PDA

View Full Version : Future of Harley/Speculation

Mungo
04-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I *think* I've heard it said here that in a few years ('06 or '07 or '08) more and more Harleys will have the Revolution engine (V-Rod) on them?

- Does anyone have links and or more info? Or even on the new DOT emissions standards?

- I'd heard that you were only allowed one DOT variant bike per life time?

- Wonder what will happen to the prices of the traditional Harleys. Think they'll go up even more, or flop?

And I'm worried to - I love the growl of my bike, I've waited 30 years to have this thing and it may have to change?

gliderider94
04-07-2005, 08:39 PM
I love my old dresser but if they put the V-Rod motor in the dresser I'd absolutely have to have one. i too like to traditional Harley sound, but I would love the opportunity to have that type of performance and engineering in a dresser powerplant.

Wide
04-08-2005, 02:53 AM
For 2006

More EFI due to the fact all bikes must comply with Californeee standards & NO tampering is allowed, same as cars

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
04-08-2005, 03:30 AM
I love my old dresser but if they put the V-Rod motor in the dresser I'd absolutely have to have one. i too like to traditional Harley sound, but I would love the opportunity to have that type of performance and engineering in a dresser powerplant.

Would be cool as hell though...

I heard a brand new V-Rod as passed by today, and the owner had changed the pipes and the damn thing sounded really good. So hopefully by the time they decided to drop the Rev engines in standard design frames they will have improved the exhaust system or are able to provide a good replacement set of pipes which will be legal for use on 06 and greater bikes.

wreckerman
04-08-2005, 11:51 PM
well if i had to speculate on what harley plans in the near future it would be the v rod set up in a bagger first and in limit production , i would also think you could see a six speed before too much longer, other then that and them pushing more of the screaming eagel bikes, cant think of anything ealse

dynaRide
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Ya the six speed will be next... Just my opinion.... I gotta say, my EFI rocks... No lean cough. And with the tunning thru maps is cool.

Tony
04-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Ya the six speed will be next... Just my opinion.... I gotta say, my EFI rocks... No lean cough. And with the tunning thru maps is cool.

I wanna 6 speed tranny as well...once I get the cash!

Crazybastid83
04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
I think all new Harley's will soon come with a trailer. Hd bug splat stickers that you can apply to make it look like you rode it, in the accessories catalog. Leather "Docker's" will be all the rage in the motorclothes boutique. While waiting for your scoot to be serviced, not only will you be able to sip cappucino, but you will also be able to get a sea wed facial, a manicure and a massage at the dealership. There will also be a "dog walking" service, for "Buffy", your prized poodle, while you pick out your new bike.

wreckerman
04-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I think all new Harley's will soon come with a trailer. Hd bug splat stickers that you can apply to make it look like you rode it, in the accessories catalog. Leather "Docker's" will be all the rage in the motorclothes boutique. While waiting for your scoot to be serviced, not only will you be able to sip cappucino, but you will also be able to get a sea wed facial, a manicure and a massage at the dealership. There will also be a "dog walking" service, for "Buffy", your prized poodle, while you pick out your new bike.

i thought they had all of this service already, now if they could just fix the bikes we would be all set :lol:

Nico
04-09-2005, 01:42 AM
For 2006

More EFI due to the fact all bikes must comply with Californeee standards & NO tampering is allowed, same as cars

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad I live in a non-emmissions state... my 91 mustang had the cats and smog pump ripped of it within a week of me getting it :)

Tony
04-09-2005, 01:50 AM
I think all new Harley's will soon come with a trailer. Hd bug splat stickers that you can apply to make it look like you rode it, in the accessories catalog. Leather "Docker's" will be all the rage in the motorclothes boutique...

Man I was just talking to a friend about the "boutique" bullshit. A kid we know wears Harley hats, shirts, jeans and more...and DOESNT even fucking ride! People like this walk around strutting with Harley all over every fucking thing and dont even ride.

I dont know...I bought a pair of HD boots which I like only because they fit great, but own three pairs of other brands. My jeans...are the lowest price I can find (Sears) as its bad enough with the cost of Levi's let alone HD jeans. Yeah, an occasional shirt or jacket...but 90% of the shit they sell I would never fucking wear or buy! But I guess a shit load of people love to buy the other 90%...sad.

