PDA

View Full Version : warranty

scratch
05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I've never owned a new vehicle in my life until I got my Sporty last August. So the other day the drivebelt snapped! I have one dealer telling me it should be covered under warranty and one telling me it won't be. WTF? Bike has 7500 easy miles on it. I know I probably should be calling HD Customer Service about this but I wanted to hear from some "innocent bystanders" first. Any advice, opinions, etc. welcomed.

Horse
05-31-2005, 04:25 PM
I have not read a HD warranty so I am out of my depth here,but
on a bike less than a year old, with only 7500 miles I would expect
it to be under warranty. These drive belts should last (what) 50K +
under normal use.

I would work with the dealer who told you it should be covered.

dynaRide
05-31-2005, 04:31 PM
I would work with the dealer who told you it should be covered.

that would be my 1st move. Sorry bout the trouble ur having...

wreckerman
05-31-2005, 11:04 PM
this is a soar subject with me . 'not your fault" when my 95 rk was still new less then 3000 miles i kept takeing it back to the dealer complaning about a chirp noise and that it was hard to get into nutreal , will it was in 5 times for this problem nothing got fixed , and they said nothing was wrong 50 miles after the last vist the edges on the belt wear all fryed , took it back and they would not warrenty it , and in fact listed in the computor as my neglet so no other dealer would fix it eather . finealy a friend of mine at a differnt dealer ran it through and listed it as a repair from a other bike that was in for service new belt and pulleys no charge it ended up that the motor and trans were not alined correctly so when they got it all back togeather no chirping and slid into nutreal like a dream .. bottom line if a dealer is willing to warrenty it thenm do so and fast before they change there minds

scratch
06-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys. Wreckerman, if they had tried to say it was my "neglect" I'd have started throwing stuff!!

Yeah Horse, I had one service manager tell me that 7500 miles is a lot!! OK, I know there are a lot of RUBs and such like out there that put on 250 miles in a year but come on. Plus it's a totally stock bike, so they can't try to lay it on me. I had one service mgr say "it should be covered" which sounds like I'd get an expensive surprise bill after the work was done :wacko: But I got some good news from Fritz's Stamford H-D who actually called HD cust. service for me to get it pre-authorized. Hopefully they'll have me back on the road in a few days :)

06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. Wreckerman, if they had tried to say it was my "neglect" I'd have started throwing stuff!
Drive belts are a gray area -- not unlike a clutch. The drive belt is technically a "wear" item -- requiring replacement in time.

If it appears there was a defect in the belt, they'll probably replace it under warranty.

If it looks like you picked up a small stone and broke the belt and mauled a pulley -- you are probably going to have to replace it out-of-pocket.

If they claim the belt "was not properly" broken-in -- causing premature failure -- you're back in the gray area.

GOOD LUCK!

scratch
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I get what you're saying FLH_Ebay, but I'll be damned if they're gonna tell me 7500 miles is a wear and tear issue...

Horse
06-01-2005, 08:06 PM
OK scratch sounds like you have made positive progress. Now their is going
to be a reason the belt failed, and yes it could be road hazard (a stone etc.),
and the dealer is likely to make a determination when the get their hands on the bike
and the old belt.

I thing your in good, considering that you got some good news from Fritz's Stamford H-D,
who actually called HD cust. service for me to get it pre-authorized. Want to hear how things
turn out.

scratch
06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Horse, one reason I didn't want to go to a certain dealer was he told me NOT to bring the old belt in for the service guy to look at. I'm no gearhead but even I thought to look at the wear on the old belt when it came off....and I'll be damn surprised if the dealer I take it to says it caught a rock, b/c the break is perfectly straight and perpendicular.

Stay tuned...

Horse
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Horse, one reason I didn't want to go to a certain dealer was he told me NOT to bring the old belt in for the service guy to look at. I'm no gearhead but even I thought to look at the wear on the old belt when it came off....and I'll be damn surprised if the dealer I take it to says it caught a rock, b/c the break is perfectly straight and perpendicular.

Stay tuned...

Got it. This gut is working with you,, good to hear.

scratch
06-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Super big shout out to Fritz's Stamford H-D for replacing my drivebelt under warranty and in less than 24 hours! B) I didn't even ask them to rush it, they just did the job and I get to pick it up tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Horse
06-03-2005, 09:33 PM
All's well that ends well woot

Orangerod
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
You found yourself a good dealer there scratch.

It has been my opinion that the HD warranty serves well as toilet paper if your in a bind, or perhaps kindling for your fireplace.

Everything is at the dealer's descretion, and they are usually backed up with work from customers paying to have simple mods done that they should probably be doing themselves. (these would be the RUBs you were refering to). They can find any number of reasons not to cover you.

My suggestion is to purchase a service manual, get some tools, and start learning your bike. You'll find it's not that hard and pretty damn rewarding.

scratch
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Orangerod, yeah, I know, I know...but I'm not mechanically skilled and I'm impatient with the learning curve. The way I see it, I could fcuk around with my manual and the bike in the garage all weekend, driving myself insane, or I could drop the bike off at the shop and let them do it in 3 hours while I'm stuck here at work. That way I can ride it all weekend!!