PDA

View Full Version : CANADA: Training Courses

Drebbin
02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
The Vancouver Province (British Columbia)

February 4, 2005 Friday
Final Edition

HEADLINE: Safety program a useful prelude to two-wheeled fun: Courses range from basic to advanced

BYLINE: Corrie Miller, The Province

More than 30,000 motorcycle enthusiasts took in the recent Motorcycle Show in Abbotsford to check out the hottest rides for the upcoming season.

Some were seasoned year-round riders, but many more were newcomers contemplating taking the plunge into what may just become the biggest addiction of their lives.

Have you had that inkling to leave four wheels behind and zoom off down tree-lined streets, with nothing but two wheels between you and the winding pavement?

Well, if this is your year to finally act on that urge, one of the best ways to make sure you'll become a safe, defensive rider is to take an established riding course.

With that, I settled in for a chat with Randy Cook, owner and chief instructor at R.C. Cyclelogics in Pitt Meadows.

I discovered that not only was he very serious about creating skilled, responsible riders, but that he was also a lot of fun to talk to and, potentially, to ride with.

Cook's passion for motorcycling began when he was but a wee lad. He's now racked up roughly 16 years and 7,000 instructional hours at four schools -- rubber side down!

Randy was formally trained by the B.C. Safety Council and, after stints with three other local operations, he left to pursue his own thing. Thus was born R.C. Cyclelogics in 1999, a full-service rider training school based at Pitt Meadows Airport.

Says Cook: "I'm not worried about turning out hundreds of students a year. I'm worried about quality and [ensuring that] people who come out of my program love the sport and will represent themselves as good motorcyclists."

Randy has 11 bikes in his training fleet, ranging in size from 185 c.c. to 800 c.c., including sport bikes, cruisers, standards, and dual-purpose "adventure" bikes.

He says: "Most are only one or two years of age, but I do have a couple of sweet, old Hondas."

If you're seriously looking into getting your Class 6 licence, the best advice Randy can give is: "Take a course, whether it's mine or someone else's. Do your research: Ask around and find one that will work for you in your area."

R.C. Cyclelogics offers a variety of comprehensive courses, from basic motorcycle maintenance to a full 46-hour regular program and advanced rider training.

For the new rider, R.C. Cyclelogics will get you, pun completely intended, up to speed in all aspects of motorcycling -- from slow-speed balance, turning and clutch/throttle control to high-speed push steering, threshold braking and collision avoidance.

All skills are learned first on the tarmac, and then students take it to the street.

Generally, motorcycle safety courses will run you about $700 for the full program, and all you need in hand is your Class 6 learner's permit and some basic gear. (It will cost you $15 to take the knowledge test to acquire your Class 6 learner's permit prior to taking rider training. More information is available at www.icbc.com.) It's worth every penny, and everything else is generally provided.

Randy also offers an 11-hour refresher course ($100), if you've already earned your Class 6.

It revisits some of the crucial topics mentioned above and will get you back out on the road with more confidence and, dare I say, a grin from ear to ear.

For more information, contact R.C. Cyclelogics at 1-877-30CYCLE (302-9253) or check out www.cyclelogics.ca.

Watch for Randy's Race Team AFTICA (Another Fast Toy I Can't Afford!) out at Mission Raceway this season and in the community, educating riders on the benefits of "taking your racing to the track."

You can contact Corrie at corriemiller@gmail.com and listen to her on weekday mornings on the Bro Jake Morning Show, Classic Rock 101.