PDA

View Full Version : Trash Can Cooking

Shorty
03-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Get a new 13 gallon trash can. Before using put wood and paper in the can, light it and let it burn for about an hour. Let cool, dump ashes, wipe out the inside.

This type of cooking works with any large meat product but for this example we'll use turkey....
Find a spot of dirt and lay down some foil. Stick a stake in the ground in the middle of the foil, it can be wood or metal, whatever you have. Impale your meat. If its a bird, turkey or chicken, fold back the wings. Cover with trash can. Put 10-15 lbs of charcoal around the bottom of the can, and on the top. Light it up and walk away. Without ever checking or basting, that 20 lb bird will be done in 90 minutes. Brown n crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside. The coals will reduce to ashes and your clean-up is a matter of throwing away the foil and putting away the stake and trash can till next time.

We have done this with numerous turkeys, chickens (which we roast 2 or 3 at a time) and also with ham complete with cloves and pineapple rings. I have yet to try a nice roast but Im thinking if I marinade it and cook it right it should come out like the fattest steak youve ever seen.

Enjoy

Wide
03-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Like a huge dutch oven?

What a great idea, now I'm hungry :D

LostLake
03-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Is the charcoal around the outside of the can?

Shorty
03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
yes Lake...once you invert the can over the food the charcoal goes in a ring around the bottom of the can (on the ground)...then a small layer on top (which of course is the bottom turned up). I cant find the pics I had of ours but found a few on the net.

Shorty
03-21-2005, 04:13 PM
one more

Shorty
03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Dammit, the pics posted in reverse. Im going to have to start remembering to add my attachments backwards! hehe
Well, if ya cant figure out what order they go in you shouldnt be playing with fire anyways :P

OldSalt
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Awesome idea! Never heard of it, but the things you can learn around here! :lol:

HeadDoc
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
cool Shorty we have done this with a large washtub too. Set it and forget it! Drink beer in the interim B) That turkey looks good. we also inject differnt marinades in the birds to kick it up a notch. I lover the looks on peoples faceswhen you lift the can off and there is a perfect bird

arthureld
03-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Dammit, the pics posted in reverse. Im going to have to start remembering to add my attachments backwards! hehe
Well, if ya cant figure out what order they go in you shouldnt be playing with fire anyways :P

That bird looks good. I'm hungry.

It's good to know you started with a nice new trashcan :)

wreckerman
03-21-2005, 11:39 PM
great posting , never hurd of this before , but it sure look's good to me and cant get any easyer will try it out this spring . thank you for sharing

03-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Fan-freakin-tastic!

I've got to try it. How big a bird do you think is okay to cook?

This is even cooler than the NYC Cab Driver who cooks on top of his engine while he drives his fares -- imagine turning a frustrating cross-town NYC cab ride into a gourmet culinary experience. And the smells!

Shorty
03-22-2005, 12:12 AM
FLH, as long as the bird can fit in the can without touching the sides you should be good to go. Our largest bird was 20 lbs and it was done in 90 minutes.
BAKING TIMES:
5 lbs. - 30 minutes
10 lbs. -50 minutes
15 lbs.-80 minutes
20 - 25 lbs. 105 minutes (one hour and 45 minutes)

sporty883r
09-06-2005, 06:01 AM
OMG Thanks for the cooking Idea shorty!!!! Next month for columbus day week end I am throwing a white trash party ( my neighbors are all invited so the cops will not be called). When I saw this trash can cooking it will really kick it up a few notches. Also the can will be reused thru out foot ball season. Now I am off to search for weather faded pink flamingos and christmas decorations :D

Horse
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks shorty. I will give this a try.

V-Rod
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Intresting Shorty.... Thanks for sharing. :lol:

Shorty
11-20-2006, 05:02 PM
I needed this link for another thread but then I got to reading the responses. Sooo.....which one of you has tried it yet??

squirrel71477
11-21-2006, 02:12 AM
Thats an awesome idea Shorty! I have never seen that before. We have used 50 gallon drums for smokers and grills but not a trash can for an oven! Me likes!!! :D

Shorty
11-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Hey squirrel, make sure you take pictures! Would love to know if you like it or not. :D

hf155
11-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks shorty, thats cool.

If you use a dumpster can you can cook for a whole bunch of people?.

Shorty
11-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Thanks shorty, thats cool.

If you use a dumpster can you can cook for a whole bunch of people?.Enough to feed your family. :D
Whatever you do hf, if you try this, dont use a plastic can! :blink2:

k-fly
12-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Get a new 13 gallon trash can. Before using put wood and paper in the can, light it and let it burn for about an hour. Let cool, dump ashes, wipe out the inside.

This type of cooking works with any large meat product but for this example we'll use turkey....
Find a spot of dirt and lay down some foil. Stick a stake in the ground in the middle of the foil, it can be wood or metal, whatever you have. Impale your meat. If its a bird, turkey or chicken, fold back the wings. Cover with trash can. Put 10-15 lbs of charcoal around the bottom of the can, and on the top. Light it up and walk away. Without ever checking or basting, that 20 lb bird will be done in 90 minutes. Brown n crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside. The coals will reduce to ashes and your clean-up is a matter of throwing away the foil and putting away the stake and trash can till next time.

Shoty..done everything you said....but the Turkey turns out
"rubbery(SP)

What the f is going on..... what can I do???

Any suggestions would be greatfull

ANYBODY!

We have done this with numerous turkeys, chickens (which we roast 2 or 3 at a time) and also with ham complete with cloves and pineapple rings. I have yet to try a nice roast but Im thinking if I marinade it and cook it right it should come out like the fattest steak youve ever seen.

Enjoy