PDA

View Full Version : Dead Guy Ale.......

Rusty
04-05-2005, 12:46 AM
My wife is so good to me.......She came home from work with a sixer of Dead Guy Ale. Just for me............... :wub:

LostLake
04-05-2005, 01:05 AM
You're a lucky man....

Tony
04-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Cool!!!!

Rusty
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I found an AG clone recipe for this beer. I have also converted it to Extract if any one is interested. This is what I'll be making this weekend.

3.0 lbs. American Munich
1.0 lbs. Carastan 30°L
8.0 lbs. American 2-row
0.5 lbs. Muntons Dry Extra Light
1.0 oz. Perle (Whole, 6.5 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.6 oz. Saaz (Whole, 2.6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1.0 oz. Perle (Whole, 6.5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.4 oz. Saaz (Whole, 2.6 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1.0 oz. Saaz (Whole, 6.5 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP002 English Ale info

Note: Rouge brewery uses pacman yeast in this beer. If you can havest it, the beer would turn out better.

Slice
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Rusty,

I'd like the Extract version if you have it handy.

Thanks.

Rusty
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Rusty,

I'd like the Extract version if you have it handy.

Thanks.

Extract Version

OG = 1.059
SRM = 8.1
IBU = 47.6

EXTRA LIGHT LME = 6.6 LBS
LIGHT DME = .5 LBS
CRYSTAL 40L = 1 LBS (STEEP)

¾ OZ. PERLE PELLET (8.25% AAU) 60 MIN
¾ OZ. SAAZ PELLET (3.5% AAU) 60 MIN
1 OZ. PERLE PELLET (8.25% AAU) 15 MIN
1 OZ. SAAZ PELLET (3.5% AAU) 15 MIN
1 OZ. SAAZ PELLET (3.5% AAU) 2 MIN

WLPOO2 YEAST

Same note on the yeast applies...........

Also notice I use pellet hops in the extract version. It's easier and cheaper for me to get pellet hops when using this much. Just use a hop bag during your boil.

Slice
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Rusty,

Thanks a lot. I've printed both this and Scottish Ale recipes.

I'll stop by the supply house ans see if they can provide this stuff for me.

I'll have to flip a coin to see which to try first!

bottomsup

Rusty
04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Rusty,

Thanks a lot. I've printed both this and Scottish Ale recipes.

I'll stop by the supply house ans see if they can provide this stuff for me.

I'll have to flip a coin to see which to try first!

bottomsup

I've already called my brew store and they have everything for the Dead Guy Ale, so that is what I'm making this weekend. And when it is done ferminting, it will go into my second keg. I'll have 2 in kegs and I still have 2 cases of my american light to drink. So I after this weekend I'll have roughly 15 gallons at my house in verious stages. Damn, maybe I should make another batch of American Light............I don't want to run out ya know............ bottomsup bottomsup drunks

Slice
04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Damn, maybe I should make another batch of American Light............I don't want to run out ya know............ bottomsup bottomsup drunks

I do hear that. I'm going to be 3 weeks between the time I run out and the time another batch is ready..

Poor planning on my part :blink2: caged

Lesson learned.....

Rusty
04-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Damn, maybe I should make another batch of American Light............I don't want to run out ya know............ bottomsup bottomsup drunks

I do hear that. I'm going to be 3 weeks between the time I run out and the time another batch is ready..

Lesson learned.....

That happend to me once and I decieded to not let that happen again. :(

Rusty
04-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Got all the ingrediants on my way home. Total cost was $33.00. That will make approx. 5 gallons (48 - 12oz bottles).........69 cents per bottle.

Tony
04-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Got all the ingrediants on my way home. Total cost was $33.00. That will make approx. 5 gallons (48 - 12oz bottles).........69 cents per bottle.

Cant beat that price one bit!!!!

Slice
04-08-2005, 01:35 PM

Lesson learned.....

With that thought in mind, I boiled up a batch last night.
I had an Amber Ale kit from Brewers Best tht I got with the original equipment order.
Pitched the yeast last night at 10:30. No joy yet . Not a single burp out of the airlock.

I used vodka in the airlock and when pouring it into the lock a small amount dribbled into the wort. :blink2:

Wonder what affect that will have? Kill the yeast?

Damn.....

Think I'll stick with water in the airlock.

Rusty
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Lesson learned.....

