PDA

View Full Version : New To Harley's

jAcKyL-FaN
03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
i have always been to Harley Rally's but never actually owned one im looking into buying one just for a single rider it would be my main transportation if i got one i would like to also know what should i do to insure that im not getting ripped off i mean you all know harely's better then i do like i said this will be my first harley im looking not to buy a new one i dont have that kind of money right now not enless i can find a good deal on one what is a very reliable one that even though it is used could still be good with working on or if you know any body or any where that is selling one any Insight would be Helpful. groucho

Horse
03-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Welcome jAcKyL-FaN to HCG. Great post to start out with your going to hear a lot of great advise. First, tell us more about your self, do, or have you ridden much? What kinds of bikes have you ridden. Check out all of the threads in "Buying a New Harley" as well as other threads to get an idea of what has been asked and what advise has been given.

jAcKyL-FaN
03-08-2005, 06:40 AM
i have rode a 1998 Sportster which was my brothers i have also rode a chopper which i cant stand those things my arms hurt at the end of the ride. a little about myself well you can call me a Rebel cause i love pretty much all rock music my favorite band as you can see is Jackyl i have been going to Harley Ralley's ever since i was 13 and im 22 now. im looking for a very comfortable ride but also can give me some speed and very reliable for long distance rides cause when i get one i plan on going to sturgis. I live in north carolina born and raised all my life i have grew up around harley's but never actually got around to buying one. i like the show american chopper but dont like the way they ride. i have alot of tattoo's and only one peircing my favorite tat would have to be the one i got when i first turned 18, its a Harley with a Skeleton sitting on it the back tire spinning up smoke the skeletons hands around the handle bars in riding position with a rebel bandana and his head caught of fire and above it says Loyal To None Sworn To Fun. if any of this helps you all in helping me find a good harley for me it would be awesome. CANT WAIT TO THE NEXT HARLEY RALLY IN CHEROKEE !!!.

freakin

Tony
03-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Welcome to HCG jAcKyL-FaN!!!! Good to have you here!!!

jAcKyL-FaN
03-08-2005, 07:42 AM
well i can tell im gonna like this forum i have been to a few others and they all told me to pretty much get lost but you all seem pretty nice here. just one question do you all accept whiskey or beer for payments on your motorcycles ? bottomsup

Growlpipe
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Will you be riding 2 up alot? Did you like the Sportster you rode before? Were you comfortable on it? Would you be happier on a larger bike? These are all important questions in deciding what model HD you'll be happy with.

Do you have a m/c license?
Do you want a new bike or a used bike?

If you decide on a new bike, make sure you go to a dealer that sells at MSRP, many don't. Rent a couple different models to try out.
If you decide on a used one, education will be your best weapon against getting ripped off. Research all you can on the bike that you decide you want. Visit HD shops and talk to other owners of the model you want. Bring someone with you that has an understanding of HD's if you find a used one you might be interested in.

When you get it narrowed down to what you want.....................there is a wealth of info right here at HCG. Ask away!

WolfSpectre
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
well i can tell im gonna like this forum i have been to a few others and they all told me to pretty much get lost but you all seem pretty nice here. just one question do you all accept whiskey or beer for payments on your motorcycles ? bottomsup

Sure! Include all the whiskey and/or beer you like along with your cash payment. :D

jAcKyL-FaN
03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
im looking for a little bit bigger bike then the sportster im 6'4 weigh 296 pounds i like the way the sporster rode. im looking for a used one between the price of 5000.00 - 7000.00 or if i could find a good deal on a new would that would be good.

03-08-2005, 08:00 PM
im looking for a little bit bigger bike then the sportster im 6'4 weigh 296 pounds i like the way the sporster rode. im looking for a used one between the price of 5000.00 - 7000.00 or if i could find a good deal on a new would that would be good.
You might do better buying a new bike and financing it with Harley-Davidson.

If your credit is okay, you'll qualify for a lower rate and a longer term.

At 6'4" and 300 lbs I would be thinking FXD/I, FXST/I or FLHT/I.

Harley-Ray
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
6-4 and nearly 3 spins, dude you need a ultra or a road king, imho. Welcome to the forums,
Ray

Tony
03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I didnt see you were almost 300, so hell, drop your ass on a Fatboy, Heritage Softail of a Road King! Im 6' 260lbs and fit well on my Road King Custom. I did have to change seats, as I like to sit way back, plus I changed my floorboards out to forward mounted pegs. I stretch out nice now!!!

jAcKyL-FaN
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
i dont like to be stretched out that much although i know on a good long ride it might be good but i like riding on something a little cramped but also comfortable

NY90
03-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the HCG jAcKyL, Good luck making your choice. Too bad it's not easier to test ride bikes.

89Classic
03-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Howdy jAcKyL-FaN, and welcome...

You didn't say what size the sportster was, was it an 883 or a 1200 that you road. There's one thing you have to remember is that a Harley does not lose it's value much over the years, no mather how old it is. If you can find one at 7k you will be verry lucky and if it's in good shape. I've seen basket cases cost more than 7k. Like they said up there, if you do find a used one, take some one with you that knows about harleys to check it out befor you buy.

wreckerman
03-08-2005, 11:54 PM
would you be interrested in a 96 softail for 9000.00 or is that to much money for you at this time???