PDA

View Full Version : Rider Safety Course

Catfish
01-23-2005, 09:16 PM
I just completed a Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course this morning and was wondering how many others have been through one of these. I had to take this one because I work on a U.S. Air Force base and had to take it before I could get my bike registered on base. And it was free which is a plus.

I have been away from riding for several years and finally got back into it, so what did I do? I went out and got me a Road King. Probably not a smart move to buy such a big bike after a 20year hiatis, but I couldn't pass up on the deal I got, and I knew I wanted a Harley. After taking this course, I have alot more confidense in my ability to handle this bike. There was me and one other guy (a British Air Force Officer) with a Heritage in the class, everyone else had Honda 750s or smaller. On the practical part of the testing, you could wrap up 21 deducted points before you failed. I had 0 points deducted and he had only 4. Chalk one up for the guys on big bikes. drunks

Wide
01-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I moved this post to motorcycle safety section :D

Drebbin
01-23-2005, 09:20 PM
CATFISH - Good job ! Stay with it - NEVER stop training & learning. DREBBIN

Tony
01-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Congrats on passing!!! Was it the Basic Course or Experience Rider Course?

TexasFatBoy
01-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Musta been the basic - I just did the Experienced a few months ago and there is no test on that course!

Good job! 1beer

Tony
01-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Ah, okay...how was the Advanced Course anyway?

TexasFatBoy
01-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Pretty good - it's amazing how quickly you pick up bad habits without someone watching ya, so the real value of the Experience course is having someone watch you ride and correct the little things. It's pretty short (one afternoon) and almost all bike time with short breaks to review Rider Cards and get ready for the next riding skill.

I recommend taking it every two to three years just as a refresher - also good for a discount on the insurance and can be used in most states as Defensive Driving for ticket dismissal.

Catfish
01-24-2005, 01:57 AM
First - Thanks for correcting my screw up Wide. I'll try and not let it happen often. LOL

Second - Yes it was the basic coarse. I do plan on taking the Advanced coarse when they open it back up next month. I think this is a must for anyone wanting to get into or in alot of cases, back into riding.

momsridin
01-24-2005, 03:48 AM
I took the MSF course last year and loved it. I took another Motorcycle Saftey Course about 23 years prior to that. I don't know if it was a MSF class or someother type but it was a good course that taught me I wanted to ride someday.

Hollywood
01-24-2005, 03:51 AM
I am signed up to take the course in early March. I took one in college but that has been a while. Always looking for ways to be safer.

Tony
01-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Second - Yes it was the basic coarse.

Congrats on passing the course! I was interested in which course, as I had taken the basic and was wondering about the advanced. The basic course is a great course to take for sure. Plus you get the insurance discount, which is always a plus!!!

Good Job!!!

POL_Boss
01-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Congrats! I just finished the experienced course for the same reasons. I needed a new sticker to get on base. It was fun and a good way to spend the day with other bikers, enhance skills, and get rid of some bad habits.

I guess that insurance discount doesn't work if you have USAA. Anyone have USAA and a MSF discount?

Buster
01-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Congrats Catfish

My wife is signed up to take the course in March.

Catfish
01-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Well POL Boss I just called USAA and I don't get one either. I think that some insurance companies do give one but not them. I really like their company though and will keep all of my policies with them.

Buster, it's a good course. Your wife will enjoy it.

66impala
01-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Hello, I took my course this june and did get 12 points for the emergency stopping. It was raining the day of the test, and the first person dropped her bike doing the emergency stopping, which spooked everyone. Other than that I read Proficient Motor Cycling.

Drebbin
01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Hello, I took my course this june and did get 12 points for the emergency stopping. It was raining the day of the test, and the first person dropped her bike doing the emergency stopping, which spooked everyone. Other than that I read Proficient Motor Cycling.

WELCOME !!!! But please tell me -- do you own a 66 Impala ? DREBBIN

TOBYPABP
01-29-2005, 04:33 PM
I also will be attending a safety course in Ohio. This does three things in Ohio.

1. Obviously makes you are more experienced rider
2. Lowers your insurance 5%
3. Keeps you from only taking manuaverability test to get license

wreckerman
01-29-2005, 05:14 PM
i have taken the advance rider couarse , and although i thought it would be a joke , i must say it was a good tune up for me , a lot of the stuff i was doing was the samew as the class was teaching but i did come away with a few new skills so it was a day well spend as far as i am concerned

fnzen
01-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Hey guys just finished my classes today. PASSED with perfect score.

Although I used one of their smaller 250cc bikes. (Did not want to drop mine as I have not ridden in over 20 years.)

In California it has been suggested by many folks to take this class instead of just testing at the DMV for the full motorcycle license. I would have to agree as an "almost" inexperienced rider it brought my confidence level up and the instructors do their best to point out how to do the manuvers better.

The basic is for 2 days and @ 5 hours per day.

The best line the instuctor had upon completion was that "we had been qualified to ride a 250cc motorcycle at 15 mph in a controlled parking lot"

After class went riding through the Santa Susana Pass(TWISTY) with a big grin on my face!

Here is the websight if anyone is interested, the experienced classes are in these websights also:

http://www.msf-usa.org/

http://www.ca-msp.org/

The only complaint that I would have is since most of the folks in the class have riding experience,and if you are a total newbie( never driven a bike) you might have difficulty keeping up. This happened to my wife and she is SO BUMMED, as she was asked to come back at a later time. This sucks as the class is $198 bucks non refundable. However there is a 3 months timeframe to come back. (Damn and Im stuck looking for a "practice bike for cheap)[/b]

macsRKC
01-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Catfish:

I did the same thing you did: took the course then bought a Road King Classic. My experience before the couse was mostly off-road riding on the various dirt bikes my buds had (Ma and Pa "no dirtbikes in our house!).

The next thing I did after getting the bike was to run the course again and practiced in an abandoned parking lot, doing the emergency stopping, swerving, weaving, etc. Got me much more comfortable on the big King vs. the Honda I took the course on. Can even do the figure 8 in the smaller box!

Here in Missouri, if you take (and pass) the course, you don't have to take the driving portion at the MoHP, just the written.