Pitched the yeast last night at 10:30. No joy yet . Not a single burp out of the airlock.
Don't worry.......It' will happen.

I used vodka in the airlock and when pouring it into the lock a small amount dribbled into the wort. :blink2:

Wonder what affect that will have? Kill the yeast?

Damn.....

Think I'll stick with water in the airlock.

No, It won't kill the yeast. Don't worry and relax. Remember Head Doc's words in the original thread..........

"It's hard to screw up a batch of beer"

Tony
04-08-2005, 09:20 PM
"It's hard to screw up a batch of beer"

LOL, unless you drink a shit load of homebrew while making homebrew and endup face down in homebrew...then I guess there would be a chance...lol

I read about making Belgian "Lambic" ale, and how they used to pitch the fresh wort to open pans in the attics of the brewery and expose it to an airborne yeast that is know to exist in the Brussels area. This would kill any other beer, but for the lambic it was part of the recipe. They actually sell these wild strains to put in Lambic if you ever decide to make it. One tastes/smells doughy and breadlike, while the more closer associate yeast taste/smells like "wet horse hair". I think I would have to try a bottle of it before ever brewing any, as this sounds like an odd ass beer.

Slice
04-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Well, still no joy....

I pulled the lid and see absolutely no signs of fermentation. As I type this it's been over 25 hours...

I'm going over to the brew shop and buying another packet of yeast.

If that doesn't work, I'll be totally stumped.

Tony
04-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Well, still no joy....

I pulled the lid and see absolutely no signs of fermentation. As I type this it's been over 25 hours...

What did you use as yeast the first time?

Rusty
04-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Well, still no joy....

What was the wort temp when you pitched the first yeast?
What yeast was it that you used?

Hellswraith
04-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Hmm Oklahoma - not to far from the Texas border . If I ride up can I sample it ?? :lol: bottomsup

Slice
04-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Wort temp was 70 deg exactly (thank you wort cooler, what a great tool).

Yeast is Nottingham by Danstar.

Other than bad yeast and about 3 drops of vodka falling into the wort, I have no idea what the deal is here.

It has been sitting at 69 deg since pitched.

My curiousity is up on this one, I'm going to re-pitch to see if it was the yeast if nothing else.

Wonder if it would still be good after sitting with no fermentation?

Rusty
04-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Wonder if it would still be good after sitting with no fermentation?

It should be ok, as long as it's not exposed to the open.....Make sure you give it a good shake right before you pitch the yeast. It's needs a little oxygen to feed on.

LostLake
04-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Slice you can wait some more. My last batch was 'stuck' and waited almost 2 days to start. To me this is the scariest time, you have invested money, time and yes, LOVE in your beer and now it sits, ripe for infection with no protective layer of CO2 gas coating the wort.

Remember I had to go to a Karate class and couldn't get to the brew shop so I bought a bottle of bottle-conditioned beer and made a mini wort to grow some yeast, and by the time that was going and I could pitch it, the bucket started to bubble. That had to be at least 48 hours, I could go look at that thread and be sure, it could have been 60 hours.

I have had off tastes come into my beer, so I get nervous. But for now have faith that you were clean enough during all your work. The vodka won't hurt it... your beer yeast will be able to handle at least 7% alcohol, and if you pour a pint of 80 proof (40%) in the wort, diluted into 5 gallons, well I'm not feeling like siphering it out this morning, but you have very very very little alcohol in the wort still. The yeast will just laugh and keep on munching sugars.

By the way.. My last batch is one of the best I ever made... scary good, because I can't quit drinking it when I start..

As long as your yeast showed some life before you pitched, it will happen.

Slice
04-09-2005, 03:19 PM
As long as your yeast showed some life before you pitched, it will happen.

How would I know?
The directions for this yeast was to sprinkle on top of 86 to 92 deg water. Let it sit for 15 min. to rehydrate and then stir in.
I put it on water that was at 85. Waited the 15 minutes and stirred it in. The wait time cooled it down some and then I pitched into well stirred wort.

The yeast just looks like a light brown gravy at that point.

How would I know if it's active?

Thanks for the thoughts guys. This is very informative...

Rusty
04-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I never make a starter for Nottinghams..........the best results I've gotten from that yeast is by just pitching it in dry.

Tony
04-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Any time I have used dry yeast, I hydrate it before hand to make sure its still good. Many times the dry yeasts can be old and ineffective.

