PDA

View Full Version : Ultra and remove trunk or Road King?

justdave
08-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, first post. Been riding metrics and finally decided to get me a Hog. I've been looking at the Electra Glide Ultra and the Road King Classic. My question is this. I can buy an '04 Ultra for the same right now as I can a '05 Road King Classic. If I put a quick disconnect trunk kit on the Ultra and relocate the speedo into the tank along with the master power and just take the fairing on and off when I want to do long trips I basically have two bikes right. Am I missing something in this or is this as simple as I think. I really like the short ride bar hoping classic simple look of the Road King but I've ridden to California and back from atlanta on a damn chopper and definitely like the upper and lower fairing of the ultra. Any help or ideas would be great.

Wide
08-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi Justdave

Welcome to the forums

The RK & Ultra are two diff machines, the ultra fairing is not something you want to be taking on & off, it takes a lot of time.

Maybe some RK & Ultra owners can better chime in on this.

Again welcome to the forums 1beer

wreckerman
08-30-2004, 10:58 PM
i have the road king and i run a batwing fairing and tour truck on long trips with the docking hardware it takes less then 5 minutes to change it out. Now on the ultra the trucnk is not on quick mounts which is no biggy but you will need tools to remove, and will take about 10 minutes. As for the fairing if you look you will see it's in 2 pieces your clutch and throttle cables are routed though the inner piece not to mentio all your gages and radio if so equipt I would guessamate 2 hours for taking off or putting on. It's your choice also there would be quite a bit of expense in changing your odometer setup. I am in the process now of trying to set up a new style fairing with quick releases for my RK it will be a month or so before I have it all figured out at that time I could probally give you a much better answer.

Wide
08-30-2004, 11:04 PM
I hope your taking pictures of your new setup for a article :)

wreckerman
08-30-2004, 11:10 PM
maybe if i can find a camera , you know how shy i am :lol:

Wide
08-30-2004, 11:15 PM
ROFLMAO :lol: :wacko:

buck
08-31-2004, 02:38 AM
I just bought an 05 RK classic. What an awsome machine. I cant believe how well its balanced and how well it rides. Cant imagine having anything else. Good luck

BigDog
08-31-2004, 04:02 AM
In my opinion, It would be much easier to buy a RK and add a detachable batwing fairing, a set of lower legs and a detachable tourpac rather than the other way around. I do this for a living and it is agravating to me. There are a boat load of wires in that inner fairing, not to mention braces etc. You would have to take your head light nacelle on and off. I suggest a '70's to early '80's fairing it will clear your RK nacelle

vinceseg
08-31-2004, 08:05 PM
A couple of my friends have the ultras and just remove the fairing and tourpak for almost the whole season. Also they have a smaller shield. Pretty nice setup and you get the radio/cd then, and you can put the fairing on as need be.

justdave
08-31-2004, 11:38 PM
My thinking is on the ultra is that I have a hot rod for me to ride and I want something that my wife will enjoy long trips on. The Ultra already has the very comfortable seat and back rest built into the trunk. The RK I would need to buy a more comfortable dual tourer and buy a back rest plus buy a trunk for long trips. Even though it's a pain in the ass, I still think I'm leaning towards the Ultra. The RK classic is a beauty though. Damn, why did Harley have to come up with so many choices?

wreckerman
08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
justdave, you are absolutly right it's your choice we were just trying to point out a few things to you that you might not have thought of yourself, but it's your money and your ride, and either bike would be a good choice.

justdave
09-01-2004, 12:33 AM
I appreciate all the input guys. I'm just trying to figure out why I can buy a brand spanking new 0 miles Electra Glide Ultra (not classic) for only 500.00 more than the FLHRI. Doesn't make any sense with all of the extras that the ultra has and just to be able to take the parts off of the Ultra and have the same bike with additional parts. Maybe the dealer is just trying to push Ultras or something.

wreckerman
09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
does the ultra have efi that is a 600.00 option also the rk has taken the lead in harley big bike sales so it is a hot idem for the dealer and finealy dont foreget it will cost you some cash to change the ulta to a rk even if you do end up with extra parts

suey
09-01-2004, 11:21 PM
there are a few dealers here in pheonix that are doin the same thing with the prices you mention. A couple reasons are, the ultra isnt moving as quick as they want, and the road king is sellin so fast they cant keep em on the showroom floor. So in order to get rid of the 04 ultra, they are takin a little hit on the sale. this way they can put an 05 ultra on the floor, and hope it sells before 06 come out.

suey

thorsblood
09-03-2004, 04:09 AM
Good point Suey, and by the way, Welcome back dude. :D

wreckerman
09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
suey ya a big welcome back, i knew you would find us B)