PDA

View Full Version : So, this is weird, or is it?

Slice
04-25-2005, 12:39 AM
2 weeks ago I racked a Pilsner from primary to secondary. It did nothing but sit for 12 days.

On the 13th day I walk downstairs and it's bubbling happily away and looks to have re-started fermentation. It has active "foam" on top now.

I'm no expert, but it really looks like fermentation to me.

Is it wierd for fermentation to re-fire like this.

I'm kinda scrathing my head, but I figure I'll let it go until it calms down again and then check it out.

Thoughts?

Tony
04-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Not uncommon at all. This is a great example of having patience for sure. Ive been told that leaving the secondary alone for a month sometimes is a good thing, as secondary fermentation can start back up a couple weeks after you rack it.

Cool!!!

Slice
04-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Not uncommon at all. This is a great example of having patience for sure. Ive been told that leaving the secondary alone for a month sometimes is a good thing, as secondary fermentation can start back up a couple weeks after you rack it.

Cool!!!

Being a rookie, it's the first I've heard of it.

I'm surprised it would be this active.

Thanks Tony.

Tony
04-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Being a rookie, it's the first I've heard of it...

Sometimes just moving the secondary can cause it to happen as well. Even vibrations on the floor and stuff. Believe me, I asked a heck of a lot of people about stuff like this, so Im just passing theoir knowledge on really :D

HeadDoc
04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
not unusual. with lagers when you rack to secondary it is possible for the beer to warm up a little bit, that can jump start a fermentation again. many times i'll take a lager back up to 65 degrees after the primary fermentation for a couple of days just for that reason. then put in secondary and bring back down to lagering temp again and leave it for a month!

um um good! B)

gliderider94
04-25-2005, 10:09 PM
O.K. Tony's the man here, but I'll throw in a few things...

1). No, it's not all that unusuall. I've had it happen several times. I once toured a belgian brewery near Brussels (local mom & pop venture, can't remember the name - cause I got drunk) but they told tales of a yeast that ferments, goes dormant do to the rise in alcohol level, morphs into a strain that is a little more tolerant and then comes back to life to finish the job. They said it was used in higher alcohol Belgian Triples. I asked the name and if it was available commercially, but if you want to piss off a Belgian brewmaster, ask him about a trade secret. Probably nothing to do with your yeast, but I thought it was a cool story.

2). There is a chance that after sitting dormant for a few weeks that a rouge bacterial strain has taken over and your brew has turned to cat piss.

3). Ignor #2. It's been my experience that worrying about your brew will deffinately have an adverse effect. Beside's what's that old saying from the old Papazian book, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew".

Click your heels together three times and chant "There's no brew like homebrew. There's no brew like homebrew. There's no brew like homebrew." Then, drink a few brews, go on about your business and forget about it. I'm sure it will be fine. Besides, there's not much you can do about it. But, like I said in #3, worrying will deffinately mess it up.
drunks

Tony
04-25-2005, 11:24 PM
1). No, it's not all that unusuall. I've had it happen several times. I once toured a belgian brewery near Brussels (local mom & pop venture, can't remember the name - cause I got drunk) but they told tales of a yeast that ferments, goes dormant do to the rise in alcohol level, morphs into a strain that is a little more tolerant and then comes back to life to finish the job. They said it was used in higher alcohol Belgian Triples.

Excellent Info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way....I LOVE Belgian Tripels and Dubbels!!! Thats some great ale for sure!!!!

Slice
04-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I just checked it again.

I'm getting one burp every ten seconds or so now. That's a bit slower than Sunday. It has a pale tan colored "foam" or mass of bubbles on the top that is not quite 1/4 in. thick.

I got to thinking about this. The one thing that did change was a temporary raise in temp. It had been sitting at 68 deg. since racking it over. The house got warm one day last week when the temps outside got unseasonably warm and I didn't have the AC on in the house. It spiked to 74 for one afternoon until I could get the AC going. I also moved it to a cooler spot. Maybe that combination sparked another fermentation. I don't see any hideous looking shit growing in there so that's prolly a good thing.

Or, it's cat piss! LOL

Like was said...if it's cat piss I can't do anything about it so I'll wait it out and then check it when it calms down.

Thanks for the feedback guys. mucho appreciated!

Tony
04-26-2005, 01:38 AM
If you've got 1/4" of bubbles going on, let it go on fermenting for sure!

Take the little lid off the bubbler if you want and take a wiff. If its cat piss...you will be able to smell it.

Slice
04-26-2005, 02:16 AM
If you've got 1/4" of bubbles going on, let it go on fermenting for sure!

Take the little lid off the bubbler if you want and take a wiff. If its cat piss...you will be able to smell it.

That was a good idea. I popped the top of the airlock and took a good whiff of one the bubbles.

It smells...........SWEET!

So, I had to do it again! Great aroma.

Fermentation for sure!

I am going to be very interested in tasting this one for sure.

Tony
04-26-2005, 03:25 AM
That was a good idea. I popped the top of the airlock and took a good whiff of one the bubbles.

It smells...........SWEET!

So, I had to do it again! Great aroma.

Fermentation for sure!

I am going to be very interested in tasting this one for sure.

WELL ALLLLLRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man, looks like you got a winner goin on there!