PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 and California emissions

HawkDriver
05-03-2005, 03:28 AM
I bought my RK Custom in TN with no California emissions and I was wondering if I put the stage 1 on if I will be able to pass an emissions test.

Don't worry I will get 7500 miles on it before I take it to the DMV.

Thanks for the help!

HawkDriver
05-03-2005, 04:00 AM
As an fyi--I fly for the Navy and will be moving back to San Diego next year.

Wide
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi HawkDriver

No it will not pass an emission test, sorry

I dont believe we have emission tests yet but they do look at the bike when you bring it back to CA to register, if you have some funjy stuff on it they may give you a hassle or not

Wish I had a better answer :D

HawkDriver
05-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Wide--am I to understand you don't have to get an emissions test, like you do for cars? If that is correct, I would think I could do the stage one as long as it looks stock?

I have such a love/hate feeling with California!

Thanks!

Mungo
05-05-2005, 02:29 AM
One potential loophole. Since you're military, can't you make your "home" Tennessee? That may make you exempt from emissions testing, and you can keep a state without income tax as your home state. Win/win?

HawkDriver
05-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Keeping TN plates would be a yearly hassle but I want the stage one bad, so I may just do it and worry about the other stuff later!

Wide
05-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Wide--am I to understand you don't have to get an emissions test, like you do for cars? If that is correct, I would think I could do the stage one as long as it looks stock?

Thanks!

We have NO INSPECTION AT ALL for motorcycles

If it looks stock when you go to get the CA title your cool, not apes or strait pipes :D

Mungo
05-06-2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks!

We have NO INSPECTION AT ALL for motorcycles

If it looks stock when you go to get the CA title your cool, not apes or strait pipes :D

What??? The strictest state in the union has no inspection for MCs? What about all this EPA stuff I keep reading about?

You're lucky - I swear I keep forgetting about my state inspection each year.

wreckerman
05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
i might be wrong on this , but i have hurd that when you regester a veical form aother state in california they hit you with a large bill for emmishions or something to that effect am i right or wrong here

TexasFatBoy
05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
i might be wrong on this , but i have hurd that when you regester a veical form aother state in california they hit you with a large bill for emmishions or something to that effect am i right or wrong here

They did it for awhile until the court's ruled it an illegal tax and then they had to refund that money back to folks that had paid it! Yee haw! :lol:

wreckerman
05-06-2005, 10:42 PM
tfb, thank you for that answer

TexasFatBoy
05-06-2005, 10:48 PM
My pleasure - my wife and I had moved to CA in '99 for law school and had to pay, I believe, $300/vehicle on that nonsense. About a year later, the courts invalidated it and the state had to send back our money! woot

HawkDriver
05-07-2005, 03:46 AM
This is great news--than you for all the great replies!

akacarl
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm resurrecting this topic to ask some questions about California emissions control.

I live in NorCal and just bought an '05 Ultra with the California emissions catalyst already on it. Where is the catalyst? Is it in the muffler?

If I change my exhaust system to Rinehart True Duals, will I be violating the emissions law? And even though my bike's exhaust system might technically be illegal, will anyone care? I mean, should I worry about the muffler police? There doesn't appear to be a smog check for motorcycles.

Akacarl

arthureld
08-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I doubt if True Duals are smog legal. There aren't smog checks for motorcycles in CA. If they start checking, you can get around it just like with a car. You just have to find a smog check guy that wants to make an extra $100. In CA that is easy.

05FLHTCUI
08-11-2005, 04:30 AM
I wondered the same about my 05 Ultra. I noticed when I pulled them off, the right one muffler was different from the left and was marked something about a catalitic converter or similar. And looking up them from the discharge end, there is a noticeable difference between them. This may not be correct, just what I've put together in my head to help me understand the exhaust system.