PDA

View Full Version : Basic brewing setup, what do I need?

Wide
04-03-2005, 03:39 AM
I never brewed before in my life.

Any suggestions on getting started?

Tips?

Always thought about it groucho

Rusty
04-03-2005, 03:43 AM
I never brewed before in my life.

Any suggestions on getting started?

Tips?

Always thought about it groucho

Wide.........Most brew shops sell a basic set up. It consist of a couple of 6 gallon plastic buckets and the hardware to get started. The cost of the basic set up is about 50 to 60 bucks. Then a extract recipe kit is about another 25 30 bucks. That and about 3-weeks and you'll be drinking some of the finest beer you've ever had in your life.

Rusty
04-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Also, if you decied to get started brewing......... We can set you up with plenty of reading............There are about 6 gajillion web sites on home brewing. And no it's not required to read them all. If you have a basic knowledge of cooking (boiling water), you can make beer.

Wide
04-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Sounds pretty easy

I'm gonna follow along with you guys for a while then give it a try.

I had a few home brews & they were awsome!!!

Rusty
04-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Sounds pretty easy

This is a good place to start with equipment.........There are others and none are better than any of them. They all sell the same stuff. So It pays to shop price and shipping cost.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=156

Tony
04-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Excellent starter set up for sure. It has everything you need to start out with. I have the same thing just about, but had to buy an auto siphon and thermometer and some glass carboys. Plus many many bottles :D

The glass carboys, used for secondary fermentation are inexpensive and well worth having.

Slice
04-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Wide,

The other guys have you covered, but do consider it.

It takes a bit of time now and then, but the results are well worth it.

It's a great hobby witha very tasty return!

:lol: B)

Tony
04-03-2005, 05:51 AM
...It takes a bit of time now and then, but the results are well worth it...

Its funny you talked about the time thing... My neighbors heard I was home-brewing and started asking me about how long it takes to make a batch. I started telling them about 5-7 days in the primary for initial fermentation, then 2-3 weeks in the secondary, then bottle and wait another 2 weeks for carbonation to complete before ever drinking one bottle...

LOL...there face dropped and they looked at me and said "So, I guess you cant just go whip up some and drink it right away then?" :D

Its well worth the wait!!!!

LostLake
04-03-2005, 05:51 AM
Did I miss the creation of the 'Pig Roast Brewery'??? :D

Cool Beans man. We have a home!

BTW, I just cracked open the first of the batch I made using the light pale malt with just a pound of wheat grain steeped in it...

OMG is it the BOMB!! The wheat worked perfectly, giving it awesome head (and who doesn't apreciate that????) and nice body.

Gotta start another batch of this stuff... it's going quick!!

HeadDoc
04-03-2005, 06:23 AM
you'll find out who all your rowdy frineds are real quick ^_^ whne you start brewing and you'll find out it takes longer to make 5 gallons than it does to drink it all up. Be forewarned though...your taste for store bought will gravitatetoward the $$$ imports B)

and thanks for the new section in the HCG

Slice
04-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Did I miss the creation of the 'Pig Roast Brewery'??? :D

Cool Beans man. We have a home!

BTW, I just cracked open the first of the batch I made using the light pale malt with just a pound of wheat grain steeped in it...

OMG is it the BOMB!! The wheat worked perfectly, giving it awesome head (and who doesn't apreciate that????) and nice body.

Gotta start another batch of this stuff... it's going quick!!

LostLake,

Have you psoted that recipe? It sounds good and I'd like to take a look at trying it.

I just stopped at the supply house and bought another carboy and various other needed items.

I can see how this goes...with the wait time involved I have to have 2 or 3 batches working in various stages to avoid the dry times in between

wreckerman
04-03-2005, 01:35 PM
well i plan on trying my first home brew "thanks slice" today after my ride . slice was nice enought to drop by with a samble of his lite brew for me to try

Slice
04-03-2005, 03:57 PM
well i plan on trying my first home brew "thanks slice" today after my ride . slice was nice enought to drop by with a samble of his lite brew for me to try

Just rmember that it's out of the first ever batch I brewed.

