PDA

View Full Version : Holy freakin blow off batman..............

Rusty
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Let me tell ya, I'm so freakin worn out. I got up on saturday morning and cooked the whole family breakfast. Then the wife, I and one daughter went to the Bike shop and looked at my new springer. Thats when I found out my bars are not in yet. I was pissed. I told them that I brought that damn list into them the middle of febuary and they should have had everything there. They just looked at me like I'm stuped. I hate stealerships. But that is a different story. Came home and stained my back deck. Then I got all my stuff together and cooked beer outside in the front of the garage. I drank beer and cooked beer. And had no less than 10 different neighbors at my house muching beer and shooting the shit. Anyway I got the yeast pitched about 6:30 PM. At midnight when I went to bed, the ferminter was starting to bubble. At 6:00 AM yesterday morning I woke up and decieded to check on it. I had VERY active fermintation with a little blow off. So I went and took a shower and them moved the ferminter out of the closet and into the middle of the kitchen. Let me tell ya, I had VERY VIOLENT fermintation and blow off all day and all night last night. For 18 hours I had to continously clean the blow off tube and unclog the damn thing. I mean every 15 min's I was dicken with this damn thing. At one time, I cleaned out the blow off tube and went and sat down only to look up and notice that it was already clogged again. So I got up and pulled the tube from the bucket, only to have it blow up in my face. What a freaken mess. Finally I cleaned it all one last time and sat it out into the garage, and put a trash bag over it. Thinking that if it blows the top off the bucket that the trash bag will keep it from getting all over everything. I woke up this morning and the lid had blown off and the side of the bucket at the top was split. I didn't loose much beer, but what a fuckin mess. I was lucky the trash bag contained most of it.

Tony
05-02-2005, 02:10 PM
What the HELL did you brew? It must have been all fermentables and no adjuncts. And what yeast did you use?

Rusty
05-02-2005, 02:13 PM
What the HELL did you brew? It must have been all fermentables and no adjuncts. And what yeast did you use?

I try not to use any adjuncts in my beer. Just malt and hops. It was my Arrogant Bastard clone. Except I added one more pound of light DME and played with the hops a little. I would never have thought that just one more pound of DME would make that much of a difference. And to think I actually thought of add two more pounds.............

Rusty
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Here is the recipe that I used.

Type: Extract
Date: 4/15/2005
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Rusty
Boil Size: 3.25 gal Asst Brewer: Scooter
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 37.6 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 20.0 %
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10.0 %
6.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 60.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (90 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Tulsa, Oklahoma Water
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: %
Bitterness: 58.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 18.0 SRM

Tony
05-02-2005, 02:22 PM
...I added one more pound of light DME and played with the hops a little. I would never have thought that just one more pound of DME would make that much of a difference. And to think I actually thought of add two more pounds.............

Oh yeah, even more to ferment :D

I need to try this one.

I just noticed it is a full extract recipe, so like you said....all fermentables :D

Rusty
05-02-2005, 02:26 PM
...I added one more pound of light DME and played with the hops a little. I would never have thought that just one more pound of DME would make that much of a difference. And to think I actually thought of add two more pounds.............

Oh yeah, even more to ferment :D

I need to try this one.

I just noticed it is a full extract recipe, so like you said....all fermentables :D

This was truly a pain in the ass to baby sit the damn thing all day. I was stuck and couldn't do shit except to watch this damn ferminter. Looking back I would have been better off by doing the primary in a 7 gal. carboy with a full 1" blow off tube.

Tony
05-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Cheers Rusty!!!!
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/images/intro.gif