PDA

View Full Version : While I Continue Saving For My Harley,History and a Question

mightywarlock
01-24-2005, 11:59 AM
When I was younger, I grew up with a busted up old red motorcycle outside my house. I have no idea what kind of bike it was, but one day it just disappeared. I had always wanted to learn how to ride, but it was never much of a priority. I was told by my mother that my father was killed in a motorcycle accident. Nonetheless, I had always wanted the mythical "Harley", but as i said, it was never a priority or much of a thought when i was a child.
For some reason, however, I have always been drawn to riding on 2 wheels. I can remember hopping on my Huffy and disappearing from morning until nightfall until one day it disappeared...some scumbag had stolen my hot yellow bike. Then I remember getting another bike, this time another Huffy, but it was a road bike...back when they still made those. Again, my fondest memories were on 2 wheels, where I decided where i would go and when I would return. Riding around town, up hills, into the next town or towns far away...I just enjoyed the freedom that being on 2 wheels gave me.
time goes by, this bike gets stolen as well, and we get older and move onto driving cars to get around. (however, one day, a year later, the bike that was stolen appeared in the exact spot it had disappeared from the year earlier...albiet, a bit rusty).
Time continues to pass without riding until one day trying to decide on an exercise I actually enjoy leads me to remember all the good times and freedom of being on my bike...which makes me think about Mountain Biking. This time around, not getting a Huffy...going Big...spend thousands on a mountain bike...and have loads of fun...then get a Road Bike as well, and ride every single day.
The love for riding and the lousy weather in my native NY drives me to pack up and move to CA to escape all the rain and head for sunshine...2 bikes get sold in exchange for 3 much more expensive and even better bikes, even start my very own mountain biking club...and all the while, the dream of the Harley is still a dream...
And then it happens.
this past year, while visiting the family back in NY, I discover one of my younger cousins has bought a motorcycle and is taking his training class to get his license. What a revelation! If my younger cousin can do it, well, then why can't I!?? After all, i have spent so many years riding on 2 wheels, it has to be in my blood!
So once back home in cali, check out the classes and sign up for one almost immediately...buy a shadow 600 as my beginner bike, ride that sucker day in and day out, everywhere, everyday...but know deep down that there is this irrational feeling I must have a Harley...but what can I do...I can't afford it...
The shadow 600 needs a little work, and I prematurely decide to sell it.
Still unable to afford even a sportster, i decide to buy another shadow, but this time a harley clone...the 1100 ACE. Buying this bike is just filler, while I begin the irrational savings for the Harley. I work nonstop. 2 jobs. 7 days a week.
Every ounce of energy is going towards this Must Have Harley.
And then the unthinkable happens.
on my way to work, on my motorcycle,
some stupid lady in a Suburban decides to make a left turn right in front of me. I yank on the brakes in enough time to not get hit head on, but still skid right into the truck and get my leg stuck in between the bike and the truck.
Now my bike is messed up, and my leg hurts.
Anger fills me at ignorant drivers inability to pay attention...
it begins to fill me with rage and adds even more drive to my quest.
previous to getting the first bike and continuing to before the accident, i had spent days just visiting harley dealerships trying to decide what bike i want to get, trying to figure out what i should get, trying to figure out what i can afford. Perhaps 2 have been on the burner for a while, wanted a vrod, but realized i wanted to get further on a gas tank.
always loved the wide glide, but i am 5'6 and felt the controls were not comfortable.
but didnt feel comfortable on a low rider either.
toss it back and forth for months on end all the while riding my honda's.
and then the accident.
now my daily riding has disappeared, and with my leg messed up, i cant even get on the bicycles either...
Ever so driven now...
work nonstop saving every single penny, eating more at home, all for that far elusive Harley.
I'm coming dammit. Just you wait!
I have since decided that if i am going to spend as much as i have to get what i want, I am getting what i want! I have decided on the WideGlide and will figure out something for the controls.
but i still wonder and hope i am making the right choice. I want something i can ride every day, around town, and take on the highways for very long trips...a road king is just not what i am looking for and dont want the bulk. My 1100 Ace has shown me this.
what I ask of you kind people is this...
by choosing the WideGlide, am I really making the right choice?

