PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's questions...Night Train?

04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I'm new to riding bikes. I'm planning on purchasing the Night Train.
I just love the way it looks and I was wondering if some of you could give me some pointers.
How does it handle in cities, twisties and or on long cruises? (I'm planning on doing it all)
I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam, would I be comfortable with the drag bars and forward foot pegs on the Night Train?
Also, I know it's a cruiser but how fast does it ride without too much vibration? 0-60?
My other options are Fatboy and VROD. How would you compare with these bikes?
Oh, I will be taking the rider's course before I actually ride.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

wreckerman
04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
welcome to the hcg , it is hard to pick a bike for you all 3 that you mentioned are good bikes , the v rod does get the worse gas milage, about 30 mpg on the road and the duice is the closeiest thing that harley makes to a coustom bike , normealy i would say go rent them first and see what you like best , but you need to compleat your msf corse first so you have your indorcement

Dr.Bob
04-23-2005, 04:59 PM
As for handling, I can tell you that my Fatboy (which is not too different from the NT) handles well in traffic, UK twisty roads and cruising. People will tell you that a softail is too heavy and big to throw around or to get through tight spots. That is rubbish. I hold my own with any other bike through the traffic. It is more about the way you ride than the bike you are on.
I will say that I wish I could corner at more steep angles. That will be solved when I figure out a way to adapt my footboards. Even so, I can still corner really well. As a newbie to bikes, this should not bother you too much for a while anyway.
The night train engine is balanced like the Fatboy innit? If so, forget about vibration.

rush2112
04-23-2005, 10:01 PM
i got an 04 night train new 0n 12-31-04. got 1200 miles on it now. my first harley. rode 3 differant ninjas through out the 80s.gave it up with the first kid, kids older so i got the harley. off the line n through traffic the night train is just fine. top end she just doesnt wanna go better than 80, but now to me thats fine. im sure a six speed tranny or engine workwould get me up there and then some, but just dont need that anymore. im 6' 200 and i really fit well n love the drag bar ride

fnzen
04-25-2005, 09:19 PM
matter of preference and what "look" you like, nighttrain and fatboy are the smame frame (softail) and engine

fyi with a 30 inseam you will be stretched out on the forward pegs , the only other concern you might consider is the drag bar can cause your back to strain (my neighbor only complaint @ his 'train) but if you are in hawaii you wont be riding for great distances without stopping so should not be a concern

utah883C
04-25-2005, 09:46 PM
I agree with the advice already given, I would just add that you can always change the risers and/or handlebars if the drag bars do not fit you. I am 6'1'' and do not have any problems with my Night Train, but I could see where it would be a reach for anyone shorter. There is a pullback riser set that is just like the ones on the Deuce that would brings the controls closer to you

buckanddot
04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
i got an 04 night train new 0n 12-31-04. got 1200 miles on it now. my first harley. rode 3 differant ninjas through out the 80s.gave it up with the first kid, kids older so i got the harley. off the line n through traffic the night train is just fine. top end she just doesnt wanna go better than 80, but now to me thats fine. im sure a six speed tranny or engine workwould get me up there and then some, but just dont need that anymore. im 6' 200 and i really fit well n love the drag bar ride

Hard to believe you can't get more than 80 out of your nightrain bro.....I can do better than that in 4th on my Dyna! Have you told your dealer this? Both the Dyna and my Road King love to cruise at 80....thats only about 32-3400 rpm.

rush2112
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
oh i can do better than 80 but i can tell she s strainin a bit. when i get a few nore oil changes in it i ll open it up a little more. but remember. speed kills.

harleyearl
04-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Hard to believe you can't get more than 80 out of your nightrain bro.....I can do better than that in 4th on my Dyna! Have you told your dealer this? Both the Dyna and my Road King love to cruise at 80....thats only about 32-3400 rpm.

Have to agree buckanddot I can ride my Wide Glide all afternoon at 80-85 with no problem purrs right along. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs. freakin

04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Wow, thanks for all the pointers. It's helping me to narrow down my choices but I still haven't made my decision yet. I'm going to try to sit on them and see how it feels too.
I have another question. How much does it cost to maintain one of these bikes in average per month?
Thanks again.

buckanddot
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Newbie....with or without a crome addiction? ;)

whodatt
04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
oh i can do better than 80 but i can tell she s strainin a bit. when i get a few nore oil changes in it i ll open it up a little more. but remember. speed kills.

Nah... Speed never killed anyone. It's that sudden stopage that'll f*^k you up! :o ;) :P :D :lol:

gunny54
04-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Started to get the NT then rode one. I am the same size as you and the forward controls were a stretch and overall riding position sucked after 30 minutes. Didn't like the counter-balanced motor either. Went with the Lowrider. Chrome rules.

LynchMob91FXR
04-30-2005, 09:19 AM
The most time consuming maintenance I do I my bike is cleaning it. Just changing your oils when needed. These engines go for a long time if you don't tromp the schit out of it all the time. crapper

otis
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
I have a '99 fatboy that I removed the floorboards, put forward controls on and put drag bars on it as well. The drag bars 9'' tall and I think that there is plenty of reach without straining your back. Then of course I also put a 6 gal fatbob on it to fill in the 'gaps' between the bars and tank. Anyways, the costs all depend on how much you keep your sled in good running condition. If you want to keep it running good I'd advise you to take it to the dealership everytime it requires servicing. :blink2: Of course that will put a pretty good dent in yor wallet everytime - BUT- it's worth it. I can't remember any independent shos that worked on Harleys there when I was stationed there (of course that was 6 years ago), and they may run cheaper. That also goes with the territory of dealer warranties and all. Just shop around and do research on the indy shops there on the island. Who knows, if you may not be able to afford the servicing, you might want to go to an independent shop. I know I may have not answered your question completely, :wacko: but this might give you a general idea.

Relic
05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
My Night Train now has 113 HP with 125 ft lbs torque. Lat week I buried the needle on the speedo, however, the Train is NOT something to be riding at those speeds. So, I like to screw with Jap riders off the line. It really screws with their heads when I leave 'em sitting at the light. I haven't timed it yet but I think it'll do 0 to 100 mph in 5 to 6 seconds. Man, I love that thing. B)