PDA

View Full Version : more linux

Jamorris
09-05-2004, 01:14 PM
I am currently running Suse 9.1 Personal on both the desktop and the notebook.

I switched sound cards for a less bleeding edge on the desktop. I had it inhouse, so I swapped. It appears I have everything, but the modem running. Gonna have to narrow that down. I can download in XP and then import into linux, so it won't be too hard.

The notebook fails to configure the modem and I can locate the memstik reader. On the desktop it pops up as soon as the stik is inserted. Not so, the notebook. The Wifi seems to be configured, but I haven't tested it yet .

I have tried Fedora 1, an earlier Knoppix and Suse . So far, Suse is my favorite. I like Yast and the file manager in Suse. What is SELinux? I found it on fedora website, but it is listed as Debian. Redhat seems to be calling it fedora 3 and labeling it debian. Maybe I read that wrong.

Any pointers on the winmodems will be appreciated.

Jerry

Wide
09-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi JA

I will not be much help with the modem, I never used winmodem.
You may find some answers on their site
http://www.linmodems.org/

SeLinux is a security enhanced Linux distro.

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.cfm

Jamorris
09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
For those interested in winmodem issues, on my desktop, Suse showed the modem as configured,. But, it was unfound when trying to dial out. Yast found and configured the modem as ttyS14, but hardware tool showed it as something else. When you configure your PPP connection you will have to change the tty to the proper designation.. Ya gotta pay attention to details, evidently everything is not autopilot. :lol: :lol:

Jerry

Wide
09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Tell me about ;)

Lots of trial & error, thats what makes you good at it.
If everyting went ok then you wouldn't learn too much.

Trust me on this one, I'm the king of blowing computers up, the most valuable lesson I learned is have a BACK UP system in place :D

Jamorris
09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Suse 9.1 Personal is up and running solidly on my desktop. Did the first update overnight , last night. It took and went without problems. At least other than the time it takes to do over a dialup connection. Everything I could think of checking seems to be functional. Once I get the wife used to this OS, the Windows partition is going bye-bye!

The notebook is being problematic. I can't get anything to properly configure the modem and I think the WiFi is not configured properly. So, I have to set up home networking and run the YasT update through the desktop modem. I may have to resort to something like Xandros to get the notebook running linux.

Anyone here have any experience with sonypi?

Jerry