PDA

View Full Version : New Equipment Coming

Tony
04-04-2005, 02:55 AM
I ordered a few more goodies and they should be here Monday...

9 gallon Stainless Steel modified Italian kettle with spigot and false bottom. It accepts a 1/2" threaded thermometer as well.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/images/all_grain/9gal_modified_kettle.jpg

Plus a twin 5 gallon rubbermaid mash/lauder tun with valves and one with a sparging arm.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/deluxe-ags.jpg

softailFXST2004
04-04-2005, 03:17 AM
I ordered a few more goodies and they should be here Monday...

9 gallon Stainless Steel modified Italian kettle with spigot and false bottom. It accepts a 1/2" threaded thermometer as well.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/images/all_grain/9gal_modified_kettle.jpg

Plus a twin 5 gallon rubbermaid mash/lauder tun with valves and one with a sparging arm. I'll post a pic of it when I get home...damn firewall here wont let me on my supply sites!

?????? :( dr evil WHAT?????

Tony
04-04-2005, 04:25 AM

LOL...the first one is just a cool brew pot with a faucet installed and a metal sieve inside the bottom which blocks any hops or any grains from draining out. It makes it easy to transfer the cooked liquids to the fermenter. Plus it accepts a thermometer.

The second one is for rinsing the grains after you are finished with them, and you let water gently spray on to the grains and collect the run off, which ends up being your liquid to boil and add hops to.

frobozz
04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm,

Reminds me of Jack Schmidling's, Easymasher.

I do the Gott Cooler thing myself when I do all-grain. It's just sooooo easy.

Have a blast, Tony. I'm telling you though, if you haven't done it already, you have to lose those bottles, and replace with kegs. You'll never go back to bottles, ever.

Fro...

Slice
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM

LOL...the first one is just a cool brew pot with a faucet installed and a metal sieve inside the bottom which blocks any hops or any grains from draining out. It makes it easy to transfer the cooked liquids to the fermenter. Plus it accepts a thermometer.

The second one is for rinsing the grains after you are finished with them, and you let water gently spray on to the grains and collect the run off, which ends up being your liquid to boil and add hops to.

So spit up the info.... :D

That brew pot looks cool. Can you tell me some about it?
How heavy is the metal?

What is that spigot made out of? Obviously it can't be harmed by heat, how is it constructed?

Where did you get it?

I like that, it might be a better alternative to the stainless turkey fryer I've been using. It's a bit thin.

Nice goodies, Tony!

Tony
04-04-2005, 01:52 PM
...if you haven't done it already, you have to lose those bottles, and replace with kegs. You'll never go back to bottles, ever.

Yes, everyone has told me that. I dont have the room yet for kegs. For me its worth the hassle to bottle, but I know that kegging is easier. But, for now, I have to stick with the bottles.

That brew pot looks cool. Can you tell me some about it?
How heavy is the metal?

What is that spigot made out of? Obviously it can't be harmed by heat, how is it constructed?

Where did you get it?

I picked it up at NorthernBrewer.com
The wall thickness is .8mm and bottom thickness 1.0mm, and the spigot is the standard food grade chrome one, but with the 1/2" bung, I can switch to the full-port stainless steel ball valve one if I want to.

I use the following places for different supplies:
MoreBeer.com (free shipping over 50 buck)
HomeBrewer.com
HomeBrewCompany.com
IWantMyBeer.com
NorthernBrewer.com

And locally, there is Beer-wine.com which I visit frequently. This place is a small internet based company, but they have a small retail set up. The owner and every single employee is wonderful, and would talk to you all day if they could. Excellent place for sure.

HeadDoc
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Hmmmm,

Have a blast, Tony. I'm telling you though, if you haven't done it already, you have to lose those bottles, and replace with kegs. You'll never go back to bottles, ever.

Fro...

That's right Fro! I suggest that Tony get a Schmiddling Malt Mill. I have the fixed roller malt mill- lifetime guarantee and built like a brick brewhouse <_< American Made!

That baby will crush some grain. I suffered with a corona mill for a while and it needed a lot of adjsutment and was slow to crush 10 lbs. now I hook my drill to the ole maltmill and let it rip.

Tony
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
That's right Fro! I suggest that Tony get a Schmiddling Malt Mill. I have the fixed roller malt mill- lifetime guarantee and built like a brick brewhouse <_< American Made!

That baby will crush some grain. I suffered with a corona mill for a while and it needed a lot of adjsutment and was slow to crush 10 lbs. now I hook my drill to the ole maltmill and let it rip.

Yeah, a mill is next in line for me. For now I have a local supply guy who I can buy exact recipe amounts of whole malts and have him crush em for me. So until I get my own mill, he's got me covered.

Thanks for letting me know the corona mill is a pain in the ass...

Rusty
04-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Tony, when you get that AG equipment set up and starting your first brew session with it, snap a few pics along the way. I assume your going to batch sparge by the setup that you purchased........

Tony
04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Tony, when you get that AG equipment set up and starting your first brew session with it, snap a few pics along the way. I assume your going to batch sparge by the setup that you purchased........

Its definatley an easy system to use. I plan on using the set up to do a single temperature infusion mash and sparge out in the same container.

I'll grab some pics as soon as I start. Right now Im waiting for all my grains and other hops to show up :D

Rusty
04-04-2005, 08:43 PM

Its definatley an easy system to use. I plan on using the set up to do a single temperature infusion mash and sparge out in the same container.

I'll grab some pics as soon as I start. Right now Im waiting for all my grains and other hops to show up :D

I can't wait to see the outcome. This is my next step after I get the lagering fridge...........

I'm going to rack my blonde ale into one of my kegs tonight.

LostLake
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Hmmmm,

Fro...

I went back to bottles. They transport easier, and I can sample any one of my beers at any time. I suppose I could get multiple taps on my refrigerator.... But if I go back to kegs, I have to get the tap back to my kitchen sink. I hate having the keg in the basement and the drinking going on upstairs....

Rusty
04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm,

Fro...

I went back to bottles. They transport easier, and I can sample any one of my beers at any time. I suppose I could get multiple taps on my refrigerator.... But if I go back to kegs, I have to get the tap back to my kitchen sink. I hate having the keg in the basement and the drinking going on upstairs....

You should just send me your Co2 bottle and beer lines........ :D :D :D

frobozz
04-05-2005, 11:49 PM
That's right Fro! I suggest that Tony get a Schmiddling Malt Mill.

I have that same one here (fixed rollers). Excellent mill.

I remember interacting with Jack within the old rec.crafts.brewing newsgroup (dates me, doesn't it). Jack was hawking his newly invented brewing contraptions on the news group despite strigent protocols against.

George Fix was also a frequent contributor.

I have attached a pic of my bike and some brewing equip. Taken in my basement a minute ago. The bike, I hope, is coming out this weekend..... been waiting for the snow to melt in my backyard so I can get it out.

What's missing from the pic is my 6 gal ss primary fermentor. It is currently in use.

Fro....