PDA

View Full Version : How to eat while on a hog

Drebbin
03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Charleston Daily Mail (West Virginia)

March 9, 2005, Wednesday

HEADLINE: How to eat while on a hog Biker teaches cooking class for other motorcycle enthusiasts

BYLINE: KRISTEN BROWNING-BLAS THE DENVER POST
:
LOVELAND, COLO. - Motorcyclist, ex-Marine and sausage expert Terry Miller knows his dogs and his hawgs. He's well-versed enough in both to teach a cooking class to bikers.

Miller was recently conducting - or rather, performing - a seminar called "Gas Station Cuisine: How to Eat Gourmet While on the Road" at a gathering in a Harley-Davidson showroom.

In front of a crowd tougher than metal studs on a black leather jacket, Miller charms the skeptics. Armed only with a microwave and a can of Cheez Whiz, Miller shows the bikers and their "old ladies" how to make a meal in a Mini Mart microwave.

"Drive-throughs suck on a motorcycle," Miller tells the bikers, many of whom nod in agreement. "You get all gritty. Everybody eats about 5 pounds of dirt a year."

As he rips open a bag of Easy Mac, Miller taps into that rebel streak present in anyone who rides a motorcycle. "People look at you funny anyway. Why not make 'em wonder? This is a way to take a break and have fun."

He believes it's his mission to remind people to take time to savor their food and enjoy each others' company, whether they're grilling his jalapeno-cheddar elk brats or microwaving tomato soup and ramen noodles.

Miller runs a concession at the Zoom Mart in a Shell station and a hot-dog stand outside a Home Depot, both in Fort Collins, Colo.

"You don't have to watch the Food Channel 24/7 to be able to do this. I want people to enjoy food and have fun making it," he says.

Despite his good-old-boy demeanor, or maybe because of it, Miller made an impression with Food Network stars and fans at last year's Food & Wine Magazine Aspen Classic when he and New York restaurateur Danny Meyer co-hosted "Wine With Bacon."

Miller, who also runs a hunting-guide service, sells Hot Dog Man elk, bison and pheasant sausage, and hopes to parlay his brush with food celebrity into a bigger custom-sausage business.

After this Harley gig, Miller will head to Miami to perform another hot-dog routine with Meyer, "Wienies for Winies," at the South Beach Food and Wine Festival.

Meanwhile, he's keepin' it real on the road.

"We got bugs in our teeth, grit on our hands," Miller says, but getting food poisoning and having to gut it out on the back of a bike is no fun.

"Food safety is really important on the road. From 70 to 140 degrees is the ideal temperature for maximum bacteria growth, so keep food either warmer or colder.

"Precooked, frozen, sliced sausage stays good for 48 hours," he tells the audience, turning to pick up a white can with a bright orange lid. "My favorite thing in the world: canned cheese."

It's hard to tell whether he's kidding or serious. "This stuff'll survive a nuclear blast. And jalapenos. Jalapenos never go bad."

According to Miller, squirt-cheese makes a great glue for jalapenos and sliced Spam on crackers, and a piquant sauce for chili-mac.

The suggestion horrifies one biker-chick. "In all our adventures, we never tried that," she says, wrinkling her nose at the Spam-cheese-pickled pepper "appetizers."

"I know what goes in Spam. I ain't eatin' Spam," says another.

OldSalt
03-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, everyone has to make a livin and I guess this is his shot at making money.

Tony
03-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I dont know...most of us ate many a meal in grungy bars and ate in some hellacious greasy spoons over the years, so I figured most of us knew how to take over a mini mart microwave and cook up a bunch of funky ass stuff to make a meal.

I guess most people dont realize that the microwave is there to cook food, so do what you want. The guy behind the counter doesnt care, as you are buying all the shit to cook from him anyway :D But I herald the decision to stay away from relying on the fat food joints.

Maybe Im just cold to the subject as I can always make myself something good to eat no matter what. But then again...is bar food and mini mart food considered "Good"? :D

LostLake
03-12-2005, 02:46 AM
I like hitting the bar and seeing what kind of food the locals have, or how big the burgers are. I either want really extravagent or really simple. Yesterday I had chicken breasts marinated in lemon cilantro sauce served with cucumber salsa with craisins, sunflower seeds and jalepenos and a side of fried flat bread.

Today it was peanut butter on bread.

I like simple.... And gourmet. Not middle of the road though. B)

Kagan
07-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Jerky is a must. I keep a bunch close at hand. Being a smoker, the next best thing is a good, tough piece of beef to gnaw on for a while.

Canned cheese? Um... juker

I'd rather just ride with my mouth open.

sporty883r
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
When we go out on the longer rides around NH and Vt I pack a soft sided cooler with frozen gator aid frozen juice boxes, soda , other cold bevs. and simple things such a cheese ( not cheese wiz but cabot) peperoni, and other cold cuts and crackers. I even been know to throw cooked chicken in that cooler. Then find a nice place to pull off and eat really makes the afternoon. Esp near a covered bridge or a lake.

damn that sounds to domestic :blink2:

ScubaStan
07-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I like hitting the bar and seeing what kind of food the locals have, or how big the burgers are. I either want really extravagent or really simple. Yesterday I had chicken breasts marinated in lemon cilantro sauce served with cucumber salsa with craisins, sunflower seeds and jalepenos and a side of fried flat bread.

Today it was peanut butter on bread.

I like simple.... And gourmet. Not middle of the road though. B)

That chicken breast sounds yummy!

King
10-25-2005, 01:10 AM
sometimes I just gotta throw sumphin in my gut to make a turd.

Wide
10-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Anything that has

Motorcyclist, ex-Marine and sausage expert

In it :lol: :lol: :lol: