PDA

View Full Version : Gravity question

Slice
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
What is the reason for taking initial gravity readings?

It's not like I can do anything about it, or can I?

Slice
04-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Answer to my own question in here:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=8934

Tony
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
LOL!!! Cool!!!

HeadDoc
04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I used to be very meticulous and take readings throughout the process. After awhile though you get a feel for what your OG and FG will be depending on your grain bill...which translates into alc %. I generally keep my grain bill between 9 and 13 lbs for 5 gallons and I haven't used the hydrometer for ages. It is critical that you do use it though if you are entering competitions so that you can get your % alc in the style guidelines for whatever your beer is supposed to be. I still write down my grain bill, yeast, hops etc for every beer I make and write my flavor impressions as the brew ages and is drunk up.

If I'm making a session beer (one that you sit all afternoon and drink without going blind) I stay around 8-9 lbs/5gallons. Most of the time I am in the 10-12 lb range though.

my two cents

LostLake
04-06-2005, 02:51 AM
I used to use the funny glass tube with the numbers also. Showed me a batch was stuck once, other than that it's just a pain to get a sample and not contaminate the batch, then learn what? Like HeadDoc said, less malt = less buzz. I could see if someone dropped off a kettle of wort and wanted you to make beer from it, then I would use it... You may need champagne yeast!!

frobozz
04-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I used to use the funny glass tube ....

Like others here.... I have one..... not sure I remember how to use it.

Fro...