PDA

View Full Version : twin cam 88 motor

salsd2
01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a TC 88 motor and don't know if its an A or B. How can I tell the difference?

coolhawg6622
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Whats it in? touring and dyna models are A models...........B's, which stands for balanced is in all softails..................:mfight_gif:

Nitram_b4
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
This is a "B" motor, see the bulge in the casting below the oil filter "the round thing in front of the cylinders is the part of the casting for the oil filter, look below it in both photos http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/nitram_b4/TwinCamB.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/nitram_b4/TwinCamA.jpg

This is a "A" motor, no bulge no counter balancers

Wild1Poet2
01-08-2012, 03:43 AM
I nominate Nitram for harley guru. I never noticed that. 1,000 points to Nitram for the pics.

Before this I would say if it was in a softail frame it was the balnced model.

Nitram_b4
01-08-2012, 01:41 PM
You can fit an "A" motor in a Softail with an adapter plate, but I don't think it is possible to put a "B" motor in a touring model, because the lager crank case to allow for the counter balancers gets in the way, the over all length is much longer. That is why you need a spacer on an "A" when adapting it for a softail.
If you look at the area behind the rear jug (left side in both photos, you can see the "B" is much longer

junior
01-08-2012, 01:41 PM
although this bike i built has an "A" motor in a "B" (softail) frame...

j

Nitram_b4
01-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Nice bike J

What you got going on in the seat pan area to tuck things away?
Looks pretty clean, I hate the way Harley did it on the crossbones

junior
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
thanks, bud. next one on the list is taking an 82 fxr and turning it into a retro/beach style- tank shift and all....only thing is that the 82-84 first generation rubbermount/shovel frames are kinda fugly at best. got a fat boy front end off a 2002 fxstf, a 21 front off another bike i built, some of this, some of that...we'll see where it end up.

j

junior
01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice bike J

What you got going on in the seat pan area to tuck things away?
Looks pretty clean, I hate the way Harley did it on the crossbones

actually, nothing. i intentionally left the wiring visbile (although it is very neat) as a homage to the 40's-50's which the basic concept of the bike is based on. the last "modern" looking bike i built was back in 2003. i've been on a retro kick since then.

also buying a cruiser bicycle from wal mart and turing it into a board track racer that is going to be mounted to the wall in my living room beside the pool table.

j

Nitram_b4
01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Yup getting a FXR as a project bike is on my list.
Found a few basket cases, but the people selling were way too high on price, knowing you have the best handling big bike harley made and being reasonable on sale price on something that needs major work, does not connect with some people. They think they have a pot of gold.
Both of them wanted a price I could buy one in good running condition for

Yah on the seat area sometimes nothing is better looking than some crappy cover

salsd2
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
This is a "B" motor, see the bulge in the casting below the oil filter "the round thing in front of the cylinders is the part of the casting for the oil filter, look below it in both photos http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/nitram_b4/TwinCamB.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/nitram_b4/TwinCamA.jpg

This is a "A" motor, no bulge no counter balancers

Thanks, just what I needed!!!!!

salsd2
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
My '06 FLHX GLIDE SHOWS A TROUBLE CODE OF P0374 (CPK Sensor Synch error). Sensor and wiring all checked good.Troubleshooting guide suggest to replace ECM. Inquired about replacing ECM and was told that it must be done with a computer to be able to mate it to the other electronics. I also found out that an ecm from the secondary market can be installed and mated without a harley computer. WHAT CAN I DO? ANY SUGGESTIONS ??? HELP HELP