PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust

WolfSpectre
08-11-2004, 03:02 AM
OK, it is time to say good-bye to the stock exhaust on my '04 FXDI. I REALLY like the V&H Big Shots Staggered w/ the power chamber. The biggest problem is that those places that have it in stock are charging PREMIUM prices for it and those that are more reasonable do not have these pipes in stock.

It would not be so bad except that being injected I will also need to go with a Power Commander along with a high(er) flow air filter. Including these items, I am looking at $1K or better. Are the V&H BSS's worth all this money? If not, what would be a better option?

Thx for any and all advice in advance.

TexasFatBoy
08-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Well, opinions on exhaust are as varied as the members on here, but I run V&H on my fatboy and love 'em. Always get compliments on the sound and the performance is great.

Others will point ya to White Bros. or some others - all good pipes, but in the end ya gotta go with what ya like! Good luck, Wolfspectre!

WolfSpectre
08-11-2004, 03:54 AM
B) yeah, that's pretty much what I have been brought to understand. I was just wondering if the Power Chamber in the V&H BSS's were worth pursuing.

whodatt
08-11-2004, 04:11 AM
I also thought about the V&H, but ended up going with the Rineharts. Either way you end up going, check out Direct Parts for what you want. I have the Power Commander also, and I am very happy with that set up, for now anyway... ;)

http://www.directparts.com/

They were great to deal with and had the best price by far from anyone else I checked with, and I checked around a lot.

Hope that helps.

WolfSpectre
08-11-2004, 04:15 AM
I also thought about the V&H, but ended up going with the Rineharts. Either way you end up going, check out Direct Parts for what you want. I have the Power Commander also, and I am very happy with that set up, for now anyway... ;)

http://www.directparts.com/

They were great to deal with and had the best price by far from anyone else I checked with, and I checked around a lot.

Hope that helps.

Thx brother. BTW, what prompted you to go with the Rineharts?

speedman
08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
I have the V&H Big Shots Staggered on my Fat Boy and overall I'm pretty happy with them. The peformance is good, the sound is great and the heat shields are very nice. That being said the Bubs are kick ass pipes too and probably have a better reputation for actual HP gains. The Bubs are also very nice looking pipes. Either way you will be much happier with either of these pipes compared to the stock units.

junior
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
the "power chamber" is really nothing more than a pulse cancelling feature similar in design to a crossover system. imho- this DOES have an effect on better low and mid-range performance.

v&h has always produced better-quality products as far as their fit and finish. while there are less expensive systems out there, i choose v&h for my own uses.

to be honest, the "pc" system came out after i bought my last set of pipes, but for what it is worth, if i were to have to buy a set now i'd spring for 'em myself (again- fwiw...lol)

j

wreckerman
08-11-2004, 10:01 PM
all the above pipes are good chioces but the reason i push on the white bros are my personal chioce
not as loud as those raw systems
tuneable to any mods you do on the bike
great performance
look different then every one else
and have a greate sound when you get on them

whodatt
08-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Thx brother. BTW, what prompted you to go with the Rineharts?[/quote]

After talking to the people at Eastern Performance in Gambrills Maryland, they told me that they had done a lot of dyno testing on the Rineharts and could not find anything else to equal their numbers (all things being equal on the bikes tested, and most of them being stock or slightly modified - no fire breathers were included in their testing).

Then I checked out the Bub website http://www.bubent.com/ and liked what I read. The clincher was when I priced them next to the V&H pipes, and found out that the Rineharts could be obtained for quite a bit less. That and the fact that they are in such demand that they are hard to come by quickly. I was able to get them in just about a week, and I figure I got lucky and called Direct Parts at the just the right time.

I have to say that I am very happy with the Rineharts, but if you were to pick the V&H over them I don't think you would be disappointed. And either way you go, Direct Parts sells them both.

Hope that helps.

whodatt
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I can't seem to get the "Quote" thing working right.

I'm sure I will see my problem and the light will go on in my head soon.

sorry... :blink2:

TexasFatBoy
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
You are missing the opening quote command: [quote] then insert your text. You have the right closer with the /quote in brackets.

The other way to do it is simply hit the "quote" button in the upper right of someone else's message and the software will put the tags in automatically!

whodatt
08-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Thanks, TFB. I knew it was somthing simple, just couldn't put my finger (mouse?) on it. :)

TexasFatBoy
08-13-2004, 05:46 AM
my pleasure! 1beer

junior
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
keep in mind that the bubs pipes and the bubs/reinhart pipes are different animals. at this point the reinhart versions are vailable only for baggers and sporties- your dyna can only be fitted with the regular bubs version. this isn't necessarily bad, as the bubs pipes are still good- but they don't boast the same gains as the versions designed by jerry reihart....

j

WolfSpectre
08-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanx alot everyone! I just placed my order for a set of Bub Stubbies. These look to be about what I am looking for right now.

It definitely helps alot to have a great support group like we have here.

whodatt
08-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Hope you like your new pipes!

And thanks, Junior, for keeping me straight. :)

junior
08-14-2004, 04:27 AM
no prob, bud- glad we could help....

j

speedman
08-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Right on wolf. Very nice pipes. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

NJ13
08-17-2004, 11:41 PM
did u get'm yet?????

i put a set of santee upsweept drags on my 04 fxdi and could'nt be happier Look and sound-wise,and did'nt notice a bit of slack in performance.
point being the stage 1 isn't neccasary but thats just me

WolfSpectre
08-18-2004, 11:59 PM
did u get'm yet?????

i put a set of santee upsweept drags on my 04 fxdi and could'nt be happier Look and sound-wise,and did'nt notice a bit of slack in performance.
point being the stage 1 isn't neccasary but thats just me

No, not yet. They are on order, just waiting...(impatiently I might add!)

caged

WolfSpectre
08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Finally got word this morning in my email. I wrote about it in my Journal. You can view it here (http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=Journal&file=display&jid=13).

speedman
08-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Man I hate that sort of thing Wolf. I can sympathize with you. The only thing worse are those two dreaded words "back order".

HeadDoc
08-19-2004, 07:50 PM
hey that's great wolf...If the Tish in your e-mail is the Tish from Direct Parts I'll say that they seek to keep the customer happy and don't bullshit. I bought some of the V & H bigshots staggereds for my FXDWGi from Directparts. The custom exhaust added another level of enjopyment to me for my bike and I'll bet for you too. (see my post about you know your'e lvin right)

best

HD

Swyney
08-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Junior have you seen or heard anything about the new V&H Big Radius for softtails, was thinking about them for my wifes 93 Fatboy

WolfSpectre
09-01-2004, 04:33 PM
OK, FINALLY got my new pipes. Installed them last Thursday and they are AWESOME!!! The neighbors REALLY hate me now! freakin Especially since I leave for work @ 4:00 a.m. :lol:

I had a small problem with them at first because the brake rod on my forward controls was rubbing the front pipe @ the bottom bend. So, I had to take the bike to a custom shop and had them re-bend the rod. I picked the bike up last night and they really did a good job. I then spent the evening installing 4" pullback risers which has made my ride much more comfortable. I had to re-route some of my cables, though, because they were being stretched.

At any rate, I will post some pics this weekend and also, if I can get a good recording, a sound file of my exhaust. So far, I am really pleased with the upgrade. :D

Swyney
09-01-2004, 04:36 PM
WolfSpectre what kind of pipes are they ?

WolfSpectre
09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
WolfSpectre what kind of pipes are they ?

I got a set of Stubbies by Bub Enterprises (http://www.bubent.com/) from Direct Parts (http://www.directparts.com/). See picture below...

magoo
09-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey Wolf... Have you set off any car alarms yet? I hate when that happens. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rottin
09-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but, going to give you my two cents (after your order of course). I have no experience with the V&S systems but have used cycle shack on three different shovels and one evo. I got more compliments on sound with the shovels than I can count. They ran great and over the years of reading, cycle shack has always been within a horse or two of the top performer in the shout outs. The other great thing is you can pick up a set for about $150.00. I am now running a 100" S&S with 2" pipes. Sound is not nearly as good as a pumped shovel with 1 3/4" pipes but seems to run good.

frobozz
09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
wolfspectre,

Did you decide to forego the remainder of your warrantee?

Like yourself, I have an 04 FXDI. I had decided to wait until the warrantee expired before making any changes. Unless you let the dealer make your changes, you void your warrantee.

Curiously,
Frobozz

WolfSpectre
09-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey Wolf... Have you set off any car alarms yet? I hate when that happens. :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha, nope, not yet, magoo. I used to with my old Jeep CJ5, though. Had a 350 Chevy in it with side pipes.

