PDA

View Full Version : Who's brewing what?.........

Rusty
06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Anyone brewing anything, anytime soon? Oklahoma is just too hot to brew without a fridge to fermint in.........So I'm pretty much done till October.

I have a clone of Arrogant Bastard on tap that I'm sipping on right now and a keg of my Light that I'll sip on this summer. Other than that I'm pretty much screwed on homebrew for the summer.

Slice
06-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm not brewing anything right now either.
I have a Pilsner and an Amber Ale that I am drinking, and your Scottish Ale sitting in Secondary. It's been there a month now and I need to rack it to bottles soon.

On another note, I used some of the Amber Ale when I grilled a beer can chicken this weekend.

Cooked it on the webber kettle using Cowboy Charcoal and mesquite.

What a difference. The Amber Ale added a great flavor. Give it a try one day.

Rusty
06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Give it a try one day.

I'll do that.............sounds damn good. :)

D.N.F.
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
I have two batches of wine on the go. A Soave and a Cab-Merlot.

Been thinking of doing beer for a while but have heard so many negatives from people who have done it. The cleanliness thing worries me. Wine is so easy and as long as things are clean you are ok. People tell me that beer stuff has to be 'lab clean'. That sounds like a lot of extra work. I mean how can you be lab clean if you overfill a bottle and have to drink the excess before corking?

Also, I would be three hundred pounds with all that cheap beer on site.

:wacko:

Rusty
06-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I have two batches of wine on the go. A Soave and a Cab-Merlot.

Been thinking of doing beer for a while but have heard so many negatives from people who have done it. The cleanliness thing worries me. Wine is so easy and as long as things are clean you are ok. People tell me that beer stuff has to be 'lab clean'. That sounds like a lot of extra work. I mean how can you be lab clean if you overfill a bottle and have to drink the excess before corking?

Also, I would be three hundred pounds with all that cheap beer on site.

:wacko:

You just have to have sterile equipment. I juse idophor. I used to use bleach before I started kegging. But bleach and Stainless Steel don't mix well. It's not that tough to be clean enough to make beer. Hell, If I can do it, anyone can.

D.N.F.
06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
You just have to have sterile equipment. I juse idophor. I used to use bleach before I started kegging. But bleach and Stainless Steel don't mix well. It's not that tough to be clean enough to make beer. Hell, If I can do it, anyone can.

Is that the pink crystal stuff that you mix with water?

Rusty
06-06-2005, 04:48 PM

Is that the pink crystal stuff that you mix with water?

Nope...........Iodine based............hell, as far as I know, It could be just iodine.

LINK (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=83&idproduct=1137)

D.N.F.
06-06-2005, 05:02 PM
I am going to have to figure out this quote thing one day.

Ok, do you just use some kind of kit? Or can you actually do it with some recipe?

Now, I am sure that I could click on this site and find that information but that would take away the pleasure of picking your brain. I would assume a kit would at least give me all the crap I need to get started? I have been told not to mix wine and beer stuff.

Inquiring minds...

Rusty
06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I am going to have to figure out this quote thing one day.

Ok, do you just use some kind of kit? Or can you actually do it with some recipe?

Now, I am sure that I could click on this site and find that information but that would take away the pleasure of picking your brain. I would assume a kit would at least give me all the crap I need to get started? I have been told not to mix wine and beer stuff.

Inquiring minds...

I mix and match all of my equipment all the time. All you need to make a standard 5 gallon batch of (extract) beer is the following.

1 - 6-gallon fermintation vessle.........bucket or carboy.
1- brewpot....capable of boiling at 3-gallons of wort.
1- racking (siphion) cane with 5-foot of tube.
1- bottle capper (they are cheap)
52 - 12oz bottles and capps.
idophor or bleach for sanatizing
1-Airlock
1-Hydrometer (you can get by with out this. I don't use one much anymore)
1-Liquid Crystal Thermometer

Then after that you can purchase an ingrediant kit for about $25 bucks and in a few weeks have some great beer.

I did away with the bottling and use pepsi kegs and Co2 now........

Tony
06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Well I hadnt brewed anything as the weather was changing, and i couldnt control the temps for fermentation. But now, snce its hot outside, I installed all my window AC units and can use them to keep a room stable.

Im plnning on doing a couple summer lite beers, and a couple tribute beers as well. One you already know, my Pawtucket Patriot, and the other... well I'll give you guys a hint "We ALL Put The Yeast In!" :lol: