PDA

View Full Version : Starter won't engage...

Nico
03-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Well, thats a very basic way of putting it...

Hey all, I've been on here before on the old forums, just now finally got around to re-registering. Today was beautiful, so I decided it was time to roll the lowrider out and change fluids and take a ride.

Before I begin, I have an 81 Lowrider w/ 80" Shovel converted to a belt primary (like that when I got it)
I seem to have a problem that started actually last summer and slowly got worse to what it is now. When I hit the electric starter (hitachi style I believe) the starter gear (on the end of the shaft) will not engage the ring gear to crank the motor over. when it first started, I could just rock the bike in gear once and it would then engage and be fine for a couple days. It has now progressed to where it won't engage at all. I did finally get it started, but it took forever cause every time I went to crank I had to fiddle with getting the starter to engage. It got pretty annoying. One other time I had this happen, my starter had actually worked itself loose a little and tightening up fixed that problem. Tightening it back up fixed the problem for the rest of that riding season. However everything seems to be nice and snug this time. I poked around at it for the better part of my evening after I took it for a quick ride while I had it started and couldn't figure anything out on it. I think I took my outer primary cover off and on about 30-40 times tonight. :blink2: :wacko:

I got a few things to try tomorrow after some online research tonight, but I've always gotten good input from here and decided to go ahead and see what ya'll thought about it, I'm guessing it is probably something simple that I am overlooking..

rwpatton
03-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Hey NICO

Sounds like your starter bendix is worn, if your starter is cranking but not engaging most likely would be the culprit. I would probably try that first.

RW

Nico
03-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Hey NICO

Sounds like your starter bendix is worn, if your starter is cranking but not engaging most likely would be the culprit. I would probably try that first.

RW

Thats kinda what I was thinkin, it doesn't look in all that great of shape. Thats where I was gonna pick up tomorrow. I also forgot to mention the starter motor is new one year ago.

Nico
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
weeeelll I finally got around to working on this rolling basket case again today. No time yesterday, had band practice and battling what I think may be a torn muscle or atleast severely pulled muscle in my back (not riding related). Anyway. Here comes what could be one of those "DUH" questions I warned you all about :)

I pulled the guts of my clutch out as well as the clutch basket. Couldn't really find a whole lot wrong. Then I got to looking at my clutch hub that I replaced a while back, prolly 2 years ago. I was wondering if the bearing retainer on that thing was supposed to come off, then slip my clutch basket over it, then slide the bearing retainer back on and snap it in with the snaprings. I looked through ole Mr. Clymers and from what I could tell I was supposed to leave the bearing retainer as is, so I did. At this point I just decided to put the whole thing back together and see what happened. Low and behold the starter started engaging the starter ring again!

Anyway, was I right leaving the bearing retainer on the hub as it was and just sliding my clutch basket over the hub? or do I need to pull it back apart and put the bearing retainer on after slipping the basket back in?

Juicin the batt up now so I can go out and see if I can get it to start missing again. I figure if it doesn't miss the ring gear anymore I should be ok...

Nico
04-01-2005, 12:26 AM
5 starts and it grabbed every time!

Gotta love these shovels, if something ain't workin right, just take it apart and put it back together and it usually takes care of it. I think that is the 3rd or 4th thing I have fixed that way. Saved me $75 in parts too!