PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Clubs and Associations

GA2006FXSTBI
06-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Looking for some information on clubs and associations in South Georgia. A guy recommended a couple of clubs in my area that are veteran related. I don't know much about the real clubs, and doubt the tv series versions are exactly accurate.
If you have stories to tell on the bonus of being a patched member let me know. Also, what's the difference in a Club and an Association?

OldBikerGuy
06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Also, what's the difference in a Club and an Association?

There is one factual element on Sons of Anarchy -- they have the letters "MC" in the lower right on the back of their vest. This means they're a motorcycle club, like the Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Mongols, etc. If you see RC in the same place, it means it's a riding club, like HOG or No Rules Riders (http://norulesriders.com/) that I'm a member of. MC's are the "full patch" type of club and RC's are just guys who like to get together and ride. I was involved in getting our local chapter created and we contacted the local Angel's chapter to make sure they understood we were just riding buddies, not rivals. So I don't know anything about MC's other than what I read in the paper or see on TV, but read this: MC/RC Differences (http://www.rcvsmc.net/id3.html)

wreckerman
06-07-2011, 03:50 PM
some day there will be a problem with Sons of Anarchy, went to a rally last week that was selling all kinds of shirt and sweat shirts with the sons local on the back, folks "kids" buying them up like there was no tomorrow , some club is going to take this to fair, and feel like there is a infringement on there stuff, and territory, just saying be careful of what you wear

Wild1Poet2
06-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I think that too Wrecker. I've seen guys wearing Anarchy T shirts with three patch logos on the back. I figure sooner or later they'll be going home shirtless.

arthureld
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't even wear HD shirts anymore. lol

Wild1Poet2
06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
yeah I don't own too many "branded" T shirts. There must be a couple somewhere. But I'm basically unbranded now.

arthureld
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Even a good for nuthin makes a good billboard

gliderider94
06-07-2011, 07:27 PM
some day there will be a problem with Sons of Anarchy, went to a rally last week that was selling all kinds of shirt and sweat shirts with the sons local on the back, folks "kids" buying them up like there was no tomorrow , some club is going to take this to fair, and feel like there is a infringement on there stuff, and territory, just saying be careful of what you wear

Wear ANYTHING around here that has an M/C on it without being an actual member of that club (fictional or not) and at the very least you WILL get it taken away from you on the spot. You'll be lucky if you don't get your ass kicked.

To answer the original post here, you don't just "decided" to join an M/C. There's a whole lot more that goes into it. I will say that I NEVER regretted my decision to join an M/C (well, maybe there was that one time, in the back of that police car). BUT, my advice to all but the most hardy, don't do it unless you are ready to completely change your life. It's not something that can be done casually or without complete commitment.

Also, H.O.G. members are vigilant to remind everyone that they are a "Group", not a "club". There are a lot of great groups around for anyone serious about the lifestyle but not wanting or needing the various degrees of bullshit that goies along with joining an M/C. I was a H.O.G. member for years. Great bunch of folks. Can't say enough good thing about them. Also there are groups like the American Legion Riders, Shrine riders, Eagle Riders etc.. You'll make great friends and have a LOT of fun without the madatory commitments of an M/C. Contrary to popular notion, the M/C's around here are usually very friendly with the riding groups. They do a lot of recruiting from the groups.

GA2006FXSTBI
06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
I looked around online and found the United States Submarine Vets Incorporated MC. They have chapters just about everywhere us Sub Vets would be. In order to join the MC I have to be a member of Sub Vets. I've always wanted to join. I truly honor and respect those that have truly been there and done that in my world.
Can anyone tell me anything about this club?

OldBikerGuy
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Is this it, the Silent Service MC (http://www.silentservicemc.com/)? Looks pretty cool. Hell, I'd join it if I was eligible!

GA2006FXSTBI
06-11-2011, 04:21 AM
That's the one. Still waiting on some info from the local chapter, but it might be my best bet if I go for an MC.

gliderider94
06-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Generaly veterans riding groups are about the only ones around here given any lee-way on being alowwed to fly an M/C on their backs without being affiliated in some way with one of the many "old school" motorcycle clubs, And they are usually very welcome at the various club functions and around all clubhouses that I know of. Another group who flies the M/C around here without really being one are the various law enforcement or fire fighters clubs. The cops generally don't use the M/C (except for the blue angels or the wild pigs) because most of the M/C guys I know can't wait to get one or two of them out in the middle of nowhere and out numbered then hand out ass woopins. The fire fighter groups used to be welcome at clubhouses and functions but over the past decade there has been a practice by a lot of the smaller municipalities to the use personell who are crossed trained in police work and fire fighting. These so called "public safety officers" do hae arrest and investigative powers and you're never really sure who you are talking to when in their presence.

GA2006FXSTBI
06-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Well, the service has been my life for 20 years so those are the people I have the most in common with. Makes sense that I should go that route. I love the brotherhood lives I have and it looks like that path may work best. Thanks for eveyone who commented.

gliderider94
06-20-2011, 11:33 PM
The veteran's M/C groups are VERY well respected and recieved. They are excellent groups to ride with especially if you are of a military mindset or if vets are where you are most comfortable. By all means if that's your group demographic go with it. You're right. It's all about sharing an enjoyment of your beliefs and lifestyle with like minded folks who for the most part share a lot of the same values as you. In a word it's called "Brotherhood". Go with it where you find and have fun.

GA2006FXSTBI
07-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I've found a local chapter and in the coming months I intend on taking the steps to join. Thanks for all the information and help.