Once you sprinkle it over 80-90 degree water and let it sit. It should build up a bit of a yeast head before stirring it in to pitch it. This is the way to find out if the yeast is good or not. As if you go to hydrate it and it does nothing, then you need to pour your wort into the fermenter, close it up tight and get another yeast.

The "Slap Packs" need to be activated hours ahead of time, and you get more of a lead time to make sure its still good.

Rusty
04-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Well, the "Dead Guy Ale" clone is in the ferminter with the Yeast. I pitched the yeast at 1800 hrs. We'll see how this one goes. It had a very nice Auburn color to the wort.........

Tony
04-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Im gonna have to make this one for sure!!!!

Rusty
04-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Im gonna have to make this one for sure!!!!

Tony, If I were going to make this again. I'd do the AG recipe. I missed my target gravity by 10 points...........And I don't know why yet.........

Rusty
04-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Ok, hold the phone...................

When I converted the recipe I used the program "Pro-Mash" It said I should have a OG = 1.059

When I input the same recipe into "Q-Brew" It says I should have a OG = 1.056

My actuall OG = 1.049 (corrected for temp) So I was only 6 points off of Q-Brew which is within the margin of error.

Did that make a damn bit of sense?

Rusty
05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Pulled my first pint of Dead Guy Ale clone. It has the perfect amount of carbonation and taste exactly like the real thing. This is an amazing beer. I needed it today also. My bike is in but the bars are not. So I'm kinda bummed. Oh well, I have a full keg of DGA to drink. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tony
05-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Pulled my first pint of Dead Guy Ale clone. It has the perfect amount of carbonation and taste exactly like the real thing. This is an amazing beer. I needed it today also. My bike is in but the bars are not. So I'm kinda bummed. Oh well, I have a full keg of DGA to drink. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Glad to hear the Ded Guy came out great!!!!!

Sucks about the bars though!!!

Tony
05-06-2005, 03:58 AM
Well with my Hop Rod in freshly in the bottles and the last of all my other brews already drank this past week, I needed something to drink to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. So I dropped down to my local purveyor of specialty brew and picked up some of my favorite brew, NewCastle Brown Ale. I started looking for something else as well, and ended up seeing the a happy skeleton sitting on a cask. Yup, they actually carried the wonderful Rogue Ales "Dead Guy Ale"!!!!!

Damn this stuff is great. Such a wonderfully hopped beer with a hell of a good taste! Fuck this stuff is great!!!!

I had researched it last night while copying Rustys recipe:

"Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock (dopplebock) made with Rogue's proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops."

So, after reading this, Rusty...which recipe dd you use, the extract or grain?

Rusty
05-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Well with my Hop Rod in freshly in the bottles and the last of all my other brews already drank this past week, I needed something to drink to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. So I dropped down to my local purveyor of specialty brew and picked up some of my favorite brew, NewCastle Brown Ale. I started looking for something else as well, and ended up seeing the a happy skeleton sitting on a cask. Yup, they actually carried the wonderful Rogue Ales "Dead Guy Ale"!!!!!

Damn this stuff is great. Such a wonderfully hopped beer with a hell of a good taste! Fuck this stuff is great!!!!

I had researched it last night while copying Rustys recipe:

"Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock (dopplebock) made with Rogue's proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops."

So, after reading this, Rusty...which recipe dd you use, the extract or grain?

I used the extract Recipe that i manually converted from the AG recipe. Mine taste exactly like the real thing. The AG version is supposed to be dead on........pardon the pun. Now you see why I like it so much. As a matter of fact I have not tasted a Rouge beer that I don't like. I've got a clone of Rouge's Shakespear Stout in a keg that I'm going to serve to the Tulsa Press Club next week, should be another one that is right on.

Rusty
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
3.0 lbs. American Munich
1.0 lbs. Carastan 30°L
8.0 lbs. American 2-row

Dont try to harvest the pacman from a bottle of Rouge. I found out that they filter their beer to remove the traces of pacman and bottle condition with some other yeast. They do this so no one can get hold of their strain of yeast.

Tony
05-07-2005, 02:14 AM
3.0 lbs. American Munich
1.0 lbs. Carastan 30°L
8.0 lbs. American 2-row

Dont try to harvest the pacman from a bottle of Rouge. I found out that they filter their beer to remove the traces of pacman and bottle condition with some other yeast. They do this so no one can get hold of their strain of yeast.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!