PDA

View Full Version : charging system fuxored, but still riding to HCG gathering..

skeezix
06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey guys !

My freakin charging system seems to have left me again, after replacing my rotor, stator and regulator.... all brand new

I did do a couple things:
1) I was power washing my bike and the stator plug came out and I didnt notice it till after teh battery went dead :(. Would this fry my stator or regulator from running not plugged in ??

2) I put oil in my primary case, maybe too much and the oil got on the stator ??

any idears ??
I still want to go to the HCG Canada get together, I have been riding by trickle charging at night and only using my headlight when I feel I have to. I dont want to be "the guy with the broken bike" at the get together. You guys still think I should head out ? I am about 3 hrs from Speedmans place. As long as he has an extension cord I should be good to go. maybe...

Maybe some drunken tech geniuses can try to figure out wtf is happening one nught when we are partying juker . I dont want to have it in a million pieces though,
I am currently working away from home and my local bike shop is 3 hrs away, really sux. I am no wiring guy so I feel like a heel

thx guys, and let me know if "the guy with the broken bike" should try to make the run

still here but not as often.... Skeezix

Wide
06-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Thats sucks Skeez,

I assume you plugged it back in & cleaned the connections?

Cant say for sure about going to Canada, maybe Speedman has a better call. :blink2:

skeezix
06-27-2005, 01:40 AM
I cleaned out the plug hole and plugged er back in, went over the wire that goes to the battery, it looks ok. I have no idea... could be the battery ? Wouldnt the multimeter still read 13 - 14 on a bad battery ??

Skeez

skeezix
06-27-2005, 01:47 AM
I always think the worst, but what if the rotor is stripped again, and its the spline on the end of the mainshaft? Be cheaper to go magneto and a kicker than replace the mainshaft and rebuild the bottom end... sometimes I just want to buy a new bike, but teh shovel keeps dragging me back ...

Skeez

Wide
06-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Put a voltmeter on the battery & see the voltage, start the bike & the voltage should go up like 1/2 volt or so, then your charging system is ok.

If it dont go up then your charging system needs attention.

skeezix
06-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey Wide , thx man

No there is no change at all, i just replaced all this crap last year... cheap regulator ??

skeez

Wide
06-27-2005, 03:44 AM
... cheap regulator ??

skeez

Yeah possibly, see if you can check if the stator is making juice, if thats is then your regulater is the bad boy here.

Lets get you some voltage out of the charging system before we get to the battery :D

BTW are you using a generator or alt, the gen needs to be polorized if you disconnect it

to polarize the genertaor, take a jumper wire and jump the positive terminal on the battery and the "A" (armature) tab on the generator for about 1-2 seconds. if you have a mechanical regulator, this can be done by jumping the "A" and "BAT" terms on the regulator body as well.

if the battery is disconnected from a generator scoot for a period of time or the generator is removed, the windings lose their charge and the magnetic field lessens. "polarizing" it renews the field and allows for full dc current.

j

wreckerman
06-27-2005, 05:07 AM
hay man i have a step by step to cheak it out and see what the problem is and it should not take you more then a 15 min to do all the test i belive it is in the story archives , regulators fail a lot on harely s next time you have to replace it use only excell or however it s spelled about the same price and garented for life

bikerinthenight
06-27-2005, 05:52 AM
I have a shovelhead also, and I too have stripped out a rotor before, it about drove me crazy trying to figure out what was going on. now I have my primary all apart, and noticed the same thing is happening again, but the compansating shaft is fine, just the rotor teeth are getting damn thin. I had added a spacer behind it after the last time, but aparently, it was`nt thick enough, and my rotor was still not "locked" down, if yours for some reason did it again, and it aint been that long, you need to add a spacer iether behing the rotor or infront of it (depending on chain/belt alignment), to take out the slop "so to speak" out of it. anyway, I`ll go with wreckerman on this one. Regulator. incase you cant find wreckermans post on testing, I`ll go ahead and post some info on it. to test your alternator, unplug the regulator, and take a volt meter, and set it to AC 0-150volts, then put one lead into one hole, and the other lead into the other hole that your regulator plugs into (does`nt matter which lead, goes in which hole). then start it up, on 76 to early 78 you should have 19 to 26 volts AC at various rpms,... from late 78 on, you should have around 60volts AC at 3000rpms. if that checkes out, it has to be your regulator, providing all the connections are good. (groung on battery ect.) P.S. I`m asuming you have the two prong at the plug in regulator? bikerinthenight

wreckerman
06-27-2005, 07:14 AM
click (http://harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=20&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0)
try this

Old_Evo
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Looks like you got some good advice from all above. I can't add more on your fix but hope you can find the trouble.
On my shovel I had a bad stator and ran all summer long without a head lite. Would turn it on just when I needed to and remember once getting caught out late, Man was that a interesting ride home without a head lite.

If you make it, I always carry jumper cables with me so if we're out riding and you need a charge I'm there.

It totally blows tearing into a bike in the middle of summer. Hope you can fix it and can make it up there.

skeezix
06-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Thx for all the tips guys, great to hear from you wreckerman, one of my favorite "personalities" here at HCG, you always have great things to say.

My regulator is that wierd 4 plug job. The shovel is a '73 so I think it was right before the newer 2 pronger. I would like a way to test the 4 prong but can I run my bike with that plug undone ???

thx again guys , and ya im pretty sure I am gonna strike out and meet everyone who makes it. The worst that can happen is I break down or get a ticket. I have had both happen before and I have survived :D

Skeez

skeezix
06-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh hey, wreckerman, great write up on testing the charging system, but I have a 4 prong regulator :( any experience with these ??

Skeez

wreckerman
06-28-2005, 03:53 AM
sorry bud , but not enough brain cells to remember the test precidure , and i do not have a book here that covers it maybe wide or junior can help out , but i will keep looking , it 's a bit busy here , but will try

bikerinthenight
06-28-2005, 04:32 AM
of them four connections, there should be two white, a red and a blue. set your volt meter to 50 to 100volts, and then hook one lead to one white wire/prong, and the other lead to the other white prong/wire. at 2000rpms, you meter should read somewhere between 50 and 100volts. next hook one lead of your meter to the red wire/prong, and the other lead to your blue wire prong, and on them you should read 75 to 125 volts at 2000rpms. its basicaly the same test as with a two wire regulator, but you have two sets of wire`s with your system. just remember to test the whites and then the blue and red.

The reason I `m saying prong/wire, is because I`m not sure if your regulator has a female plug, or a male. iether way, you need to figure out which wires are what color comming from your stator. you should be able to tell the color comming from your regulator to its plug, and then corrospond with the connection on your cases/stator. bikerinthenight

bikerinthenight
07-01-2005, 09:35 AM
So whats the verdict? curiosity is killing me. hope everything checked out okay. bikerinthenight

wreckerman
07-05-2005, 12:33 AM
well he made it to the hcg event and the bike ran great we had a chance to brefely look at it and his regulator appears to be the problem , but it did not stop him from rideing with us in canada , great meeting you skeezix

speedman
07-05-2005, 12:46 AM
well he made it to the hcg event and the bike ran great

You have to admit the solar powered battery charger on Skeez's bike is absolutely classic. I wish I had a decent pic of it, but we'll have to wait for somebody else to post one.

Regards,

SM

wreckerman
07-05-2005, 01:24 AM
speedman , yes that was a clasic

thorsblood
07-11-2005, 03:26 AM
sometimes I just want to buy a new bike, but teh shovel keeps dragging me back ...

Skeez

I know that feelin. You seen my new one, but you also heard how I wish't I'd kept ahold of the old one. It was great see'n and talk'n with you Skeez. Keep on truckin bro...

skeezix
08-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Well guys, I made er back alive ( a little late posting though huh ??) I havent been near a computer for a month or so *sigh*. I took my bike to a local shop to tidy up a few things I just havent had time to do. like teh regulator and a compensating sprocket deal. I usually do the stuff myself but the compensating nut is a little tight for my skinny arms :P. It was awesome to meet all you guys and ride with HCG. Speedman put on a top notch event !!!

Skeez

wreckerman
08-18-2005, 01:18 AM
glad you made it back safe and sound also glad that you are getting that charging system fixed got to tell you it was great having a shovel run with us , nothing like the bark of a shoveal to wake up a pack of bikes , it was also great getting to meet you take care and hope to ride with you again

Wide
08-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Took you this long to get home?

Must have been really cloudy using that solar charger :lol:

wreckerman
08-18-2005, 01:24 AM
wide good one :lol: :lol:

speedman
08-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Good to hear from you skeez. We need to get together for another ride before the weather turns shitty. Drop me a line and let me know when you have some free time on a weekend.

Regards,

SM

rwpatton
08-18-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah Skeez! Miss y'a dude, used t'a be my very early HCG days chat bud.

Hey man got alot of shovel parts Hanging in the garage,might have some thing y'a need. Let me know. I know I have a new F and a A grind cam I'll send y'a one if you are interested.

RW

skeezix
09-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Hey RW !!! i was just thinking of something to do to the old shovel this winter and a cam just might be the key to my winter itchiness. Let me know what you want for either cam and which one you think has the best mix of performance and reliability.

Awesome to get back in here once in awhile. I plan on more of it this winter once i get my living situation stabilized :)

Skeez

Wide
09-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Skeezwe!!!!

How are you man :)

rwpatton
09-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Skeeez! So happy to hear from you. Mr. canadian vato. No probs on this end. With a stock shovel I will send you the A grind cam. No bucks needed just PM me an address. And it's yours.

RW

skeezix
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey guys , I get my bike out of the shop tomorrow and here is the full lowdown on my charging system failure.

1st off, it was my stator which failed, the guy who fixed it last time used some chaepass stor from some crummy company. But thats not all, the stator did not match the rotor. In other words he put in a 22 amp (not sure if this is right) rotor, but used a 14 amp(?) stator. So the guys at my new shop werent even sure if it would have been working at all. so i spent about 350$ last fall to fix this problem, and I spent that much again this fall again *sigh*. But now I have a 22 amp charging system and its the 2 prong plug system now. The guys at the new shop had the old shovel up on the lift and when one of them leaned on the bike, the frame moved but the swingarm stayed still. They showed me my swingarm moving from side to side about half an inch !! So I am glad they fixed that too. It cost me quite a bit but what the heck, she is as good as gold now.

Also I noticed my bike was slow as mollasses on the HCG tour we did with speedmans buddies and figured I was just on an old bike and thats life. When I got home I checked my points (cheap ass Jap parts) they were burnt right out. ( I replaced them in the spring so I am not THAT bad at preventive maintenance Wreckerman :P) I put in new HD points that weekend and BOOM I have tonnes of pull and top end now , so am prepared for next years HCG gathering :).

Hey Wide, you over the Canadian beer yet ?? 'tis good stuff huh ??

Skeez

wreckerman
09-02-2005, 02:33 AM
good to hear the bike is good to go , and even better to see you here and posting , looking forward to chatting with you this winter

skeezix
09-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Hey wrecker :) It was awesome to meet you that weekend man. I could talk about old bikes for hours with you. I learned a ton in the short time we had to talk together.
kaybe a tour to Chicago will be in my future :)

skeez

NY90
09-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Great to see you posting again Skeez! :D