I'm coming dammit...
very very soon...

NY90
01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey there mightywarlock, enjoy the forums.

Twice you mention the "irrational" aspect of owning a Harley.
If buying American, feeling the comaraderie, the power beneath you, being free to roam, feeling the wind in your face, is irrational, then, welcome to the largest group of irrational riders out there.
As far as what ride is right for you, that has got to be the most personal of choices. Yes, each bike has its own personality and purpose, but , you can find one that suits different needs.
Detatchable Bags and a windshield can turn a bar hopper into a long range cruiser.
Good luck decidng. Remember that any Harley you choose will retain it's value, unlike a Jap bike, so if the need arises to change, you would not be taking a major hit on resale.
Ride Safe,90

TexasFatBoy
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Welcome aboard - lots of good info and advice and ton of friendly folks here to help you out. 1beer

As 90 says, the ultimate choice of what bike will work for you is a personal one. First, take a look at THIS ARTICLE (http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12&mode=&order=0&thold=0) by member TomF on the differences between the various families of Harley.

Once you've decided what you want the bike for (and it sounds like that decision has already been made), then go rent several different models for a day each to get the feel of each one. Many dealers will apply part or all of the rental cost to the purchase of a new bike. And you're right, the seating position, control position, bar position, etc. can all be changed, but renting the different bikes will at least get you in the ballpark of what feels comfortable for you.

Good luck on the healing and feel free to hop in anywhere!

BikerBabe
01-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Wow, what a story and I can relate to a lot of what you say as far as the passion goes....I am sure everyone here can for that matter. I can't tell ya whether the Glide is a bike for you, that is a personal choice. But as far as owning a Harley, there aint' nothing like it. I almost bought a Volusia, but my hub insisted I have a Harley for many reasons, one being it is American made and the second, resale value. I have a Sporty because it was what we could afford and I didn't want my first ride to be something too nice and too expensive, for fear of not being able to handle it and trashing it. So you see, you make the decision, not anyone else....Good Luck! And I wish you a quick mending of that leg of yours!

Tony
01-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Welcome to HCG. Glad you didnt get messed up from the Suburban issue. Sucks when people just dont care who they kill as their trip to the mall is more important than a life.

Anyway, Good Luck on your Harley quest. Keep the faith man!!!

Horse
01-24-2005, 08:10 PM
For some reason, however, I have always been drawn to riding on 2 wheels.

The love for riding and the lousy weather in my native NY drives me to pack up and move to CA to escape all the rain and head for sunshine and all the while, the dream of the Harley is still a dream...

And then it happens.
this past year, while visiting the family back in NY, I discover one of my younger cousins has bought a motorcycle and is taking his training class to get his license. What a revelation! If my younger cousin can do it, well, then why can't I!?? After all, i have spent so many years riding on 2 wheels, it has to be in my blood!

...but know deep down that there is this irrational feeling I must have a Harley...but what can I do...I can't afford it...

I begin the irrational savings for the Harley. I work nonstop. 2 jobs. 7 days a week.

Every ounce of energy is going towards this Must Have Harley.

i had spent days just visiting harley dealerships trying to decide what bike
toss it back and forth for months on end

Ever so driven now...
work nonstop saving every single penny, eating more at home, all for that far elusive Harley.

I'm coming dammit. Just you wait!
I have decided on the WideGlide and will figure out something for the controls.
but i still wonder and hope i am making the right choice.
what I ask of you kind people is this...
by choosing the WideGlide, am I really making the right choice?

I'm coming dammit...
very very soon...

mightywarlock welcome to HCG. What a story!!

Most first post are not a detailed, or complete as yours, and after reading it I feel like were old friends already.

If anyone can make a rational case for buying a Harley what I read in your message is rational to me. Your head, heart and soul is in this purchase, DO IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!!

