PDA

View Full Version : about blank???!!!!! HELP!!!

RANCHHAND
02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I have something called " about blank " that has changed my homepage.I can go to my settings and change it back but it will return it real quick.It will not let me use my default very log either before it pops up again.I have tried finding it to delete it but no luck.I ain't too bright about this stuff so any help is welcome.

Thanks, Ranchhand

RCRider
02-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Looks like you may an app running, like a spyware or adware that 's changing your Home Page. Do you have a Anti-Virus or Spy/Ad ware scan? FYI - be aware of the free stuff on the Internet...

RANCHHAND
02-02-2005, 01:08 AM
I ran the spy bot and found about 20 items. It did not change anything after fixing them. And, no freebies here! Any more ideas as too how to find it?

Ranchhand

black-tie
02-02-2005, 01:17 AM
RanchHand,

Here's the deal. It is a trojan horse virus. The shity part about this trojan is, that it puts many (100's) of registry entries in your machine and then every time you open a browser, it pulls on the strings, and puts their data in. The only spyware removal tool that will eliminate it, is called, AdwareAway.

Go to adwareaway.com try getting the free trial download, if not, pay the $29.00 for it. Believe me, it's the only one that will remove it. So it's well worth the money.

http://www.adwareaway.com

BT

RANCHHAND
02-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Black tie,

Thanks alot, I ran the Adwareaway and it seemed to fix it

Thanks again, Ranchhand

black-tie
02-02-2005, 04:09 AM
You bet!! Glad I could help.

Tony
02-02-2005, 04:32 AM
I had that on my desk top, and it was a bastard to get rid of at first. It comes from CoolWebSearch. These people suck!!

Wide
02-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Sounds like your host file was hijacked, just delete the info they added

Tony
02-02-2005, 06:21 AM
This ones a nasty trojan bastard, as it will reinstall itself after a while. You have to get all of it out of the registry or it keeps coming back.

Tiger
02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
I have something called " about blank " that has changed my homepage.I can go to my settings and change it back but it will return it real quick.It will not let me use my default very log either before it pops up again.I have tried finding it to delete it but no luck.I ain't too bright about this stuff so any help is welcome.

Thanks, Ranchhand Try downloading this and runnig it. I will remove it and its free....
Http://www.download.com/Microsoft-Anti-Spyware/3000-8022_4-10353596.html?tag=lst-0-12