I figure it's okay, but the next ones should be even better!

;) :D

LostLake
04-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeh, Slice, I did post it... If you can follow my ramblings, I just grabbed what ever I thought would work good from the supply shop. It was the last batch I did a play by play about in the beer forum.

Remember I was real worried that the fermenting stuck, and cultivated yeast from a bottle of Hacker Schoer (never used it however).

I'm going to make it again... But if you want an easy easy idea, just put a pound of cracked wheat in a steeping bag, or panty hose or cheesecloth, whatever, and put it in 2 or 3 quarts of water and get the water to 155 degrees and shut off the fire, put a towel or two over the pan to hold in the heat, and let the grain sit for 45 minutes. After the 45 is up, raise the bag and let it drain, then dunk it again, (like making tea) in fact you can run fresh water through the bag also to get all the sugars out of it. I put my sprayer head against the bag and rinse it into the brew kettle. DO NOT SQUEEZE the bag or you will release tannins (yucky stuff).

What will you get from wheat? The beer will be a bit cloudy, have a head that will not go away no matter how long it sits, and it will have a smooth full feel in your mouth. With a light malt it will still have a crisp end after the taste.

Real easy, and worth the try. There's all kinds of things to do with a basic recipe, just making super small changes to swing the final outcome.

HeadDoc would probably be a great resource for this stuff, he brews more than most..

Slice
04-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I do remember that post. Thanks.

Are you suggesting adding the wheat to other recipes as an added flavor , or flavor enhancer?

For example, I have an ingredient kit for an amber ale. Would it benefit from the wheat?

I hadn't thought of adding anything to a basic recipe, but then, I''m still very much a rookie.

Thanks for the thoughts!

LostLake
04-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeh Slice, just add it.

There are all kinds of things you can do.. add honey or flavoring syrups, add rice for crispness, wheat for body, extra malt for alcohol content... You can steep in coffee or chocolate, pumkin mash, orange rinds (nice in a summer wheat by the way)...

Think of what you like and just try a small change in that direction. You like lemon in your beer? Some hops give a real lemony taste, and you can add a shot of lemon flavor to the wort.

Break the mold and go for it, but keep in mind, a little goes a long way usually. Good luck and post your results so we can follow along!!

LostLake
04-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Let me add another note here...

You know what wheat beers taste like... But when you change things around you get different tastes. Wheats typically take a citrusy hops to make them dry. That's great for a summer beer. But adding wheat to a light malt using Cascade or Halletuer hops makes a pilsner with a full mouth.

What I wanted to say is don't shy away from using something you may not care for normally... You may not like the dry crispness of rice like Budweiser uses, but it will have a completely different impact in your porter.

Even those pale ales kits I had and hated so much, I just swapped out some different hops and cut back to an ounce and made some damn good beer....

Tony
04-03-2005, 06:43 PM
MMMmmmmmmmmmm...........Beer!

88FLHTC
12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Sounds pretty easy

This is a good place to start with equipment.........There are others and none are better than any of them. They all sell the same stuff. So It pays to shop price and shipping cost.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=156

Just had to bump this up..I missed it the first time around, but I'm gonna give it a try !!

Thanks for the info !!! drunks 1beer

Tony
12-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Check out More Beer (www.morebeer.com) for equipment. anything or 49 bucks is free shipping.

88FLHTC
01-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Check out More Beer (www.morebeer.com) for equipment. anything or 49 bucks is free shipping.

Great site Tony, just ordered some equipment to get me started...thanks !! drunks

Rusty
01-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Great site Tony, just ordered some equipment to get me started...thanks !! drunks

Keep us updated on how things progress. Your gonna love brewing. drunks

88FLHTC
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM

Keep us updated on how things progress. Your gonna love brewing. drunks

Will do !! ^_^

1beer :wub: