PDA

View Full Version : New Harley advise?

Hammer
09-05-2004, 04:33 PM
I havnt ridden in 10 years but am looking at a harley to purchase, i really like the road king classic but am concerned it will be to much of a bike for my limited expierence. i will eventually be riding with my wife so her comfort is a concern also. your opinions will be appreciated.

Wide
09-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi Hammer

Welcome to the forums.

If you been riding for 10 years I dont think you will have any problem at all wioth any Harley, they have a very low center of gravity, thus very easy to handle.

My best advice to you is rent one for a day & that should get you hooked.

:D

wreckerman
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Hammer, welome to the hcg family, unless you are an extremely small person the rk is a beautiful choice of machines and it offers the biggest choice of flexibility of all the Harley line up it also has one of the highest resales can't see where you would go bad with this purchase. try renting one for yourself

TomF
09-05-2004, 05:14 PM
I had been riding about 10 years and owned a metric bike when I bought my first HD and I had the same concern. Wide's right though -- the CG is very low on Harley's and they're far less top heavy than other bikes. Like anything else, once you get used to it, you'll laugh at yourself for even being concerned about it. Take the plunge and enjoy the ride.

Joker
09-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I am a very short person being only 5'6" and the Road King is a very comfortable ride. I bought a Softail because 1. Thats what the wife wanted and 2. Because if I got in a spot where I had to back it up on an incline I could not do it. But other than that even at my height it was a good ride as long as you didnt have to go backwards uphill.
Joker :unsure:

Coyote
09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
I read that you HAVEN'T been riding for 10 years, right?

I suggest that you look into an MSF class, first off. It can be helpful, even to those that ride often.

RK Classic is a really nice ride. I own one myself. I'm about 6 foot tall and 200 pounds. It IS a large sized scoot but it rides easy. My wife loves it now, but I did have to get a more 'full bottomed' seat for her. I never feel like I have to muscle it around (until I have to back it up a slight grade...careful how you park it!) I suggest what others have. Rent one and see how you like it. If you don't have a permit, go take the exam. If you need a license, take the MSF course. Most DMVs'll take your completion certificate and give you one.

Good luck on your choice.

Hammer
09-06-2004, 12:39 AM
correct, i havnt ridden in ten years and i am taking the msc starting this tuesday. i really like the feel of the road king but after reading info on this board i will also look at the dyna wide glide. just not sure if i can get used to those floorboards.

wreckerman
09-06-2004, 12:44 AM
hammer it will take all of one afternoon to get used to the floorboards

buckanddot
09-06-2004, 01:56 AM
Hammer: Funny thing about RK's is they don't handle near as big as they look, especially at low speeds. They're also a very good two up bike after you replace the seat(the classic is the worst for passengers).As for backin up uphill, that's where Dot comes in. She knows just where to push on the front of both my RK and my Dyna to give the extra umph needed. It's not just RKs that are hard to move backwards, believe me. Thats a lesson most new Harley riders learn quickly! Ride safe when you get er Hammer, if you can see past the big smile on your face :D Buck.

TexasFatBoy
09-06-2004, 02:29 AM
hammer it will take all of one afternoon to get used to the floorboards

And if ya don't like em, do what I did and rip em off and put some forward controls on there! :lol:

The beauty of any harley is that you can treat it like your own personal canvas and make the bike you want.

buck
09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Hammer,I just got an 05 RK classic 2 weeks ago. Its my first street bike. I have had no problems at all getting used to rideing it. Great bike, handles great,runs great, easy to ride.Good luck

WildHair
09-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Ditto on what buck said.....I just got my 05 RK Classic a couple of days ago and it is my first bike period. Very easy to ride...My biggest problem is making sure I don't get too confident too soon.

RKCustom_TX
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
wildhair i totally agree !!

thats one of my fears...once you start riding a new bike and afew months down the road you have afew thousand miles under your belt...you start to build confidence and somewhat loose focus of being "CAREFUL" .........

i find myself losing track and getting aggressive here and there...then it hits me and i find correcting myself,

frobozz
09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
thats one of my fears...once you start riding a new bike and afew months down the road you have afew thousand miles under your belt...you start to build confidence and somewhat loose focus of being "CAREFUL" .........

That's why accident statisitics show an increase in accidents for riders between 2,600 and (around) 20,000 miles. Between 0-2,600 we're scared sh_tless and watch out for everything. Then we get comfortable. After 20K, however, accident rates drop off again. Lots and lots of experience.

I recommend 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough to all new riders (or returning) riders. I am one of them, and read it.... finding it very informative.

Enjoy your new bike, whatever you decide to buy, and remember to ride safe.

Frobozz