PDA

View Full Version : Shift Shaft Leaking

kirk
07-15-2015, 07:54 PM
I have an 05 Dyna Superglide. The shift shaft that passes through the primary housing is leaking. I believe it is leaking on the backside of the inner primary and running down the back to the lowest point which is the drain plug. At first I thought the drain plug was leaking.
Has anyone had this same issue and how difficult is this seal replacement? I've heard that a lot of 05's have this problem.
This is the shaft that the shift lever is attached to.

Wide
07-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes common problem

There is a couple of O rings that go bad. Also there is a plastic tube that may be worn also

Secondly the primary likes to run on less then full as when you fill it they tend to leak also

Hope this helps

kirk
07-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks Wide,

It did start to leak following a fluid change. It had been leaking at the drain plug and I got that sealed up and noticed oil on the back of the primary.
Will open it up and see where the leak originates.
Thanks for the reply

JD
07-16-2015, 10:50 PM
I posted on this recently. Overfilling, and some types of oil, cause leaks on my bike.

Wide
07-16-2015, 11:01 PM
I posted on this recently. Overfilling, and some types of oil, cause leaks on my bike.

Yes that also

:Super14:

kirk
07-17-2015, 03:17 PM

JD,

What are you running in your primary now?

JD
07-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I've tried a bunch and run either synthetic 20w-50 "wet clutch compatible" motor oil or Red Line Primary.

On mine it will usually weep through the inner primary seal if I overfill it even a little bit.

kirk
07-17-2015, 07:37 PM
I've tried a bunch and run either synthetic 20w-50 "wet clutch compatible" motor oil or Red Line Primary.

On mine it will usually weep through the inner primary seal if I overfill it even a little bit.

Thanks for the info.
I'm running gear oil in the primary now and not sure of the brand off the top of my head.
Was told to not run synthetics in the primary as it would cause the clutch slip but I believe now that that is a myth.
Will look for clutch compatible 20w-50 synthetic and see what happens!

JD
07-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Yes the oil you want will state explicitly on the back of the bottle label "wet clutch compatible". Using some types of regular "car" synthetic motor oil will not be best for the clutch as it will be too slippery. It is not a synthetic oil thing; both synthetic and conventional motor oils have this same "wet clutch compatible" verbiage on the label. I think I am using Valvoline 4-stroke synthetic but have also used the "V-Twin" and both have worked well.

Red Line (80w-90 gear oil) is actually a bit lighter than 20w-50 motor oil (different viscosity scales) and is more slick feeling than the 20w-50 "Wet clutch compatible" motor oil. It more like a 5w-30 or 10w-30 motor oil viscosity. It also is more prone to weep through the seal, in my experience.

kirk
07-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Yes the oil you want will state explicitly on the back of the bottle label "wet clutch compatible". Using some types of regular "car" synthetic motor oil will not be best for the clutch as it will be too slippery. It is not a synthetic oil thing; both synthetic and conventional motor oils have this same "wet clutch compatible" verbiage on the label. I think I am using Valvoline 4-stroke synthetic but have also used the "V-Twin" and both have worked well.

Red Line (80w-90 gear oil) is actually a bit lighter than 20w-50 motor oil (different viscosity scales) and is more slick feeling than the 20w-50 "Wet clutch compatible" motor oil. It more like a 5w-30 or 10w-30 motor oil viscosity. It also is more prone to weep through the seal, in my experience.

So I changed the primary fluid last Sunday with Mobile 1 20w-50, says wet clutch compatible. No leaks since.
I ride every day so it was put to the test.

Thanks for the advice. You were dead on!

Was dreading having to pull the primary apart.

Amazing that viscosity and types of oils can react this way.

Thanks again!

JD
07-24-2015, 10:44 PM
LOL glad it worked out

Wide
07-24-2015, 11:29 PM
I love a happy ending:occasion14: