PDA

View Full Version : 04 RK high idle on start up

cprteacher
06-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Hi All. it's ben awhile since I've had to try and pick the great gear heads' brains but this is the best place to get ideas. I've got an '04 Road King with EFI, 95' kit, S & S gear drive with HQ 034g cams and a PCIII. Lately I've been having a problem with the idle on start up running at around 2000-2200. It tends to stay there much longer than it used to, I mean at last 10-15 minutes! Usually it would go to 1500, stay there for 2-3 minutes until the engine warmed up and then drop to a normal idle of around 800-950.
I've had several Dealer mechanics comment on how high it was idling and to get it in so they could check it out. I figure someone on HCG has had or knows someone who has had this same problem and can clue me in to where to look. Let me know what you think! Thanks, Bill

wreckerman
06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
First thing I would try is take the air cleaner off, and with the bike not running , open the butterfly to the carb

and spray the intake real well with carb cleaner you will see some sensors, that are placed in the top of the intake

make sure to spray them, oil deposits build up and give false readings to the sensors ..

cprteacher
06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks wreckerman, can I still try this with fuel injection? Or are the sendors, which ever one(s) controlling the idle, located somewhere else other than the intake area? Got to get the shop manual! Thanks, Bill

fxrglide91
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Spray up into the little hole as wreckerman suggested. Blow out with air or let in dry, if not it may set a code.

wreckerman
06-30-2013, 11:17 AM
even fuel injection has a butter fly, you just have to hold it open when you spray

and 2 of your sensors are located in the intake manifold they get dirt gas and oil blow by built up on them

a little carb cleaner will fix that right up.

junior
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
the engine temp sensor is located on the front head on the left side. this tells the ecm when to enrichen the mix and tell the iac (idle air control) to move and set the idle higher. if the steps above don't solve everything, take a look at replacing the temp sensor. the iac may also be at fault, but usually it just fails to move and the problem is too low of an idle.

are you getting any codes?

let us know-

j

cprteacher
07-03-2013, 05:17 AM
I tried the carb cleaner and it did help a lot. In the past, the bike would stay at 2k for a good 3-4 minute. After treating it started at 2k, dropped to 1800 after 1 minute, dropped to 1600 after another minute and then held at 1200 until I put her in gear and took a spin around the block. Idle was then at 1K and all is fine. I did have a code before doing the carb cleaner that was P1356. No codes since cleaning. I will clean one more time and hopefully it will be even better. Thanks for the help. You guys rock!
Bill

arthureld
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
cool :1036946832_gif:

RacingOrangeRoadster
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Excellent. I didn't have a clue but I soak up fixes like a sponge.