Crazybastid83
04-09-2005, 01:58 AM
The worst thing is, the people who work at the "Boutiques" are becoming as bad as the rub customers. I went to a dealer and asked the parts guy for the signal relocation kit for a FLSTF. The parts guy said, "Go see the service Department". I said "For what I just want the part". The parts guy said "Oh no, you cant install that yourself, go to service" I then told him " It is an easy install just give me the part" Then with a sarcastic attitude he said " Oh so now you are an electrician" I finally told him, "just give me the part jerk off".

I needed the part right away, to finish off someone else's bike, otherwise I would have walked out.

Tony
04-09-2005, 02:12 AM
The worst thing is, the people who work at the "Boutiques" are becoming as bad as the rub customers. I went to a dealer and asked the parts guy for the signal relocation kit for a FLSTF. The parts guy said, "Go see the service Department". I said "For what I just want the part". The parts guy said "Oh no, you cant install that yourself, go to service" I then told him " It is an easy install just give me the part" Then with a sarcastic attitude he said " Oh so now you are an electrician" I finally told him, "just give me the part jerk off".

I needed the part right away, to finish off someone else's bike, otherwise I would have walked out.

Thats sad for sure...

Remember the old timers in the parts department? When you would ask for something and they knew what you wanted, where it was and gave you hints and tips? Now, if you can page through a catalog, you are as good as the parts guy. Not saying good people arent out there, but they are hard to find for sure...

Nico
04-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Are you guys describing the local dealer where I live?

According to them Harley never made a bike before the EVO :blink2:

And for the record, I never bought a harley shirt or anything till I actually had mine :) Now I have way too many, gave some to my cousin for 'stage shirts' in his rock band..

tradrockrat
04-09-2005, 04:31 AM
I tell everybody i know about Van Nuys Harley. There is ONE (1) guy who really knows his shit. Rides an old school bike and just plain knows Harleys. The others can't even get me the right spark plugs...

Find a good guy and stick with HIM - not the dealer.

Tony
04-09-2005, 04:41 AM
I tell everybody i know about Van Nuys Harley. There is ONE (1) guy who really knows his shit. Rides an old school bike and just plain knows Harleys. The others can't even get me the right spark plugs...

Find a good guy and stick with HIM - not the dealer.

Had one at my local dealer...but he quit for unknown reasons. this guy didnt need catalogs, parts books, or anything...was an amazing wealth of knowledge...

Like I said though...was. Now, if you have a catalog or parts book you basically need to look it up, get page number and parts numbers t get them started, or watch them as they page through them in front of you.

Oli1200
04-09-2005, 05:16 AM

Aww man carbed bikes keeps things old school. If I were to get another I'd stick with a carb. That's just me.

I remember before I got my bike I bought a $90 (Canadian) mechanics shirt from the dealership. I'll admit I was a poser for a little while. To this day I refuse to buy any "motorclothes" crap from the dealer. Going through the Harley clothing catalogue is like browsing through a GAP catalogue. Were's my Iron Cross FTW shirt at?? :D

Hueyjd00
04-20-2005, 07:54 AM
And I'm worried to - I love the growl of my bike, I've waited 30 years to have this thing and it may have to change?

The EPA regs state that any bike manufactured 2006 or after will be affected. 2005 to 1903 will be exempt from any emissions unless already mandated by your state.

How can they get away with this? Where were our watch dogs when this was coming down? It’s like every one was out in the weeds taking a leak and then POW.... The epa says my new 2006 can't have drag pipes. Also all of the custom makers and etc will now rake the price up because they will only be able to make (i think this number is correct) 25 bikes per year that are exempt from the regs and allowed to have pipes and carbs.

I don't know too much about this as I am trying to read more and understand it. If any one has any other information or can correct me, please do. Go to http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/2004/January/Day-15/a006.htm

falcon
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
A Little history can sometimes, eliminate the future concerns>>>>

Harley-Davidson is the major large scale American manufacturer of motorcycles. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are distinctive in design and attract a loyal following. Their sound is unique. While other motorcycle manufacturers have attempted to copy the Harley, Harley-Davidson motorcycles really can't be copied. Bikers who are not fans contend that the bikes are badly engineered, under-powered and under-performing, and have poor handling, mainly as a result of their American pedigree. They're designed for long, low-speed cruising on flat, straight roads. Most of those who believe this have probably not experienced the new reality. Harley's aren't designed to compete with pocket rockets, but they're hardly the high heels of biking.
The Harley-Davidson Motor Company continues to supply many police forces with their motorcycle fleets. Of course, by the time the bikes are loaded with police gear, the acceleration, handling and top end make catching up with a biker intent on disappearing unlikely.

