PDA

View Full Version : My hops are up!

emtee
04-03-2005, 02:09 PM
My hops are finally peeking through the ground!

I have been growing hops for my own consumption about four years now, and they are awesome plants to cultivate. They grow up a rope to over fourteen feet high (or whatever you have for them to run on), and they smell fabulous to boot. They are easy to work with and are quite disease resistant. I grow both cascade and nugget. I like to brew with whole hops much better than pellets. They are easier to filter out of the brew pot into the fermenter (I have a valve on the bottom of my brew pot).

I guess the reason I'm posting this is just for information into yet another aspect of home brewing. This is even one that the ol lady might even help with if she has a green thumb. Tell her she can drink if she contributes! :P I am also going to attempt to propegate my plants this year and maybe even market a few of them (probably not until next season though).

If anyone is interested I will take a few snaps throughout the growing season and post a play by play from the earth to the brew pot. Oh yeah, just a couple of plants can grow way more hops than a home brewer could use in a season (they freeze well, but take up much space) so I usually let some of the little fellers rot on the vine every year. If anyone would like to try whole hop brewing I would be happy to send you a bag for nothing more than postage. I'll let you know when the time is right.

Rusty
04-03-2005, 02:40 PM

If anyone is interested I will take a few snaps throughout the growing season and post a play by play from the earth to the brew pot.

Yes.......Lets see some pics. I know HeadDoc grows his own also...........Hops that is. :rolleyes:

LostLake
04-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Never grew my own hops... The local suppliers give out rizomes every year, just never thought about it. It's that easy?

emtee
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
It really is easy to grow hops. You just need some space, whether straight up a post or rope or across the yard. They need something to run on. I know people who run them across their fence line. In a couple of years they will make quite a privacy fence for the summer. I don't have a fence line so I go up, about fourteen feet, with twin ropes for each plant (four plants). That is plenty, well, more than enough hops for my use. They grow very quickly too, you will see a difference every day. I'll post some pics as mine shoot up this summer.

If you mash your own grains (I do not yet), then you HAVE to grow your own hops. I thik it's the law. ;)

LostLake
04-03-2005, 04:06 PM
By golly, I think I'll get some and grow them... always heard it's easy...

And no, I have done full mashes and used pellets, the law never busted me... But pellets are ... well.. pelletized.

My supplier sells hops fresh also. I will use them in the next batch and see if there's a real difference in it.

Any special soil prep or conditions that hops need??

Tony
04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey emtee, which kinds are your growing?

As an Ale lover, Ive narrowed down to 5 kinds that Im going grow:

Hallertau (American) - All Purpose
Fuggles - Finishing
East Kent Goldings - Bittering
Cascade - Finishing
Northern Brewer- Bittering

The ground here is finally unfrozen to plant, and I have a great souhern spot to set them up. this is going to be fun.

emtee
04-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I have three types of hops. I grow Nugget for bittering (very high alpha acid 11-13%) , cascade for finishing (5-7%), and Goldings (5-7%) for dual purpose. I have not had much yield from the Goldings, they don't get as much sun as I thought they would, but I will transplant them into a different spot and see what happens.

You’re going to grow five hop types? Man you must have some serious space for the little buggers to run. Of course they don't get too long in their first year... but watch em go the second! Are you going to run them vertically or horizontally? I use hay bailers twine for running length, and I grow them vertically to 14 feet. The twine is rough enough to help the vine grab easily and it lasts for a long time in the weather. The height is just high enough to be comfortable for picking from an eight foot step ladder.

Good luck with your crop and keep us informed of their progress (with pics).

Tony
04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I have an area where Im going to grow them vertically which runs up to a second floor decking. Im planning on running the lines from the ground up to the top rail of the deck. Its a good 17 feet at least, so they will have some growing room.

Do you train yours as well? Ive been checking out some growing guidelines which shows to train them to start their initial accent. also, that they only spiral around clockwise. I found that interesting as hell.

Also, they say to cut them back to the ground each year before winter. Have you done this as well?

wreckerman
04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
i have a 40 foot fence line wich fase's the sun will trade area for growing hops for free beer

HeadDoc
04-03-2005, 11:44 PM

If anyone is interested I will take a few snaps throughout the growing season and post a play by play from the earth to the brew pot.

Yes.......Lets see some pics. I know HeadDoc grows his own also...........Hops that is. :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO! my hops are up too Emtee. about 3 and a half to 4 feet tall already!

HeadDoc
04-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I have an area where Im going to grow them vertically which runs up to a second floor decking. Im planning on running the lines from the ground up to the top rail of the deck. Its a good 17 feet at least, so they will have some growing room.

Do you train yours as well? Ive been checking out some growing guidelines which shows to train them to start their initial accent. also, that they only spiral around clockwise. I found that interesting as hell.

Also, they say to cut them back to the ground each year before winter. Have you done this as well?

that sounds perfecto Tony. I used to be real anal about it the first few years..now I just let em sprout and they do their own thing. I cut them down at the end of the summer. I usually get 2 separate harvests one in june and one in Aug or Sept. When I cut them down in Aug I sit out back and pick em while drinking beer. Oh I grow cascade, tettenanger, willamette and hallertau

emtee
04-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Tony,
I always cut the vines back at the first frost and then cover the rhizomes with a layer of sawdust or straw. In the spring I give them a good shot of miracle grow. As far as training, I let the vines grow on the ground until they are around six inches long or so. Then I take two of the vines and train them onto each baling twine in a clockwise direction. It will be easy to see which way the plants want to twist, and only one or two training sessions will be needed. Once they get started they will climb like hell on their own. I use two lines per plant, so I need a total of four vines for each run. The rhizome will, in the second year, produce many vines, but all but the four are cut clear back to allow maximum growth of those four.

I was just outside checking the yard and I found three or four rhizomes shooting up in the yard two feet from the plant! Trust me, they will go everywhere if you let them. Here’s a snap of the little suckers as of today 3/03/05

Rusty
04-04-2005, 01:19 AM

ROFLMAO! my hops are up too Emtee. about 3 and a half to 4 feet tall already!

Pics?.........HeadDoc, we need to see these babies............???? :D

HeadDoc
04-04-2005, 02:30 AM
take some tomorrow had to ride most of the day! went to some friends house and they had a crawfish boil ... ate till my vest got tight ^_^

Slice
04-04-2005, 02:35 AM
i have a 40 foot fence line wich fase's the sun will trade area for growing hops for free beer

LMAO!

You'll get plenty of free beer! B)

I'll find a recipe you like and make up a shit pile for ya.

I just brewed up another batch today so I have two of them working now. i have a brown ale on secondary and just did a malt pilsner today.

We'll see they work out...

Tony
04-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!! Also thanks for the pics Emtee.

Hey HeadDoc...send me some of those crawdaddys!!!