As for the choice of rides sound like you know what you want. Renting is the best way to make the final decision. You dealer will likely credit the rental cost towards the purchase. Money and time well invested.

Take a look at the various other threats on this subject for a lot of great advise on buying.

You are already Harley!!!!

Bhamgreg
01-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Welcome to HCG, hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I can relate to your size, since I'm only 5' 5 1/2" tall. Some of the bikes I looked at were waaaay out of my price range but the 883 Low just didn't feel right. I fell in love with my vivid black XL 1200C Sportster and I can put both feet down at red lights and not feel like I have to bounce back and forth to remain upright.

Good luck with your recovery, rent a Sportster, Low Rider, anything that catches your eye, and ride it where you will normally ride. If it feels RIGHT, buy it, if not, keep looking.

Hang in there, YOUR Harley is just around the corner, now find that corner.

mightywarlock
01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
the question of bike choice is perhaps a bit misconstrued from the ramblings upon which i wrote that long winded tale, but basically, the questions i am seeking have not been been answered anywhere i look.
I am pretty set on the wide glide.
however, after months of searching for reviews and the like, i cannot get a serious gauge from wide glide owners if it is the right choice for what i want and need.
After the wonderfully easy riding shadow 600 i learned what i thought i wanted in a motorcycle...something easy to maneuver, which was something the 600 was, but also learned what i did not like, which was vibration...especially in the handlebars. I took the bike from l.a. to vegas and after 50 miles on my way my hands were numb and i discovered my seat was very uncomfortable after a while and actually became increasingly uncomfortable to the point that once in vegas i had to go to the Ross store there and bought a pillow which i bungied to the bike in order to ride back home. that ride taught me that while i loved that little bike, i wanted something i could take on long trips comfortably. So i decide to sell it (for more money than i paid for it) and still cant afford a harley yet, so thats how i came to the 1100 ACE. Big and bulky, floorboards, looks kind of like a road king...perhaps this will be a better choice? well, no handlebar vibrations, but the floorboards vibrated too much and made my feet numb...hard to use the controls when your feet are falling asleep. I also discover i am not as comfortable on the bulky bike as i was on the skinny one...and i also discovered the way i like to sit on a bike, kind of leaned back and not forward, and also how i like to sit IN the bike and not ON it.
So now the choices have begun to narrow down a bit...i know for the long rides a road king or other touring rig would be ideal fo the long hauls, but as i just stated, i learned i do not feel as comfortable with the bulk, and i always feel as if i am sitting on top of those bikes instead of in.
before i knew anything or did any research or thinking into any of this, my first visit to a harley dealership was to check out a sportster, and then thought i wanted a 1200custom. Well that didnt last long as the more i thought about it i decided i didnt want the sportster, but something different instead. that first visit to the dealer I was given a brochure and immediately liked the way the VROD and also the wideglide looked, but it wasnt what i was looking for as i made question after question in search of what to plunk my dollar down on.
At one dealership i sat on a Fat Boy and briefly was heading toward that direction as well, as it felt incredibly like the 600 i had, but as i said, i have become increasinly wanting of a leaner machine than a bulkier one.
Then i went through this phase of wanting a water cooled bike due to living here in l.a. and the fear of getting stuck in traffic and not being able to move...well, i got over that one pretty quickly...but it led me to really consider the VROD for quite a while...although after my riding my 600 with my 2.8 gallon tank, i decided it was not ideal with the small gas tank in the vrod. I remember being very tired of having to stop at the gas station daily or running out of gas on the freeways or having to turn back while riding on pch and ruining my ride because of the fear of running out of gas...
all this has led me away from the Vrod, even though i have taken it for a ride at a couple different dealerships and really like the way it rides...but it was just so quiet i never even knew what gear i was in...
ahh, the wallet dictates i should be looking more at a superglide as it's the lowest priced twincam88, but when i sit on it, i just dont feel comfortable.
Custom doesnt feel too bad, perhaps one of the more comfortable ones, and the low rider which i am sure fits right, makes me feel cramped with the mid controls, as the controls on the honda's are just a bit further than the harley mid controls, but not as far as the forward controls...kind of in the middle...and what i was used to.
decisions back and forth and all over the place until finally i keep heading back to the notion i should get what i originally wanted, the one that has kept it's appeal the whole time to me, the wide glide, in a nice black pearl paint.
at first i thought it didnt fit me correctly, but i am sure there are workarounds for the way my leg fits around the aircleaner to the controls. i found a fix on one of the other message boards and am sure i could figure something out.
well, after all this tossing about i decided that if i am spending all this money i might as well get what i wanted to begin with.
but...
is it the right choice for my needs?
so as i have runoff with the storytelling once again, the question still remains...for what i want a bike to be able to do...that being great for the long haul (i.e. riding cross county if i feel like it), or just commuting to work, or even taking a ride up the the twisties, is the wideglide specifically what i really should get?
i want reviews from people who have them or have had them or have ridden them in the past...or give me a reason why i should not get it and look at something else.
As i said, i am fairly certain i want it, but if I can get a truly honest convincing reason as to why i should not choose it as my steed, now is not too late for me to consider a different model.
so...
What'll it be folks?

