PDA

View Full Version : slaying the dragon (deals gap)

yamahonkawazuki
02-13-2005, 12:58 PM
i am going to be riding this on tues (day after tomorrow),
im wanting some advice, tips, etc. thanks[/img]

wreckerman
02-13-2005, 01:35 PM
i was just out there last fall , and had a great time the area is great , the only thing i would suggest is run it both way's , and get up on the blue ridge parkway while you are there .... there is also another parkway also but i cant remember the name but i think it was a indian name ..also dont wast your money at the casnio there it stinks for payout's ..have a great trip
318 curves in 11 miles deal's gap

www.tailofthedragon.com

Tony
02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
The Smokies are an awesome place to ride for sure. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Have a good ride man!

tradrockrat
02-13-2005, 06:18 PM
IT

IS

AWESOME

yamahonkawazuki
02-14-2005, 01:14 AM
thats what ive heard, takin phone, (just in case, and a map) and a camera if i can find one. am goin to get one of these http://www.tailofthedragon.com/shop/pics/plateframes/dragonslayer%20license%20plate%20frame_sm.jpg. and probably visit the "tree of shame" B)

yamahonkawazuki
02-15-2005, 06:52 AM
yeah, just got to watch out for shizz like this http://www.tailofthedragon.com/slayers/2001/0801/081201_swift8.jpg

momsridin
02-15-2005, 12:51 PM
We are planning a weekend there in June. I could use any little details or tips you note on your journey. Where will you be staying while there. I found a web link for a place called Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge and Cabins. It looks really neat but I've never been there. Hope you have a blast. Can't wait to hear all the deatils. Keep the rubber on the road friend. ;)

yamahonkawazuki
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
i read about the iron horse, may join yall up there around you ride, well all get together, etc, but today actually here in a lil while, im gonna head up there, ride it, both ways and then head back. will take pics etc, but will have to wait about a week or so, till i can get developed. but will letcha know how it went. i will take it easy, cause 1 this is my first time (yes i am a dragon virgin lol), plus with my baffle-less pipes, last thing i need is flak from the leo's caged B), plus me being only 40 miles as the crow flies,i can get up there on a moments notice, which is pretty cool :D

gliderider94
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Wrecker's right. Ride it both ways. Take it at your own pace. Don't let anyone make you feel obligated to ride it in any other manner then whta you feel comfortable with. Other then that, take some vasoline for after the ride. That run will definately make your sphincter pucker!
:(

yamahonkawazuki
02-16-2005, 02:38 AM
rode it both ways, and went into nc, so i could get one of those dragonslayer plate frames. i ought to get one that says "the dragon let me survive", when they say "keep yer eyes on the road", they aint kiddin. i damn near wrecked, before the dragon really started, was lookin at the scenery, and cought myself, and corrected, before i went cliffside :angry:
was awesome, and for sure, will do again
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/slayers/misc/dragon_fire.jpg

momsridin
02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear it was a fun trip with no "unfun" events. I'll let ya know when we have set our trip dates.

yamahonkawazuki
02-21-2005, 01:39 PM
when you go, ride on past the end into robbinsville nc, theres a place called mountain motors, if you need work done, or want to get a "dragon" souvenir ;)

Hotshotrucking
02-22-2005, 01:18 PM
:P Thats looks like a really cool ride, might be a bit cold, sometimes its 15 to 20 degrees cooler up on some of those mountains. Ride safe and take a few pic's and post on your return.

02-22-2005, 02:03 PM
i was just out there last fall , and had a great time the area is great , the only thing i would suggest is run it both way's , and get up on the blue ridge parkway while you are there .... there is also another parkway also but i cant remember the name but i think it was a indian name

Cherohala Skyway?

Factoid: In the movie "The Fugitive", Harrison Ford jumps off a dam trying to escape from Tommy Lee Jones. The dam is the Cheoah Dam -- just 2 miles past the official end of the 11 mile Tail of the Dragon run.

I plan to do the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Smoky's and a few other note worthy by-ways on the way to and during the Honda Hoot in Knoxville. THAT'S RIGHT -- HONDA HOOT!

You would be amazed how many Harleys and Harley riders attend the Honda Hoot. Harley-Davidson even has a presence there and offers daily demo rides. I would guess close to 40% of the bikes there are not Hondas -- least 20-25% Harleys.

The surrounding area offers some of the most beautiful territory in which to ride east of the Mississippi River.

http://www.hondahoot.com/

Drebbin
02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
i am going to be riding this on tues (day after tomorrow),
im wanting some advice, tips, etc. thanks[/img]

Ride your bike.

Ride the road.

Head & eyes.

Do Not Ride The Bike In Front Of You.

HAVE FUN ! DREBBIN

tuxman
03-02-2005, 01:42 AM
My father has a place near Fontana Lake, so me and the wife left the kids with the grandparents and decided to tackle the Dragon's Tail on Labor Day Weekend 04. After about a 45 minute ride from his place we saw the "Biker market" at Deals Gap. There were around 150 motorcycles there...it was a big rush for me. I was a little nervous...and my wife knew it..but she wouldn't let me back out. So we headed up the hill and the entire ride over the Gap was absolutely beautiful. YES it was curvy, but if you mainain a slow and steady pace, you can make it with no problem. But when those "crotch rockets" zoom by some riders...their throttle gets a little happy and before they know it they are heading off the hill. We actually saw a rider climbing up a bank after his Goldwing decided to take flight. Moral of the story...Ride at your own pace! I can't wait to go back this season. By the way there is a new Harley Dealership open in nearby Maryville, TN...I've herd it's real nice. University of Tennessee Volunteer football coach Phil Fulmer owns a Fatboy that came from this dealer.

hogwylde
03-04-2005, 03:35 AM
I can only dream of riding Deals Gap, but have seen videos. My question is this. I would ride at my own slowish pace, but seeing so many videos of Sportbikes speeding -- what are the chances of them speeding around blind curves to encounter somebody riding slower and crashing into the slower riders?

Sure would be a bitch to get plowed from behind because you're doing 40 and they're doing 118

I'll make it there -----one day

wreckerman
03-04-2005, 11:00 PM
that is a good question , when i rode the tail i waited for a group of 5 rockets to take off gave them about a 2 min start and then took off myself , never had a problem with anyone passing , or being rude , it seemed like most folks wanted to give you your space , and they wanted there own .. but i suppose there is always a asshole that cant wait ....

crusteel45
03-05-2005, 05:39 AM
gonna be making that run in late july...the weekafter the midohio races and the big meet called Bo Bash in ohio...i was on mine today in fact and i froze my face off....one thing id take with ya on that ride tho is some studs for yout tires...lol...i dont live there but i gotta believe that you guys get snow down there dont ya??