PDA

View Full Version : looking at a new flhti

salmo38
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
First time here folks, so forgive me if I fail protocol. Been reading for a month but this my first post.

After years of not riding ( dirt and street) I am looking at an 05 flhti. And have some questions that I need answered.

First off, is this the bike I want/need? I like the standard, it leaves me options to add later if needed, but also the rk classic as well. I am 6'2" 240 lbs. so feel I need one of the larger models.

Riding style would be day and weekend trips, plus riding to work occasionally. Probably once a year for a week vacation.

I feel the the rk classic might not have the storage I want, and dont want to add it on.

Next, what is your thinking on carb or efi? I plan on leaving the ride stock, especially on the mechanical end of things. So changing pipes is probably not an issue. I don't want to tinker on it in the garage, I just want to go out, start it up and ride all day.

Next, I dont think I want extended warranty, the cost seems to be too high, about 1400 is what I was told. Maybe a year or two would be ok.

Here's the price I was offered. $16,385 (USD) for the efi model with black cherry paint. Thats four hundred extra for efi and 400 for the paint. They said thats MSRP plus frieght and prep. Doesnt have one in stock so the current wait would be mid april, its early feb now.

If I shop and buy from a dealer away from me, will the local people give me a problem in service?

I have some financing questions as well, but this has gotten long enough already.

wreckerman
02-06-2005, 02:13 PM
First time here folks, so forgive me if I fail protocol. Been reading for a month but this my first post.

Welcome to the HCG family.

After years of not riding ( dirt and street) I am looking at an 05 flhti. And have some questions that I need answered.

Very nice choice

First off, is this the bike I want/need? I like the standard, it leaves me options to add later if needed, but also the rk classic as well. I am 6'2" 240 lbs. so feel I need one of the larger models.

The RK for the most purpose is a dressed up standard, with the exception of the fairing setup.

Riding style would be day and weekend trips, plus riding to work occasionally. Probably once a year for a week vacation.

Any of the FL line would be more then enough to handle this type of riding. As well as some other models like, softtails, fatboys

I feel the the rk classic might not have the storage I want, and dont want to add it on.

As far as the storage the only real difference is the tour trunk for the type of riding you are doing can't see were that would make a difference, but a t-bag could be added for under $200.00 and you could carry that in like a suitcase, just something to think about.

Next, what is your thinking on carb or efi? I plan on leaving the ride stock, especially on the mechanical end of things. So changing pipes is probably not an issue. I don't want to tinker on it in the garage, I just want to go out, start it up and ride all day.

There is no doubt in my mind, that the EFI is a far superior fuel system, and the way of the future. Although people who do heavy mods to their motor prefer the carb the efi is more effiecent and brings higher resale.

Next, I dont think I want extended warranty, the cost seems to be too high, about 1400 is what I was told. Maybe a year or two would be ok.

Harley's now come with a 2 year warranty that is all you really need. If the bikes going to screw up it should do it by then, also Harley is so if'y on what they cover and don't cover under warranty that it makes no sense to give them more money. If you really feel you need a warranty shop around, a friend of mine pick up an identical Harley policy for 1/3 the cost through an outfit out of Florida. I believe it was direct cycles or something like that.

Here's the price I was offered. $16,385 (USD) for the efi model with black cherry paint. Thats four hundred extra for efi and 400 for the paint. They said thats MSRP plus frieght and prep. Doesnt have one in stock so the current wait would be mid april, its early feb now.

That is the standard msrp price for that bike so you won't do any better then that shopping around. However you do want to watch the charges for prep, setup, delivery some dealers tend to pad this just a little.

If I shop and buy from a dealer away from me, will the local people give me a problem in service?

Buy the bike anywhere you want, the dealers make damn good money off of service and accessories. Some dealers do have a preferred list which gets you in a little quicker for a service appointment, but if your not a royal pain in the ass you'll make it on that list after a couple of services.

I have some financing questions as well, but this has gotten long enough already.

Dealers make money off of financing so in keeping that in mind, it is always best to put down as much cash as possible and arrange your own outside financing, in some cases it even makes more sense to pull some of the money from your house to pay for it, then you can write off the interest from your house on your taxes and also get a much lower rate, then what auto loans offer.

Tony
02-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey salmo....welcome to HCG!!!!

Good luck on the purchase.

daharleyrdr@hotmail.com
02-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Dear Slamo
I just bought the same bike a 05 FLHTI paid list for the bike with EFI, Security was not charged freight prep set up and got $350.00 in free parts/Accessories so I payed what the bike list for $15,2000.00 out the door I bought in New Jersey. I live in NY dealer is 70 miles from home but hey I saved over 2K its worth it to me and the dealer is the best in the Tri State Area Barbs Camden County Harley Davidson the owner Barb is a super lady , a rider! Go see my salesman Jay, tell em the New York Guy Bill sent ya they will take good care of ya . groucho