mightywarlock
01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
oh, and just a side note...
to make things even stickier...
has anyone seen the Harley website recently?
i noticed something was added today.
If you have read anything i have written above you will see a chief complaint as to why i would not want the vrod was the small gas tank.
but lo and behold, harley announces 3 new models today...one being a 5 gallon "Street Rod". nice, but still thinking wideglide.
just thought it was an interesting side note today

TexasFatBoy
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, I guess the first question is, have you ridden the Wideglide?

As for the lowrider, you will definitely feel more "in" the bike on the low rider and you can always change the controls.

Having never owned a wide glide, I can't help you there, but I do have the fatboy and I immediately removed the floorboards and added forward controls to it, so remember that anything is possible.

Although one word of caution - it seems one of your biggest concerns is vibration. Well, even with the TC88b, there is still going to be vibration simply because it's a harley. Now, you can smooth out that vibration and do some mods to change the particular speed where it's the worst, but the very thing you don't like is one of the reasons I like my Fatboy - the vibes!

Good luck - and maybe some WG owners will be in to share their thoughts as well. B)

wreckerman
01-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I enjoyed your first post and thank you for sharing it with us. As far as what bike to get, I think thats been handled in the previous posts, and not wanting to be redundit I will just take this time to welcome you to the HCG family. Take your time while healing up and have a look around, the story archives is a great place to start.

NY90
01-25-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm sure glad you've decided to abstain from writing long winded, rambling posts. :blink2: :lol:
As far as the vibration is concerned, Stay with the TC88B. I know that the new Twin Cams are much smoother than even the Evo's, but if it's a concern, go for it.

Buster
01-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Warlock

Glad to hear your still even wanting a m/c after the accident. I quit riding for 19 years after my last m/c accident.

No one on here can yell you what kind of bike to buy that would be just right for you. I think we have all been through the same thing. I know I felt the same as you. I looked and looked at the different models and finally decided on the Low Rider. I love the way it looks and rides. Very nimble and agile. When my wife decided she needed a bike of her own, we bought her a Wide Glide because one of her girlfriends had one and she really liked it.

Having put quite a few miles on both bikes, they are both great rides. To me they ride very similar but as someone pointed out earlier, I feel like I am in the LR and more or less sitting on top of the WG. The mini apes on the WG are very comfortable. I just don't like the looks of them. I put drag bars on my LR even though the stock bars were very comfortable and easy to reach. I am not particulary tall, almost 6 foot and my wife is 5'9". She has no trouble with the forward controls. That was the first thing I put on my Low Rider before I even brought it home from the dealer.

I think you will find that either bike will travel well on the long trips. I just put a set of detachable saddle bags on the WG so we could make long trips and haul her treasures with her. Then be able to take em off when she didn't want them on. I use a T-bag on my LR. You can always change the seat out for something more comfortable for the long hauls. Just about everyone changes the seat. I think Harley makes em unconfortable on purpose!

I have never ridden a V-Rod even though I am really wanting to so I can't help you there. I don't think you can go wrong with the WG. I enjoy riding ours alot when she'll let me.

Good luck on the decision. Sounds like you will be ready to ride!

HeadDoc
01-27-2005, 08:55 PM
here's my 2 cents. I ride an 04 WideGlide. Its handled well in every situation I've been in. to me it is not nearly as intimidating as some of the more massive harleys in a slow, tight u turn...but I'm sure ya get used to whatever ya ride. I might throw a fork brace on it just because its cheap and a lot of the real experts around here have indicated that it is a worthwhile add on.

I liked the look of the FXDWG for my tastes and it has balls enough to go across country and it obviously can hop from bar to bar around town. The WideGlide had a lot of the chrome on it that I woulda put on anyways and there is still plenty ya can do to make it Your ride and reflect your tastes...so they don't all look the same sitting in front of hooters or whever ya go.

It is smoother than some of the Harleys bein a TCa with rubber motormounts but you still feel its heartbeat. I have not had any problems with foot peg vibration at all unless I'm crankin to redline and then your feet will buzz, but Im pretty sure all the big Vs will do that too. What i really like is the forward controls....I'm 5 10 and a half and a healthy 210 lbs and it just fit me right. But because I'm pretty average build I fit on a lot of the Hogs. I like the way your body is positioned with legs up front and ya just look cool! when you're cruisin' (no offense to any of the other riders).

Would I trade my WG...not right now nope... would I like another model too? hell yeah! I love the springers, RKs, Heritages, Fatboys, etc. etc. Probably most of us on the HCG get the urge and excitement everytime somebody posts a pic of their ride <_< So go rent and really ask your self what kinda ridin are you gonna do. good luck and keep us posted...it is cool that you are bouncing your thought off of the group here.

hefitz04wg
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
O.K....I'll chime in here. My opion is somewhat biased but I really like the Wide Glide. It's a quick and nimble bike that will run through the twisties and hug the road. I ride mine on long trips without any problems.

Don't get me wrong. It's not an Ultra Classic out on the Interstates, but if you like the seat of the pants feel of riding a motorcycle all the Dyna models will give you that.

Vibration.........It's a harley. The Dyna's TC88 is isolation(rubber) mounted and does have some vibration at idle. Put at speed, it's smooth right out. I have heard, but can't confirm, that the TC88B is just the opposite. Smooth at idle and starts to vibrate at speed.

As a note, the Softail Standard is a good solid Harley and a little easier on the pocket book. Also, the Softails have more accessory options down the road. I just didn't care for the silver engine. Therefore I went with the FXDWG.

And I've loved every minute of it..................

FXDennis
01-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Warlock, Your story (minus the accident) sounds very similar to mine. I rode metric for many years. Then after not riding for quite a while I started seriously saving for a Harley.
At 5'7" I also find the forward controls of the WG a reach, and I did not feel I was quite ready to tackle the bulk of a touring model. I was able to demo ride a Super Glide at the dealer, and that pretty well sealed the deal for me.
For what it's worth I have settled on the Low Rider, have one ordered for April. Love the blacked out motor, chrome, and the way the bike feels under me. I also want to be able to do some longer rides so I'm planning to buy detachable bags and windshield. Can't tell you yet if it was the best choice, but I can't wait to find out :D

HIGHNWIDE
01-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Warlock,

Truly digging my Wide forces me to comment. I have an '03 and before I bought her, I rode/rented every bike 'cept the Super and the Springer. I kept coming back to the Wide. I love the softail "look" but (personally) did not like the vibration at speed. If you dig the looks of the wide and have a way to move the pegs back - go for it. This bike does everything well. Rode her out to sturgis last year - 3 days over 1500 miles and she was awesome - even loaded down with passenger and stock seat. In the twisties she is a peg-grinder (although as said above I also am going to get the fork brace and rear shocks). Everyday, everywhere, this bike does it well and looks good doing it.

I waaaay over paid for my bike, but there is not ONE day that I have regretted it. I will NEVER sell this bike. :wub: :D

All that being said, before purchase you should definetely rent/ride EVERY bike that you are thinking about - definetely worth it in the long run!

Good Luck! and look forward to takin' a run with ya when you get her!

mightywarlock
01-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the replies folks, i very much appreciate it.
just a question though.
what would be the benefit of a fork brace? why would I want it, and what does it really do? Make the fork stiffer? change the way it feels? something else?

also,
I have heard it before and a few of you have mentioned it as well, the idea of renting before you buy. I have had the opportunity to ride the V-rod and a superglide sport at a dealership i will most likely buy from when i am ready. I know i should rent a wideglide, and still may, but here's the deal...
I am saving up to buy my new bike in CASH...so right now, every single hundred i save counts big time towards the end result, that being my new bike! i may still rent one when i have some time and my leg is a bit better just to make sure i really do like the wideglide, but i cant help but think the $100+ i have to spend is a hundred taken away from the bike.
As i said, at this moment, every single dollar is counting...perhaps what i can really do is once i really have enough $$ (which is only a few months off as i am already up to around $10,000 ) perhaps i may begin also looking at used bikes and maybe i will find someone who will let me ride their bike i am looking at...(hey, ya never know...).
anyway, just wanted to address that issue about the whole renting thing...
i cannot emphasize enough how buying in cash is making me be real stingy in a lot of areas at the moment...
now...
back to the fork brace....?
thanks folks!

wreckerman
01-29-2005, 04:12 PM
MightyWarlock, I understand you fustration of not wanting to payout to rent a bike, but if you think about it for a second, I'm sure that once you get to the dealer you can eliminate a few models by just throwing a leg over them and sitting on them for a few minutes. That cost would be nothing, once you have it narrowed down to a few models then test drive them (by renting) the 300-400 hundred dollars you spend now could make the difference between a bike you like or a bike you love which in turn would save you thousands down the road. Now on to fork braces, I have tried a few myself on metrics, and usually it was because of the handling problem were the metrics would flex the tubes and cause a wobble. I have never had a need for one on any of my Harley's sporsters, softails, fl's, and rk's some folks with lighter bikes swear by them, I just don't see the need on Harley's with stock forks.

HIGHNWIDE
01-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Warlock,

Saw an ad back of Thunderpress a few issues ago that a dealer out in the 909 (laidlaws?) was renting cheaper by the hour so you could check out more bikes or take a DMV test. Chucked my copy otherwise I would have more info - sorry.

As far as the brace is concerned, I ride pretty hard in the twisties and have heard that it stiffens it up a bit. Don't really feel alot of flex except on the high-speed sweepers - then, especially with the apes, she likes to move around alot at 90+.

mightywarlock
02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
hey...a lil bit off topic but staying in the same since it is all connected...

I got called today and was told my crashed bike is being totalled, and i keep it.

so what do you guys normally do in these circumstances?

here's my options...

this puts me up about $10,000 saved towards my harley.
still not enough for anything other than a sportster and i am set on the wideglide.
so, what this means is i am not getting it anytime soon since i want to pay in cash for it...most likely wouldnt be there until summer anyway...
so my options are to
1 - sell the crashed honda and hope to get something ok for it...
or
2 - keep it and get it checked out to make sure it is safe and maybe spend a tiny bit of money to make it rideable again, so i can at least be back on a bike for a lil while while i continue saving for the harley, instead of not having a bike at all until the harley comes...

what do you think is the wise choice? spend the money now and ride a lil bit longer, or cut my losses and just get rid of it on ebay or somewhere?

wreckerman
02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
if the bike was totaled, i would say it would take more then a few bucks to fix it , so i would cut and run .......sell it as is

Old_Evo
02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Warlock, I'm going to throw out a 3rd option that has always worked me. See, I have never owned a brand new bike in my life.
I was able to pick up a really nice used bike cheap enough to put a little money into it and truly make it my own. I'm able to build a bike that I have dreamed about for years all because I bought a good used one. I could not nor would I make those changes on a new bike.
I know for a fact there are alot of really nice used bikes out there right now.