A Bit of Harley History...

The Harley-Davidson enterprise got off to a less than auspicious start in Milwaukee in 1901 when William Harley, 21 and Arthur Davidson, 20, built a prototype motorized bicycle. It was built in the Davidson garage, which measured only 10 by 15 ft (3 by 5 m). Once their prototype was functional, they were joined by Davidson's two brothers William and Walter.

In their first two years, they only managed to produce 3 motorcycles.

The Harley-Davidson Motor Company was officially founded on August 28, 1903, and they officially started production. They had made some pretty big changes from the early prototypes, including a redesigned frame. Still, the 1903 production was only 3 bikes.

In 1906 they built their first real building on Juneau Avenue, which is still the location of the company today. They had been ramping production up gradually, and with the new facilities they were able to produce 150 motorcycles in 1907, an important year in the life of the fledgling company. They sold their first police motorcycle in 1908 to the Detroit, Michigan, police department. That tradition continues today.

The early bikes had a single-piston engine. In 1909, the enduring H-D icon, a 45-degree V-Twin engine, was first introduced. This first V-Twin wasn't the powerhouse that it is today. It displaced only 49.6 cubic inches (810 cm³) and produced only 7 horsepower (5 kW). Still, that was double the power of the first bikes. The top speed was 60 mph (97 km/h), quite a speed in those days. Production was 1,149 motorcycles.

Harley-DavidsonB. Shifting...
18x24 Vinta...
Buy From Art.com

The success of the company had begun to attract attention, and Harley-Davidson had over 150 competitors by 1911.

By 1913 the original factory, which measured only 28 by 80 ft (9 by 24 m), had been expanded to a roomy 297,110 ft³ (28,000 m³). Despite the harsh competition, Harley-Davidson was already pulling ahead of the pack, completely dominating motorcycle racing. Production had swelled to 12,904 machines.

In 1917, the United States was drawn into World War I. The military demanded motorcycles for the war effort. Harleys had already been used by the military in border skirmishes with Pancho Villa, but World War I was the first time the motorcycle had been broadly adopted for combat service. The company had consolidated its position as the motorcycle of choice for police forces. Harley-Davidson provided over 20,000 machines to the military forces during World War I.

By 1920, Harley-Davidson was officially the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world. Their motorcycles were sold by dealers in 67 countries. Production was 28,189 machines.

Harley-DavidsonB. Mascot
18x24 Vinta...
Buy From Art.com

In 1921, a milestone was reached in motorcycle racing. A Harley-Davidson machine was the very first to win a race at an average speed of over 100 mph (160 km/h).

During the 1920s, several improvements were put in place, such as a new 74 cubic inch (1.2 L) V-Twin, introduced in 1922, and the gas tank we still see today, called a "Teardrop" tank, in 1925. A front brake was added in 1928.

Harley DavidsonB. 1936 Knucklehead
18x24 Vinta...
Buy From Art.com

One of only two American cycle manufacturers to survive the Great Depression, Harley-Davidson again produced large numbers of motorcycles for the army in World War II and resumed civilian production afterwards, producing a range of large V-twin motorcycles that were successful both on racetracks and for private buyers.

By the 1970s, however, the Harley Davidson Company had ceased to be an innovator in the motorcycle industry, and the design had remained basically unchanged for many years. The bikes were expensive and far inferior in performance, handling, and quality to Japanese motorcycles. AM bought the company and ramped up production, but this tactic resulted in even worse quality bikes. Sales declined, quality plummeted, and the company almost went out of business. The venerable name of "Harley Davidson" was mocked as "Hardly Able", and the nickname "hog" was both affectionate and pejorative. AM sold the company back to a small group of investors, who slowed production, introduced innovative production techniques, and improved quality.

