PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter question?

Etcetera
03-07-2005, 10:36 PM
My bike has a filter on it in one of the return lines to the oil tank. Should I leave it, move it to the main line to the pump, or remove it all together? It takes a smallish spin on type filter.

Eric

Wide
03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I would leave it where it is becasuse if you go to the main feed then if it clogs you loose pressure, if it gets restrictive in the return it keeps the pressure up.

These flatheads really dont need much attention as you think, they are like lawnmower engines :D

Etcetera
03-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured they are pretty durable. Before the rebuild this engine probably had 100k on it. It smoked like crazy, but still ran.

Good point about the pressure if it clogs.

Eric

Red-Doggy
03-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi all, my '77 shovel has no oil filter at all. do I need one? I don't do too many miles, no long trips. thanks

Old_Evo
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
My 72 Shovel has the spring loaded filter on the top of the oil tank. Easist filter I've ever had to change. And in my mind a 2 dollar filter is the cheapist insurance out there to prevent what could be a real costly piece of metal in your motor. Just my .02

Wide
03-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi all, my '77 shovel has no oil filter at all. do I need one? I don't do too many miles, no long trips. thanks

It always helps trap all the little stuff that causes wear.

I would get one if it were me.

I use the toilet roll in the oil tank on my Panhead (original style)

Hope this helps :D

junior
03-08-2005, 06:50 PM
wide's right- the only thing keeping the metal pieces in your engine from fusing together in a high speed meltdown is the oil. particulants caught in the oil film can break this barrier and cause scuffing and wear. any time you can improve the quality of the oil system is money well spent....

fwiw-

j

Horse
03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
wide's right- the only thing keeping the metal pieces in your engine from fusing together in a high speed meltdown is the oil. particulants caught in the oil film can break this barrier and cause scuffing and wear. any time you can improve the quality of the oil system is money well spent....

fwiw-

j

Agree, adding a filter will extend the life of your motor, money well invested.