PDA

View Full Version : 88 FXRT Clutch Problem

Dartman180
08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
88 FXRT, 1340 Evo. I lost use of my clutch lever, it went from operating properly to grabbing quicker to no clutch at all in about 4 minutes. The clutch was readjusted and this repeated itself 2 more times. right after adjustment the lever feels fine but as soon as I start riding it the clutch lever gets more and more slack till finally there is no clutch again.I can not adjust the clutch anymore as the locking nut on the adjuster screw is hanging on by the final threads. I had someone look at it after the first time this happened and I was told the clutches look good. Any ideas?

rwpatton
08-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Dartman180 welcome to HCG.

Three things come to mind here. First is the clutch cable, we need to check it and be sure its not coming apart somewhere.Second would be the throwout bearing and rod set and third would be the clutch release ball and ramp set up.

All three can be inspected by removing the righthand end cover off your transmission.

Keep us posted, hope his helps.

RW

Wide
08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi Dartman

Welcome to the forums & sorry about your clutch

Not many parts that it could be bad it's only a clutch.

Is the cable in good shape, look closely at the ends & for fraying.

If that looks good you will need to pulll of the primary & do a visual inspection on it.

The adjustment nut inside may be messin with you by coming loose, thats the most likely problem.

:D

Dartman180
08-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Thank you,

The cable appears good and the adjustment nut does nor appear to move as it is still tight when I remove the cover. I am going to go towards the throw out and release ball.

Thank you and I will keep you posted.

junior
08-26-2004, 09:47 PM
i'm with rw-

if the adjuster screw is now nearly fully seated into the adjuster plate, this would infer that something is wrong with the ramp/balls or the pushrod. the only other thing (maybe a longshot) it could be is that maybe the clutch hub nut is loose and the basket is pulling outwards. this would cause as you described as welll....

j

Wide
08-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Good Call Junior, never thought of that.

Hope it's not :o

Man my brain has been focused on the web site, almost forgot what bikes are :lol:

I would be dangerous if I could walk & chew gum :wacko:

junior
08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I would be dangerous if I could walk & chew gum :wacko:

......a skill i have yet to master.....lol

j

rwpatton
08-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Y'a mean you can really walk and chew at the same time? Wow! Got'a try that. B)

RW

Wide
08-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Y'a mean you can really walk and chew at the same time? Wow! Got'a try that. B)

RW

Dont do it man, it's a trick :o

Dartman180
08-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Thank you,

It was the clutch pushrod. Great site and I appreciate the help.

junior
08-31-2004, 01:30 AM
great!- glad we could help....

ride safe...

j

rwpatton
08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Glad you got her fixed.

RW