what coler they are(gray,black and white)(on mine its 2 of those three)trace that to where ever it meets up with the main harness.
All I use on that side is my start button and kill switch and been thinking of doing what you want to do

Oli1200
05-07-2009, 05:18 AM
This is how I've got my switches and key switch setup, just took this photo. Diggin' deep into my wiring just to rig up a slightly different start is something I'm losing interest in by the minute. This setup works, I just had a bad switch and replaced it, if the shit fits wear it right?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z200/oli1200/Picture298.jpg

IamVince
05-07-2009, 05:34 AM
looks like like you are all set,lose the start button and use the solenoid button you do not need the start button