PDA

View Full Version : 4-speed ratchet top question

Edge
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm trying to disassemble my tranny, and I cant figure out how to get the top off! Now, when everyone get done laughing, and rolling on the floor, maybe someone could tip me off on how to do it?
The tranny is out of the bike. I've pulled the vertical screws, but nothing comes off. Where is the magic button I need to push?
Thanx, Edge

johnnyb57
05-06-2005, 02:44 PM
you forgot to mention what type of bike and the year..

88FLHTC
05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
It sits on a couple of dowel pins if I remember right...sometimes it gets seized on over a period of time...

Plastic mallet oughta help you out !! drunks

rwpatton
05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
88 nailed it, top sits on dowel pins some gentle tapping should loosen it up.

RW

Nico
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
yep, mine acted like it was glued on almost. I malleted it and it came free.

be sure to keep track of the dowels, one of mine popped out and took me forever to find that little thing. There are also little spacer cap things on the shift forks in there that can easily come off and get lost.

Edge
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
The rubber mallet wins again!! Thanx to all who replied. I had to hit pretty hard, and from all sides before it ended up coming free. I would have thought FOR SURE that there was a pin or something through the ratchet to hold the top on.
Mucho gratias, friends!
Edge

wreckerman
05-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Edge, don't know what you are doing to your tranny, but make sure you borrow a jig from a local bike shop for setting up that ratchet top before you throw it back together. I have seen to many guys try to eyeball it only to have problems shifting or worst yet, cracking the ratchet top. There is a tool for aligning that top and most Harley shops will have it. Don't buy it too expensive rent it or have someone do the alignment for you.

Nico
05-10-2005, 02:14 AM
heh, wreckerman, I was un-aware of this device... I apparently got lucky with my eyeballing. Seemed to me only to go on there one way, shifts fine, well just like it did before I took it apart again. (the ever fun 1-2 shift...blah)

Edge
05-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Wrecker,
Just taking a peek while it is out of the bike. I pulled it from the 76FX to put into a chop I'm building.
I too didnt know anything about a needed jig for the tranny!! I just figured that if I got the shifter forks into the grooved shifter mechanism, I'd be good to go. What needs to be aligned with what?
Thanx much for the tip!
Edge

wreckerman
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
what the jeg does is it bolts wear the rachet top would be then it centers on the barrels they can be adjust a little and the jeg lines every thing up perfect it has been a lot of years sence i had a 4 speed but i do remember a old 4 speed i had that i did not use the jeg on and i ended up cracking the rachet top within 50 miles and they are expensive , so ever sence then if i have to do one i borrow the jeg from a buddy , but to be truefull i have seen them put togeather by eye and work fine , i thing it makes more of a differnce if you change out parts and then go to put it back togeather , i just wanted to warn you not scare you