:lol:

WolfSpectre
09-06-2004, 10:56 PM
wolfspectre,

Did you decide to forego the remainder of your warrantee?

Like yourself, I have an 04 FXDI. I had decided to wait until the warrantee expired before making any changes. Unless you let the dealer make your changes, you void your warrantee.

Curiously,
Frobozz

frobozz, sorry to make you wait so long, brother. I usually only read the forums alot when I am working.

To answer your question simply, yes, I would forego the remainder of the warranty if they want to be anal enough to say anything about the exhaust.

My thinking on this is this, one big reason I chose these pipes is that they do NOT require a chip burn nor a Power Commander module to adjust the air/fuel mixture, timing, etc. As a matter of fact, I have actually gotten 2 mpg better than before I had the pipes. To me, this is no more different than my putting on forward controls. I had done this before my 1K service and nothing was said. So, I decided not to sweat the new pipes.

This may have been a foolish move on my part, but the bottom line is that I wanted them, I got them, and I was NOT going to pay a shop $60+/hr to do something I am perfectly capable of doing. If my foolishness ends up biting me in the ass, well,... I have a pretty tough ass. freakin

I hope that answers your question for you and the rest of you are welcome to jam on me all you want. That is the way that I am. kam

WolfSpectre
09-09-2004, 06:47 PM
OK, FINALLY, here is a pic of my new pipes.

speedman
09-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Lookin' good wolf. drunks

WolfSpectre
09-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Thx bro. :D

Yeah...I'm proud of 'em... otherfinger (for my neighbors) hehe

Here (http://www.wolfspectre-enterprises.com/files/stubbies.wav) is the sound file I promised you. Does not sound THAT great, but you get an idea of how the pipes sound.

Swyney
09-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Sounds cool man, should make you very happy !

magoo
09-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Looks good Wolf, nice ride also. Looks like you could use them to blow the grass off the driveway to... Betcha the neighbors would shit then. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HoustonFatboy
09-12-2004, 08:45 AM
wolf, looks outstanding!

swyney, just put the vance and hines big shot shorts, not staggered though, and love the performance and especially the sound. baffles are out. lots of stares and compliments.

Robustus
09-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Wolf, you mentioned that you didn't need to burn a chip or get a commander with these pipes. It says this in the literature from the MFG? With the Stubbies does this hold true with a standard carb bike & did you add a high volume breather?

Swyney
09-18-2004, 02:03 PM
swyney, just put the vance and hines big shot shorts, not staggered though, and love the performance and especially the sound. baffles are out. lots of stares and compliments.

I had the same pipes on my 2002 Fatboy, they looked and sounded awesome !

iamkraft
10-06-2004, 05:34 AM
Junior have you seen or heard anything about the new V&H Big Radius for softtails, was thinking about them for my wifes 93 Fatboy

Swyney, just put those pipes on my ride last week. Got them off ebay for $460 out of Arizona, installed in about an hour. Added an Arlen Ness big sucker and did a stage 1 download at the dealer. Man, they are loud but I wanted something different than everyone elses straight pipes. I would definately recommend them.

Good luck,
krafty

http://harleychatgroup.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10486/normal_bike%20004.jpg[/img]

Hellswraith
10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
iamkraft - man those are the shit dude !!

Thats something I might think about adding to my ride . I've been debating getting some V&H big shot shorties but these pipes you got look even more bad ass ! Im gonna have to go and hear a pair of them somewhere .

freakin

frobozz
10-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Cool sound file, man.

Yeah... I think my neighbors would hate me as well. Thanks for the response.

They look/sound great. Enjoy.
Frobozz

Swyney
10-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Very sweet iamkraft, they are different and I love the look as well...
I have just installed a pair on my wife's fatboy, I'm having the wheels chromed, when I get them back I'll post a picture

Swyney
10-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Just got the wheels back, took a couple of pics, not the greatest but you get the idea

Swyney
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
One more

wreckerman
10-18-2004, 11:46 PM
very cool looking pipes and bike, i could get into that one

Swyney
10-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanx Wreckerman, it's Breener's bike, I rode it home last night, it's a fun bike to ride, not like my Bagger...

wreckerman
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
swyney well the baggers are nice "i got a rk" but sometimes you just need a play toy :wub:

Swyney
10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Just put These Reinharts on my bagger