PDA

View Full Version : WHATCHOUT HERE I COME...

gliderider94
05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Been talkin real hopefully about building my 94 dresser into a special needs trike which might get me back on the road again. Funny how things turn out. A few good friends of mine came buy the other night and litteraly dragged me out and down to one of the local indy biker bars around here. Ended up tossin back a few with an old time retired rider and builder. A guy who ran in the same circles as me but for some reason I never met. Actually I do know the reason. The coolest guys don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone else and are usually content to sit in the shade and view the frreak show simply as a spectator. You can pass right by these guys if you have your head up you ass, but they're the ones you really want to hang with once you've rid yourself of all the posers.

Anyway... We get invited back to this guys house and end up partying till the wee hours in his garage where he has an impressive collection of self built old school scooters. I got drunk and started crying in my beer about how I'll probably never ride again because it would be too much work and I no longer have the friends I would now need to help me accomplish such aa seamingly insurmountable task. Well next thing I know, me, him and his old lady are in the house and on the internet and by sunup we had hashed out at least three different plans as well as identified suppliers for every concievable part we'de need to meet the special needs that would be need to be concidered.

Plan 1) With the economy he way it is, there are a lot of nice trikes of all types on the market. Instead of building one, just buy one and adapt it to my needs then recoup some of the cost by selling my current dresser, not a bad idea.

Plan 2) The most aggressive and thechnically appealing. There's a company in Texas called Mystery Designs that build a nascar type independant swing arm trike rear end that sinply bolts up in place of the swing arm. It actually allows the buike to TILT and lean into the turns much like a two wheeler, up 10 degrees. The unit will be built to order to work with ANY users choice of wheels, tires, fenders etc. They can be built as a body off trike but they akso offer a wide veriety of body kits. Really the way I would like to go but somewhat cost prohibitive.

Plan 3) This is the way I've decided to go. There is a company called Voyager Products out of Ottawa, Ill. which makes a two wheeled bolt on outrigger set up (much like training wheels) which keeps the bike itself as unaltered and riding by it's orginal rear drive wheel and drivetrain. It's the most cost affective, and can be installed by more then a few experienced and certified indipendant bike shops in my vacinity. It dosen't look at all as dorkey as those original Training Wheel like units that first came out. It takes about an hour to install by an experience technition, dosen't require modifications to the bike and, it not only has the lean effect I spoke of (up to 12 degrees) but has a rear bumper like cross member that is stout enough to serve as a platform for a wheelchair rack.

All three plans will require that the same special needs be meet...

A) I can no longer shift with my left foot or actualte the rear break with my right foot. EVERYTHING has to be done using the hands. Not a problem. We found a company in Floriday ran by special needs rider that offers a one stop source for everything you could imagine to meet nearly any special need out there

I will leave the clutch lever as is, on the left handlebar and shift gears using an electrically activate pneumatic actuator which will bolt to the left front downtube and atatch to the shifter lever without any welding, drilling or other modifications to the original bike frame. The "Up or Down" shifting will be controlled by an UP/Down toggle type switch mounted near the left handgrip whch can easily be activate by thumb while still operating the clutch lever. This is already in use by hundreds of riders on the street today as well as on dirt biikes and 4 wheelers to name just a few.

The same company also makes a two grip break lever for the right handlebar which will oporate both the front and rear breaks at the same time usung only one hand.

B) I gotta fab some sort of wheelchair rack to which I can stow and retrieve my wheelchair while seated on the bike. My goal here is total indipendace should I choose to ride by myself. Otherwise I gotta find a new old lady to stow and deal with my chair, and I KNOW I aint raeady for that shit. (maybe I could train a special needs monkey - oh well, thats an entirely different project).

Looks like I'm running out of excuses.

Hide yer beer and lock up yer ugly sister. There could be a Bear sighting in your vacinity reel soon.
groucho

Ratbike
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey Bear good to hear your are still around, not to mention that you wish to take on such a project as to put you posterior back in the saddle. I have seen the voyage kit on some bikes around here and they look to be well built.

GzrGldGeo
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Very cool. I hope it all works out for you.

FATBACK
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Bear,
Im most excited to see you are possibly going to be out riding again. This is great news as well as therapy for the soul. If theres anything I can do just holler! We will pack up the crew and head your way.

Godspeed Bro. drunks

arthureld
05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Will be great to see you back in the saddle again Bear.
Rigging up the wheelchair holder shouldn't be to much of an issue.
There's a guy around her who has a bicycle rigged up on his Moto Guzi.
Not sure why he does it, but the way he has it on there doesn't look as bad as you'd think.

wreckerman
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
keep the faith , sounds like your head is in the right direction now ! it all takes time sweat and work , will see you out here before long

RacingOrangeRoadster
05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you'll be on the road real soon. All those options are viable and you'll be able to pull off some bad-ass quick shifts with that solenoid. You could get one of those swingarms they use for hauling boats on top of your car so when you got out of your wheelchair all you would have to do is swing it around to the back of the bike.

HeadDoc
05-29-2009, 06:45 PM
goodluck bear ... an interesting project and the rewards will be great when you accomplish it

Swill
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Good Luck Bear. Nothing that can't be solved with redneck engineering, a welding kit and a couple of cases of beer.

Padog
05-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Good to hear Bear! I am not too far south from you and I have a full shop with HF tig, mig and stick welders and am getting ready to set up my mill and lathe so if theres anything I can help with or equipment you need just say the word!

Kagan
05-29-2009, 07:24 PM
When did you start drinking beer? groucho

Detroit and Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup and now this?? drunks

Excellent news Bear. I rode to NC on May 15/16 and was wondering what I was going to do for a road trip this summer. Jazda)):

MedievalWoman
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
You'll have to posts pics when your ready to ride. So glad to hear your almost ready to get back in the wind. I love to read your posts. Don't be a stranger. Jazda)):

boulderbean
05-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Glad you are ready to take on a project like this, hope you are in the wind again soon. Good luck,
bb

coolhawg6622
05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Man that sounds awesome!!!!! I have a ton of OEM "older" Harley parts at my disposle so if need anything, all I need is a part number, and if I have it its yours.........no charge!! bottomsup

Now get to work dammit!!! I will meet ya half way and buy the beer!!! Jazda)):

OldBikerGuy
05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Welcome back .. can't wait to see the trike. I think you made the right choice, that is, converting your '94. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

JD
05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Welcome back, nice to see you posting again :)

CoolMaker
05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Way to go Bear, sounds like a workable plan. Glad to hear you are getting started on it... woot

Wild1Poet2
05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
sounds impressive. you must be an engineer the way you lay out your project options and selection.

I like the monkey idea too.....

Trip7
05-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Here's another place you may look into.

Freebirds Custom (http://www.freebirdcustommotorcycles.com/CustomTrikes.html)

wildthing
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Awesome news Bear. Good luck with your project.

Wide
05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Cool Bear

Trike with suspension that has some geometry in it sounds sweet.

We have a shit load of those Can-Am things running around here and shit do they handle.

Adding on a place for your chair could double as something functional to the design instead of just being a "carry on".

OldSalt
05-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a great plan! drunks

tradrockrat
05-31-2009, 12:16 AM
About goddamn time Bear. The roads are empty without you on them. Plus the salt from tears really fucks up the taste of beer.

gliderider94
05-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Good to hear Bear! I am not too far south from you and I have a full shop with HF tig, mig and stick welders and am getting ready to set up my mill and lathe so if theres anything I can help with or equipment you need just say the word!

Don't be suprised if I give you a holler.

One of the existing trikes I was thinking about buying and then rigging to meet my needs is in Erie at a place called great lakes motors. A dad and son named John & Seth whom I've never meet personally but who have been very helpfull over the phone. If I hezd down that way to take a look at this trike I will definately let you know.

Got a brother in Slippery ROck not too far south of you.

gliderider94
05-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Detroit and Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup and now this??

It's on like Donkey Kong pal.

wondering wht I was going to do for a road trip this summer.

Threaten me with a good time will ya.

You know you got a place to stay whenever you roll through here (that goes for the rest of you mugs too).

gliderider94
05-31-2009, 03:38 AM
We have a shit load of those Can-Am things running around here and shit do they handle.

The Can-Am spyder is an option I've been concidering since before I ever even got out of the hospital. They have offered the outomaitc trams for the past few years and there is nothing out there with the quality and performance reputaion of Bomdardier, The Can-Am, like most stuff from Bombardier has a Rotax engine in it. Rotax has long been the engine of choice for the ultra light and light aircraft insustry and are virtually bullitproof.

The only drawback to a Can-Am is that it does not currently have a way to rig a revers drive gear or motor. A I cannot push a scoot backwards on my own, having a reverse is a big deal to me. If anyone can offer a workaround to that, I'd buy a Spyder in a by God New York minute.

Way back in the late seventies I rigged a reverse trike out of a V,W, front suspension and an old 750 Kowasaki. Everyone thought it was the freakiest thing they had ever seen but they all wanted to ride it.

Padog
06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Bear I am in Erie Michigan just south of you but I moved here from Erie Pa. I know John Pacilio from great lakes motors he is a good guy we used to work together years ago I have met Seth but he was in diapers the last I saw of him lol. His brother and I were pretty good friends until him and the law had a little disaggrement about how he was making an income now hes a guest of the state <_<

I get back that way often so again if I can be of any help just let me know.

Update! Bear I sent you a pm they do now offer the Spyder with reverse. As of 08 they replaced the sixth gear with a reverse gear. My local indy shop is working on one right now I have to head back over at lunch time to pick up the main bearings for one of my Busa engines I will try to snap some pics of the reverse and how it works.

firestarter
06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Bear glad to hear you are going to build a bike and ride again. Sounds like you have a good plan. I hope it all comes together for you with no problems and set backs.

junior
06-01-2009, 08:48 PM
great to hear bud.....

another thing to consider is simply adding a sidehack to your current dresser. when i was in hawaii i saw a guy wheel out from kona hd and look at a glide with a side hack. the bikes were all parked in front very close to one another. he asked me if i would mind wheeling the glide out. i did and noticed a rocker switch under the lh grip. i also noticed a push/pull solenoid mounted where the foot shifter would go. long and short, this bike was indeed his.

i watched him wheel up to the side and he did this kinda flip flop thing and boom he was up on the bike. the chair folded in the middle, and he reached down and swept it up and over into the sidehack relatively easily. the bike started, and off he went.

don't know if this suits you, but it sure did him. let us know how you make out.....

j

Rice-out
06-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I was at a local bar one night and a group of guys rode up and one of them had a side car with a wheel chair in it. His friends helped him off the bike into the wheel chair and off they went into the bar. He got everyones attention in the lot, guy had a lot of determination to ride. Keep the faith bear, it can be done.

busyblonde
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Great to see you posting again, Bear. I've got the Voyager kit on my bike, and love it. Not the same as riding a regular bike, but not hard to get used to, either. Got a great guy in our area who can do almost anything needed to a bike that you might need to do. He's the one I bought my bike - with the Voyager kit - from.

You'll be back in the saddle soon, I'm sure. From all I've read - not knowing you - it's inevitable. You are truly an inspiration, and I'm pulling for you!

mrpiff
06-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Good to hear you have a plan. Now get building! :o)

I hope you keep us updated as you do the build! Sounds like the fever to ride is back, so I know you will make it happen.