PDA

View Full Version : S&S carb differance between shovelhead and evo?

bikerinthenight
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
other than the intake, is there a differance between the S&S carbs between the two? I have a S&S super e on my 82 shovel head and a friend of mine has a S&S super e on his 97 or 99 fatboy, cant remember the year for sure. anyway, he is putting the stock carb back on his bike and offerd to give me his in trade for mine, he plans on selling it at a swap meet in a couple weeks, he has only had this carb on for about 500 miles or less, so it is basicaly brand new, where as mine is atleast ten years old. he has been having problems with his bike for a while so he decided to take it to the dealership and they told him that his model bike would not run right with the S&S carb, which is bullshit IMO, but anyway, he is now convinced that his bike problem is because of the carb, even though it pretty much did the same thing before he got the carb. (never wants to start, your not going to believe this, but everytime he goes to start it, he cranks the throttle almost all the way constantly, clearly flooding it out. he has only owned flatheads prior to this, so you just cant convince him about how the accelerater pump in the "newer" carbs work. very agravating. on mine, I crank the throttle once and it starts right away, all the time) I have tried to tell him that the carb can and will work on his bike, but he just flat refuses to run it. so what do ya think? should I trade my ten year old S&S for his brand new one? if they are the same that is? the only thing that bugs me is the fact that I have never had any problems with my carb and I really hate to start out the season tunning it up and having to play with it. the swap meet is in two weeks, so if I dont do the swap soon, he is going to just sell it. I really aint going to have much time to test it out. but if it is the exact same carb, I`m thinking jet it the same as mine and I`m good to go. I know, if it aint broke dont fix it, but man does this carb and cover shine like mine ten years ago B) Thanks for any and all thoughts.

rwpatton
04-06-2005, 03:47 PM
The carb is the same only jetted different. It will work, no problem.

RW

Wide
04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Biker

You got it right

They are the same carbs except they are just jetted differnetly for the evo.
Just swap the jets with your carb.

Like you said if it works leave it alone

:D

Soretailcat
04-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Biker,
Other than the jetting difference there is one very important difference in your older Super E and the newer one. S&S started delivering the Super E in the fall of 2003 with an adjustable air bleed for the main jet. If you pull the float bowl off, turn the carb upside down you will see a second main jet screwed into the carb body itself. It will likely be a number 40 jet. The older E carbs simply had a hole drilled into the carb body itself. Because of the many different combinations of cams, exhausts, heads etc, on the market now, changing the air bleed can lessen or completely clear up some rich condition problems during the transition from the intermediate to the main jetting. The only bad thing is that S&S put the air bleed on the inside which requires the removal of the float bowl to change the jet. Those of us in the aftermarket have been putting the bleed on the outside for years....much easier to work with. I can convert the bleed to the outside if desired. The stock bleed will work in most situations, but some setups, like my '02 XL, need more separation between the intermediate and main settings and if you run a ThunderJet an adjustable air bleed is a necessity.
Soretailcat

bikerinthenight
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the info!! ya know, I`m really not into the fashion show, but my carb is looking alittle rough these days, and will probley soon if not now, need to be gone thru, so i went ahead and picked up his carb today, I have`nt took the bowl off yet but I`m looking forward to checking it out. considering the differance with the air bleed on the new one, should I still run the same jets that I had in my carb? also, he has two differant type filters, one is a thin sponge looking type, and the other is just like a car air filter. mine has always had the sponge looking one. Thanks again.

Soretailcat
04-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Use whatever jetting ran well in the original.
The sponge (Unifilter) came on the earlier carbs. This one needs to be oiled with FOAM filter oil to work properly.
The paper filter is supplied with the later carbs. Do not oil this filter..it is NOT a K&N filter.
Soretailcat

rwpatton
04-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Soretail once again a very valid and important point. YOU ROCK!

Thanks for pointing that out. You are an very valued asset to HCG.

RW B)