PDA

View Full Version : bike won't start with new battery

tazdevil02
01-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Having an issue with starting my harley. charged battery try to crank it, it will try to turn but wont turn enough to start. can this be possible if bike sits for a few days in the cold. just bought this battery this summer.​​

Wide
01-19-2018, 04:01 PM
If the bike is too cold and the batter does not have enough amps yeah it wont start
When I lived back east I had a heater on my bike so it could crank over

Robby
01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
It will be hard to tell you what is going on with the info supplied. Indeed batteries loose cranking power in colder temps plus a battery can loose up to 1 to 1.5% of its charge per day setting. What is the CCA of the battery, Is it a ASM type, what is the starter draw, are the cable connections clean and tight. There are lots of things that will effect cranking rpm. Checking battery voltage with no load then voltage drop under load (stater energized) You should have at least 12.2 volts with no load and at least 10.5 volts under starter load. If that is ok look at connections and then starter draw.

tazdevil02
01-19-2018, 05:20 PM
It will be hard to tell you what is going on with the info supplied. Indeed batteries loose cranking power in colder temps plus a battery can loose up to 1 to 1.5% of its charge per day setting. What is the CCA of the battery, Is it a ASM type, what is the starter draw, are the cable connections clean and tight. There are lots of things that will effect cranking rpm. Checking battery voltage with no load then voltage drop under load (stater energized) You should have at least 12.2 volts with no load and at least 10.5 volts under starter load. If that is ok look at connections and then starter draw.

already put the tender it was green and still not enough to turn it over before battery when down again. it's about 20 today

JD
01-19-2018, 06:05 PM
You'll have to perform a battery load test. If that passes, then look at the cables.

My money is on the battery though.

RacingOrangeRoadster
01-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Weak battery would be my thought. If you jump start it does it turn over good?

tazdevil02
01-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Weak battery would be my thought. If you jump start it does it turn over good?
Never jumped the battery always tendered it