PDA

View Full Version : $tealers do not trade/buy from each other?

PHATHarley4Me
01-27-2005, 03:43 PM
I was at a local bike meet last night boobs (Hooters of course) and I ran into a HD sales person. I told him that I'm picking my bike up next week from TN (900 miles away). I then asked how much would it have been buying it through his store if he where to arrange the deal and have the bike delivered, etc. He said unlike Car $ealerships, HD $tealers do not trade or mix bikes. He would not have been able to get it from them for any less. Any additional cost would of been past to me, they would of been just the middle man. I thought it was pretty interesting. It explains why the $tealer I am buying it from said I had to come to his $ealership and could not have the paperwork done local.

Oh well..
Next week This time, I will be TN picking up my new Toy! :D

Spoiler
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I live within 10 miles of two dealerships and about 30 miles from a third. The one in my city sells at MSRP but includes the first checkup in selling price ... usually $400.00 to $500.00 more (on a Sporty) than the other two. The other two sell at MSRP.

In terms of savings I think you have to look at a few variables ... that is your time and travel expenses to pick up a bike at the cheaper price. You did not include the price difference so I guess for you it is cheaper or more convenient to take the road trip. For me to personally travel 900 miles to pick up a scoot ... it must be one hell of a savings.

For others it may work out to be the same price, or less when you consider gas prices, personal time (maybe lost wages from taking off work), and wear and tear mileage on the vehicle. In some instances it may just be more convenient for the buyer to pay a little more.

Hell ... from personal experience I know some people who actually paid more in the end ... from taking the time to travel to pick up a ride. This was just so they could make a point to the local stealer that they did not like their quote.

Living within three dealers who pretty much sell at MSRP ... I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I do understand that some dealers want to make a buck ... but HD's are easier to get now than your Dad's was.

daver
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, I kinda lucked out also in buying a new Bike. I went looking and the places closest to me seemed to be about the same...MSPR or close to it. The price would've been about 20,850 out the door with the Pipes (SE double barrels), stage 1 and power command.

Then, my wife told me that one of her co-workers suggested I go to a dealer up north that had 5 2004 Heritages that weren't sold last year and he was really ready to get them sold. The colors were, red, 2tone red/silver, 2tone purple/gray, silver and 2tone teal/silver.

So I took a trip to visit. I asked how much I could save by getting one of his 04s instead of an 05...he replied "thousands"...and he did. I took the 2tone teal and silver one.

My savings breakdown:

He took 1500 off MSRP. He didn't charge any labor fees or set-up costs. The Power command, stage 1 were tossed in FOR FREE...and he knocked the pipes down about 100 buck. End price out the door was 18,500...savings of 2,300. Needless to say, I picked it up in late december when the weather broke.

I love it, what a great bike! I am so glad I shopped around. The only differnece was that the 05 had a new headlight style. So my advise would be to just check around if you don't mind getting a 04 modle they are out there and you can probibly save "thousands"! :D

PHATHarley4Me
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I live within 10 miles of two dealerships and about 30 miles from a third. The one in my city sells at MSRP but includes the first checkup in selling price ... usually $400.00 to $500.00 more (on a Sporty) than the other two. The other two sell at MSRP.

In terms of savings I think you have to look at a few variables ... that is your time and travel expenses to pick up a bike at the cheaper price. You did not include the price difference so I guess for you it is cheaper or more convenient to take the road trip. For me to personally travel 900 miles to pick up a scoot ... it must be one hell of a savings.

For others it may work out to be the same price, or less when you consider gas prices, personal time (maybe lost wages from taking off work), and wear and tear mileage on the vehicle. In some instances it may just be more convenient for the buyer to pay a little more.

Hell ... from personal experience I know some people who actually paid more in the end ... from taking the time to travel to pick up a ride. This was just so they could make a point to the local stealer that they did not like their quote.

Living within three dealers who pretty much sell at MSRP ... I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I do understand that some dealers want to make a buck ... but HD's are easier to get now than your Dad's was.

My reason for going 900 miles to get it is because this dealer and others locally did not have the bike I wanted. I wanted an '05 Screaming Eagle - Cobalt Blue. Every dealer I visited here local had the bike for 1 day if that. Repeat customers already had thier "Sales person" on the look out. In fact, I met one of the buyers and he paid an extra 1500 to ensure he was getting it. The funny thing is the $tealer aske what I was paying for it, when I told him MSRP he said..wow...you did good.

