PDA

View Full Version : Giant Soft Pretzels

Rusty
05-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Surely you have gone to the mall and bought one of those delicious giant soft pretzels. I'm personally a pretzel nut! Soft pretzels are amazingly easy to make, and great for you. They have virtually no fat, and are best hot out of the oven with a little mustard. They also go great with homemade beer. The following recipe makes a dozen large soft pretzels.

Ingredients
1 packet active dry bread yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
5 teaspoons baking soda (for glazing)
Coarse salt (if desired)

Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup warm water and packet of yeast.
Mix in 1-1/2 cups of flower, the 2 tblsp margarine, 1/2 tsp salt and tblsp sugar. Beat the entire mixture for 3 minutes to mix well.
Slowly mix in the remaining 1-1/4 cups of flour, and knead dough until all of the flour is mixed in and dough loses its stickiness.
Set aside in bowl, and let it rise until dough reaches approximately double its original size.
Divide dough into twelve approximately equal pieces. Using your palms, roll each piece into 18" lengths about pencil thickness. Loop and twist the lengths into pretzel shapes and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again until they approximately double in girth.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees, and ready a boiling solution of 4 cups of water, and the 5 tsp of baking soda in a shallow non-aluminum (note - aluminum may react with baking soda).
With a plastic spatula, carefully lift each pretzel from the sheet and lower it into the boiling baking soda solution for 15-20 seconds. This will glaze the pretzels once you bake them.
Sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt (if desired, they're great without salt as well), and bake approximately 7-10 minutes until browned. Serve warm, topped with mustard or cheese, and a pint of your favorite beer.

TexasFatBoy
05-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna have to try this one - love those damn things! Especially with some melted cheese and, of course, a cold beer. Got spoiled with 'em in Munich - some of the best I ever had! Yum Yum!

Thanks, Rusty! 1beer

03FLHTCI
05-04-2005, 07:01 PM
I plan on making some this weekend. I love em.

Wide
05-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Yep gonna make these foir sure!!!!!

My wife loves pretzels boobs

dynaRide
05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
thankx man I just e-mail'd my wife Lucky1 on that. Cool.

Tony
05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Dont forget the mustard!!!!

juicy
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Mmmmmmm those sound excellent, any extra can be sent my way :lol: :lol: I will have to try this very soon....Thanks for sharing

Rusty
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM

Mustard with a little tabasco mixed in.............. B)

Tony
05-04-2005, 08:23 PM

Oooooooo never tried that!!!! Even though Ive put hot sauce on just about everthing...

Thanks man!!!

gliderider94
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey Rusty, great recipe, I make those all the time. If you like those pretzels with homebrew, back off a little on the flour and throw in a handfull of spent grain from your last brew session. Makes the pretzels a little chewier but makes them smell and taste like beer. I also use the spent grain to make pizza dough and I also make dog biscuits out of it.

Tony
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey Rusty, great recipe, I make those all the time. If you like those pretzels with homebrew, back off a little on the flour and throw in a handfull of spent grain from your last brew session. Makes the pretzels a little chewier but makes them smell and taste like beer. I also use the spent grain to make pizza dough and I also make dog biscuits out of it.

Okay, you are gonna have to explain the pizza dough thing in depth a bit!

LostLake
05-05-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm gonna have to try this one - love those damn things! Especially with some melted cheese and, of course, a cold beer. Got spoiled with 'em in Munich - some of the best I ever had! Yum Yum!

Thanks, Rusty! 1beer

oh.... Oh..... OH!!!!!! I loved the pretzels at Hauf Brau Haus in Munich too!!!!

OH MY GOD! I have to try this Rusty... Thanks.. I'm going for it, I'll let you guys know how they turn out!

TexasFatBoy
05-05-2005, 12:16 AM
oh.... Oh..... OH!!!!!! I loved the pretzels at Hauf Brau Haus in Munich too!!!!

They were even better in some of the smaller neighborhood biergartens.

Slice
05-05-2005, 01:21 AM

Mustard with some horseradish mixed in...

Yummmmmm...

Thanks for posting this Rusty.

Tony
05-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Beer & Giant Soft Pretzels are now officially sanctioned by the vatican:
http://www.wort.org/Image_Archive/BenediktXVI.jpg

LostLake
05-05-2005, 05:24 AM

They were even better in some of the smaller neighborhood biergartens.

Maybe, but how could I leave the music, dancing, women and comaraderie at the HBH?? woot

LostLake
05-05-2005, 05:28 AM
I made a batch of the pretzels tonight! Awesome!! Especially with a home brew!

I made 9 pretzels out of a batch, and ate 5 of them :wub:

I didn't have any horseradish, but I had several other good mustards and those hot salty pretzels were chewy and thick and just screamed for a beer! And I obliged!!

Man they are so easy to make... I'm making them whenever some of my drinking buds come over, just for the wow factor... B)

Rusty
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm glad I could help contribute the your addiction................

wreckerman
05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
slice was nice enought to give me a other jug of beer , so i think i need to make some pretzels to have with it

03FLHTCI
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I made some of these yesterday. I am not that great of a cook but I tried anyway. I forgot to put in the sugar but managed to remember everything else. I think I could have patched a tire with that dough. They came out to be blobs roughly shaped like a pretzel but were good to eat anyway. I will try it again next weekend. Maybe get someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

Hotshotrucking
05-22-2005, 04:24 PM
B) I really love those soft pretzels with a cold beer and mustard, but after veiwing your favorite site I'm craveing "HONNEY BUNZ"

Horse
05-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Got to try this. Their is something about the aroma of cooking Giant Soft Pretzels
that add to the experience.