PDA

View Full Version : fusel alcohols?

HeadDoc
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
with the weather starting to warm up here in OK I thought I'd tell you guys about a bad batch from severla years ago. Nope I didn't dump it.. I drank it all.

I made a standard american Pale ale. As it was in the primary there was a heat wave and my hacienda got up to about 85 degrees f. for a few days while we were gone out of town. Some of the precious nectar did blowout of the airlock onto the floor, but my boston terriers lapped it up. and I noticed they got loopy drunks
Anyhow I racked to the secondary and dry hopped with some cascades.

now when I keggeed it a few weeks after that the hop aroma was pretty strong. I carbonated and later tasted and it had a mediciney taste somewhat like a cross between cheap brandy, listerine, cough syrup, and beer. (yeah I have an educated palate groucho )

Let me tell ya guys that was some strong stuff. one pint and you needeed to put on your cheap sunglasses. two pints and you were bulletproof, three pints and you were invisible dr evil . Problem was. that stuff would give you a headache that couldn't be cured for 24 hours....not even by the hair of the dog!

If you ferment too hot you will get off tastes and fusel alcohols (or hangover juice). So always try your best to keep it between 55-70 for ales and if you can keep your range from going over 10 degrees or less its even better e.g., 60-70. That is a must for lagers need even better temp control for that.

Rusty
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks Head Doc........I've been worried about this since it's already starting to get warmer here in Oklahoma. I'm already running the AC during the day at my house. I'm in the process of looking for a lagering fridge. I'll be doing lagers this summer and save the ales for the cooler months.

LostLake
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Yep, I did that a couple times myself, and the taste is kind of mediciny...

But I drank it too. Hell, I waited 3 weeks for it, I'm drinkin' it!!!

Tony
04-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Its funny as flucutations of only 5-10 degrees during fermentation is enough to throw off the taste. Thats why Im not doing any lagers until I can get a separate fridge to lager in. I can keep temps constant enough for ales, but not for the 32 - 45 degrees for lagering.