Bottom line is....I'm getting the bike I want that $ealers told me they are hard to find now (Cobalt Blue), paying MSRP and I get to take a mini vacation at the same time. :D

It's worth the TRIP and adventure!!!!

rush2112
01-29-2005, 11:42 PM
i searched every HD web site from Maine to Florida and out to Chicago for a 2004 lava red injected night train last month. my local stealer had a used one (18 miles)stage 1 for $21,000 carburated , yes i said 21,000, this guy is a stealer of epic proportions. all biles 3-5k over msrp at least.went to next closest dealer to settle for an 05 vivid blk for msrp. in passing i mentioned what i really wanted, and the salesman said he would be right back.5 minutes later he came back and said he found a lava red 2004 injected night train about 4 hours away on long island. the next day they did a dealer swap< they drove and got me the EXACT bike i wanted.all this with no money down at MSRP $15,300.Dealers can and will swap.at least the ones that know the value of customer service

wreckerman
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
From what I recall, their are also a couple of central warehouses I believe one is here in the midwest, were dealers can swap around their inventory a little, meaning if lets say one dealer has 5 sportsters left on his floor, but everbody wants Rks he can swap out sportsters for rks if there are any there and they work out the price difference. Something along that line a dealer in Joliet was telling me about this once, but it didn't concern me so I didn't pay attention.

Amused
01-30-2005, 12:32 PM
I guess I got lucky. Hall's HD here in Springfield, IL sells at MSRP. I was scared at first because the tags on the bikes were over MSRP, but then they explained how they show the "out the door" price minus tax (tax varies depending on what county you live in) on the bikes. I did the math, and they were at MSRP with a reasonable setup fee.

I may have saved a few hundred by going 50-100 miles away, but that wasn't worth it to me. Not only do I get to pick my bike up closer, but now I have a relationship with my local dealer in the case I need any warranty work/service done.

Oh, and good news. It looks like my bike with be in a few weeks earlier than originally thought. boobs

It might be next week! boobs boobs

wreckerman
01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Amused, I'm glad to hear you had good luck with Hall's they have always been noted for there great service work, they have quite a good reputation.

Amused
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Amused, I'm glad to hear you had good luck with Hall's they have always been noted for there great service work, they have quite a good reputation.

Really? I've looked for info on Hall's and could find very little. A person who works for a dealership in Peoria said some nasty things about Hall's, but I took that for what it was worth.

What are the things you've heard about them?

I am a little worried that Hall's does not have a dyno to tune bikes. And they will be doing my Stage II big bore and Big Shot Longs at delivery. :unsure:

Should I be worried that they don't have a dyno to test it and dial it in?

wreckerman
01-31-2005, 11:27 PM
most every thing i have hurd has been from the abate guys down that way and all of them had good commants

Amused
02-01-2005, 12:02 AM
most every thing i have hurd has been from the abate guys down that way and all of them had good commants

Well that's good to hear. :)

Thanks! boobs

Cary
02-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I have a dealer within 5 miles of my house that sells for MSRP, but you have to enter their lottery. If they don't pick your name, you don't get a bike. I bought my 05 from a dealer about 50 miles away. I got the bike I wanted, off the floor, for $200 over MSRP. I did get them to throw in the alarm for free, so I guess I did OK. The good ending to the story, is now they use my company to service their HVAC systems, so I will eventually get all my money back! :D

Horse
02-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I may have saved a few hundred by going 50-100 miles away, but that wasn't worth it to me. Not only do I get to pick my bike up closer, but now I have a relationship with my local dealer in the case I need any warranty work/service done.

Developing a good, positive relationship with you dealer has value and should always be considered as an integral part of the deal.

HeadDoc
02-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Developing a good, positive relationship with you dealer has value and should always be considered as an integral part of the deal.

how true. Last night I needed a new clutch cover gasket after changing the primary fluid out.....it was 6:30 and the dealer closes at 6..but I swung by just to see and they were still there working up the day's receipts...They let me in got me the gasket and were Damn nice about it ... <_< . that kind of treatment makes me happy to deal with them and drop my $$$$ there instead of elswhere.