PDA

View Full Version : No speedo reading, engine light on, odometer fluctuating

PANRIDER
09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
When I reach about 12 mph my speedo goes to zero, the engine light comes on, the odometer numbers go crazy but everything such as the lights and turn signals still worked. Yesterday it started backfiring so I pulled in gas station filled up turned my switch on and my brite lite indicator was on. I had no head lite and was unable to dim the light and no speedo reading or odometer reading or turn signals. Engine seemed to run ok but I babied it back home and did not rev it up any. Haven't check anything yet but wondered if anyone has had this problem. The bike is a 2000 FXST w/carb. Thanks for any help.

Nitram_b4
09-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Check your regulator voltage to the battery, should be around 14.5 volts, I bet it is much higher, as in a bad regulator.
That is why your speedo goes nuts as the rpms increase, next you will start blowing bulbs and it is not very good for the battery.
If the voltage problem is there, shut the bike down and unplug the regulator from the stator ( plug is right next to the regulator)
see if it is full of oil ( a known problem on 2000s ) I know, I own a 2000 FXSTS and I had this problem.
The stator will weep oil through the wires and fill the plug with oil, this will short out the regulator after it fills enough.

If you have the regulator unplugged and the battery is good, you should be able to start the bike and everything will work normally.
You will have to change the regulator, and I recommend changing the stator, or you could be like me and just make sure that oil does not build up in the plug, so I drain it out of the plug every few days. ( been doing that for 8 years with the same stator)
Don't ask me why I have not changed it yet, because I have been all through the motor....just one of those things I never get to.

Hope you didnt bugger it up by running it like that too long

PANRIDER
09-14-2013, 03:29 AM
I think you might be right about the oil weeping into to regulator because lately I have noticed like a drip of oil right under the regulator every time I ride the bike. I installed one of those levers in the clutch housing about a year ago that makes the clutch easier to pull and I thought maybe the oil was coming from my clutch cable but it might have been coming from the regulator all this time. I did ride it a few times when all these problems started and the last day I think it hosed my PIAA bulb in the headlight. I'll be working on it this weekend so I'll let you know what I find, hope your right it will save me a lot of troubleshooting time. Thanks again.

PANRIDER
12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey man sorry I hadn't got back to you sooner but it is hunting season here in the South and you know how us rednecks are but you were absolutely right, the voltage regulator shorted out, blew out my headlight and my turn signal module. I went thru a pack of 15 amp fuses before I finally found out the problem. Every time I turned the ignition on my Accessory fuse blew and nothing would come on so I just started unplugging things one by one and of course the last thing was the module. When I unplugged the voltage regulator oil poured out of the connector, man I couldn't believe all the oil that was in that connector. I unplugged the turn signal module and replaced the fuse and everything came back so it looks like a new voltage regulator, turn signal module, and bulb in the headlight should get me back running again. I haven't looked at the cable yet from the primary to the regulator is there a seal that stops the oil from weeping that needs replacing? Really appreciate the help.

arthureld
12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Nitram_b4 knows his shit

JD
12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
I just re-read this and am curious as to how oil from the stator fills the plug up next to the regulator? Maybe a photo?

PANRIDER
12-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Man I'm not sure yet myself I haven't got that far but when I unplugged the connector it was full of a crazy amount of oil. I'm hoping there is some kind of seal in there somewhere, Nitram probably knows since he had the same problem maybe he will chime in here and let us know. Soon as I get back to working on it I'll snap a pic of what's happening, this might just be a perfect excuse to put that belt drive on it now ;).

JD
12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I have seen this connector oily before and just assumed it was from the oil running out of the filter mount when the filter is removed during routine oil changes. I would have never suspected it was primary oil being pushed up into it through the wires. Maybe I am misunderstanding this somehow?

arthureld
12-20-2013, 09:48 PM
I copied this from another site -

There was a problem with 99 and later touring bikes and primary oil wicking up into the stator wire, then into the plug between stator and regulator. HD published a serive bulletin, M1107, in Feb 01. The service bulletin had you relocate the stator/regulator plug up on the cross member between the 2 front frame downtubes. No more oil dripping.

Here's the link - http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/twin-cam-88-engine-technical-discussion/54484-twincam-leaking-oil-stator-wire.html#post542877

JD
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM
http://hdpdf.site88.net/servicebulletins/M1107_stator_relocation.pdf

Looks like this was corrected for 2001+, hence my unfamiliarity. Interesting.