This has worked for me and it could maybe work for you.
Just my .02 cents worth

Horse
02-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I got called today and was told my crashed bike is being totalled, and i keep it.

Dump it. Putting any money into it just puts you behind in getting the bike that you want.

MLC
02-12-2005, 12:56 AM
seems like trying to fix the honda puts off what ya really want to do. just my .02 worth is dump it and go for the WG. do consider renting, my dealer credits up to 4 rentals towards a purchase. i worked out a deal with the rental department to where i could try everything they had for a half day each. i started out with a sporty one morning, had the LR that afternoon. i worked my way through the whole HD family that way. after it was all over with i knew the 1200c or the WG was what i was most comfortable on. i could have probably saved a few bucks by getting a SG and adding everything the WG had that i liked when i ran across a low milage "garage queen" WG that had everything i wanted except saddlebags. all the scrimping and saving was worth the wait. i paid cash and have been grinning ever since. i cant help ya much on the fork brace question. several of my friends have advised it but my WG already had the front end crome package on it and i havent seen a brace that fits with the crome package yet. i havent had a case of the wobbles yet so i dont know if i really need it or not. good luck with your decision.

tradrockrat
02-12-2005, 03:38 AM
Warlock, I'm going to throw out a 3rd option that has always worked me. See, I have never owned a brand new bike in my life.
I was able to pick up a really nice used bike cheap enough to put a little money into it and truly make it my own. I'm able to build a bike that I have dreamed about for years all because I bought a good used one. I could not nor would I make those changes on a new bike.
I know for a fact there are alot of really nice used bikes out there right now.

This has worked for me and it could maybe work for you.
Just my .02 cents worth

My .02 cents as well....

HIGHNWIDE
02-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Mightywarlock,

I agree with them on the 3rd option. If paying cash is that important (kudos to you!) then I would look for used. We are in the best area for picking up a 4 yr. old queen with 1,000 miles on the cheap - yuppie heaven. Keep your eye on Recycler, Cyle buys and Cycle trader and you'll find something. I feel for you, it's not so bad now with the rain, but when that sun comes out --- it's like jonesin' for crack!

HIGHNWIDE
02-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Warlock,

Just curious, which dealership have you been looking at?? Glendale, Van Nuys, Ventura, Simi???

They keep talking about putting one here in Santa Clarita. I don't understand why they haven't yet. Waaaaaay more yup's here than any any of the other cities.

mightywarlock
02-12-2005, 06:55 PM
heh...which dealerships?
i have been to a lot of them in the past few months...for a while back in november i visited a different one ever day hehe...
from all the way down in orange county heading north and out all the way to riverside...
i have hit all of them except for the simi one...
so far, VAn Nuys has been the best to me and even let me ride a few bikes when i was almost ready to finance back in november...i took out their v-rod and they also gave me a dyna sport to ride around for a while...and their "fee" doesnt seem as terrible...so in a certain way, if i end up buying new, i will probably buy from them...just because they have done right by me so far...no other dealer would just give me a bike to try without making me rent one...
if i can find a super low mile used one in perfect condition i will consider it, but....i almost feel i am already going to have to spend so much money, why would i just not buy it brand new? this way i never have to worry...but...like i said, if i found one i wanted, i would have to give it some serious thought...guess we'll see as soon as i get there eh?
now just have to figure what to do with this shadow...

HIGHNWIDE
02-13-2005, 11:27 PM
I bought from Glendale (paid too much) and they've got some really good people, but I agree with you about Van Nuys. Their people are the most down-to-earth and friendly - just regular riders. Mostly seem to have a more blue-collar crowd - not so many yup's. Danny at Van Nuys will give you the straight dope and not dick you around - good people. Good luck with the Honda....