PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Road King FLHP purchase - advice?

munralamun
02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
OK I'm about to take the plunge. I've an opportunity to buy a 1996 Road King FLHP with a little over 20K on it. Direct police surplus.

Price range is about 9K. I think the bike has been well maintained to fleet standards.

Over the years I've ridden a Kawasaki Police 1000, and am currently on a BMW R1100 RT-P daily. Never been on a Harley if you can believe that... so can you help a newbie with a few questions?

1) Any thoughts on the model year? Good/bad engine etc.?

2) I'm guessing this is non fuel injected, right? Did H-D put out both a fuel injected and a carburated model in the same year (if so, why?)?

3) Is the price reasonable? My market search says its in the lower end of the range, but not necessarily a steal..

4) Any suggestions on prep after I get it? Things to look out for..

Thanks for ANY advice!

Wide
02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
munralamun

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums.

I deleted your other post on the same subject to avoid confusion :D

It's real hard to say with out looking at it, you seem like your well informed.

Best thing I can say is take it to a shop for an evaluation, compression check, check trans etc, or just take it for a good ride

Theyu offered EFi & carb because of EPA regs & the fact that a lot of people would freak out if they just stopped the old carbs, soon all we will have is EFI.
Matter fact, you wont even be able to start your bike with out the kick stand in the up position very soon, it's just evolution.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure others that have the same bike can be more specific.

Again welcome to the forums 1beer

munralamun
02-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks man.. and sorry about the cross post :)

The bike is 1100 miles away. I've bought other cycles from this authority, so I have a good feel for them, but seeing it first hand is impossible (bummer!). It's a bit of a gamble, but the risk is reasonable - if the price is reasonable?

I appreciate ANY advice as this will (or won't) be my first H-D!

PS - GREAT board!

Wide
02-04-2005, 07:43 AM
If you have dealt with them in the past & you get some kind of warr then it may be OK, I know service bikes are well maintained but like anything your taking a chance. If you dont mind sinking afew bucks into it & are able to work on it yourself, thats a big plus.

I would hate for you to get your first Harley & it's not up to snuff, but it is a Harley

I just like to kick the tires & thanks for the kind words :)

munralamun
02-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Well I did the deed. Rolled the dice, and closed the deal. Well below my $9K target too.

Bike should be delivered in about two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help! :D

tradrockrat
02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I just wanted to say welcome to the forums, and if there IS anything wrong with the bike (God forbid) then your questions will be answered here. It's a great site with great people.

wreckerman
02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
wish you good luck with your new bike , and i recommend you buy a service manual for it , not saying anything is wrong but it will help you a lot in working on the bike ...you are also welcomed to post your questions here we have a great group of pepole here willing to help

Horse
02-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Welcome munralamun to HCG. A 96 FHLP for under 9K sounds like a very good deal for a direct police surplus.
A note on police specials, I believe that this bike has a clutch / safety interlock switch which requires the clutch level to be held in to start.

Wide
02-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Very Cool!!!

Sounds like you did real well

Post us a pic when you get her :D

Old_Evo
02-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Very cool, we all need pix's, lots and lots of pix's

munralamun
03-08-2005, 04:24 AM
I've been real busy so sorry for the delay in posting an update and pix...here's the 96 FLHP added to the stable:

munralamun
03-08-2005, 04:27 AM
The BMW is the daily rider....mostly highway. Smooth as silk...

But the Harley has all the fun!

munralamun
03-08-2005, 04:29 AM
1340 CC Evo of luv!

Horse
03-08-2005, 05:10 AM
Very, very nice.