PDA

View Full Version : How to change out Brake/Clutch lines

HogDog
08-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Anyone done this before? My existing lines are too short due to some mods I did. If it is not too technical I would like to save some $$$ and do it myself. groucho

animal
08-27-2004, 06:51 PM
I've changed my brake lines. you have to drain the fluid... and rebleed your brake lines after your done...
I strongly suggest the factory service manual... they have step by step procedure for a lot of things like that.
you'll also have to follow the procedure for adjusting your clutch cable after it's installed too.

junior
08-27-2004, 06:54 PM
animal speaketh truly....

cable replacemnt/brake line replacement is a relatively minor project. however- you'd be best to invest in a proper (factory, not haynes or clymer) manual and simply follow along. best tool you'll ever get for your bike....

j

wreckerman
08-27-2004, 06:55 PM
hog dog welcome to the forums you will find that a service book is your best friend when working on a harley but for right now both the brake line and clutch cable or pretty much stight foreward swaps when doing the break line you will have to re-bleed the system and when doing the clutch cable you will have to reajust the clutch cable for free play ..what about your wires are they still long enoff

HogDog
08-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the input Animal. I have one ordered and should be here in a few days. 1beer

HogDog
08-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Wires are good Wrecker ...Thanks