Harley Softail
24x20 Fine Art Print
Buy From Art.com

Rather than trying to match the Japanese at their own game, this new management deliberately exploited the "retro" appeal of the machines, building motorcycles that deliberately aped the look and feel of their earlier machines and the subsequent customizations of owners of that era. Quality was better, and technical improvements have been made, but these goals were never achieved at the cost of substantially modifying the design of the machine except by gradual degrees.

Even a brand new Harley therefore is in some respects a classic waiting to happen. Probably for this reason, as well as their general collectibility, Harley-Davidson motorcycles hold their resale value very well compared to other vehicles. A well maintained vehicle might never drop in value at all, although regular maintenance and customization are expected.

Similarly, the company now makes more money selling licensed merchandise featuring the Harley-Davidson logo than selling motorcycles.

Today, Harley-Davidson is considered an example of an American company that turned itself around from the brink of bankruptcy and back to profitability.

In 1998, Harley-Davidson acquired long time partner Buell Motorcycle Company. Buell motorcycles were first built in 1993 by a partnership between Harley-Davidson and former Harley Engineer Eric Buell. Buell started with a stock Sportster engine, highly modified it and bolted it into a frame of his own design. Today, Buell motorcycles are on the cutting edge of street bike technology. They typically employ radical frame designs and state of the art suspension systems that, along with the high output Sportster engine, culminate in a powerful, nimble and atypical alternative to the Japanese sport bikes.

Buster
04-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Man I was just talking to a friend about the "boutique" bullshit. A kid we know wears Harley hats, shirts, jeans and more...and DOESNT even fucking ride! People like this walk around strutting with Harley all over every fucking thing and dont even ride.

I dont know...I bought a pair of HD boots which I like only because they fit great, but own three pairs of other brands. My jeans...are the lowest price I can find (Sears) as its bad enough with the cost of Levi's let alone HD jeans. Yeah, an occasional shirt or jacket...but 90% of the shit they sell I would never fucking wear or buy! But I guess a shit load of people love to buy the other 90%...sad.

I guess I am in the minority. I own 1 Harley T-shirt.......... the one given to me by the dealer when I bought my bike. I don't have a Harley window decal, liscense plate or any HD clothing. I did buy a pair of HD boots at a discount boot store because they were on sale at 50% off. I didn't go in to buy HD boots. Didn't even know they carried them. I could care less about owning anything that says HD on it cept my m/c.

The biggest majority of time that I am riding, I have a UPS uniform on! :lol: The rest of the time I wear what I happen to have on be it a polo, a dress shirt, or a plain white T-shirt. I don't dress up in biker attire to ride my bike. I won't pay the big bucks HD charges for their clothing to advertise for them. I love my HD motorcyle but thats as far as it goes.

OldSalt
04-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Future of Harley=$$$$$$$$$$

Those guys have it made! If the corpooration was not a bunch of jerks, they would do even better. They will continue to trot out their mascot "Willie G" who is a modern day Colonel Sanders pitchman and they will smile and make crazy money.

falcon
04-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Buster, don't get me wrong, wear whatever you wish, but if you've
ever had someone pull out in front you and laid one down. You'll wear something that will provide protection between the highway and your
skin.

Locally, HD dealer has a better price on blue jeans than the regular
stores, for now anyway. Best price is what I find it's all about.

Kagan
05-08-2005, 04:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/kagan637/Casey.jpg

This was my boss in '95. (the guy on the right) He eventually took over our second store and I was made parts manager. He got me interested in panheads and I eventually bought one. (see gallery) We're still in touch to this day even though he's in Seattle and I'm now in Pittsburgh.

I had a background in mechanics and his attitude was "if you ain't a decent mechanic, you'll never be a decent parts man". Truer words were never spoken. I'm 40. I'm not a corporate climber. I'm a parts guy. A Harley parts guy. Period. I'm proud of the number of customers who'll stand in a line to talk to me even though 1 or 2 other registers are open. Damn it! I'm not a cashier! I love the life, I live the life and when ANYONE wants to know something that I don't know, I GO FIND OUT! Ok, deep breath.... The problem with most parts guys is that they're kids who don't even ride. Shops don't pay much so you end up with people who want jobs, not careers. Yes, I'll admit that a career making 32K ain't yuppie, but, oh well. That's me.

Look around. Your area will have a good parts department. There's always the forums!!