PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Homebrewer

ScubaStan
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Hello all fellow HB's!!

I have been making Mead now for the last year or so. For those of you who may not know what Mead is...it is a fermented honey drink. It can be spiced called a Metheglin or have fruit added called a Melomel and with malt & hops called a Braggot. There are many more variations. My main specialty is spiced Meads with cinnamon, nutmegs, and clove.

I recently made my first beer. I chose a stout due to temperature of the fermentation area and knowing stouts cover up mistakes a lot better. I will post the recipe here in a couple of days, when I get the chance. It turned out a lot hoppier than I had expected, because I couldn't get all the hops strained out of the wort. Overall, my friends like it so I will be creating a new batch again soon. It is a partial grain Oatmeal Stout recipe and ended up nice and dark with a frothy head and hoppy like Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co. The hoppiness wasn't intended, but that is what I got.

Anyone have a secret as to how to get all the hops out of a hot wort mixture? I used pelletized hops last go 'round. thinking of using whole leaf hops net time. Only thing is, I won't know the Alpha Acid content of the hops.

Stan

Tony
06-28-2005, 11:42 PM
First, welcome to the ranks of the HCG Brewers!!!! Glad to have another brewer with us.

As for the hops, did you use pellets, plugs or whole hops?

Plus and whole hops can be places into small or medium muslin bag which allows excellent hops release, as well as keeps them out of your primary. Also, you can use a boil kettle with a spigot, so that you can drain the wort out and strain it, but if you use a high hop recipe, the spigot can clog, (Some of us here are hop heads and love high hop brews) so he muslin bags are best.

As for pellets, they always disintegrate and turn to mud on the bottom of your boil kettle, and bags never help. Whats usually said for pellets is to cool the wort down in the kettle first, then swirl the wort gently to create a whirpool effect to collect the pellet residue towards the center of the kettle, then siphon out the wort, and make sure you use a secondary fermenter to further allow futher settling out any particles.

I use whole hops exclusively now, and only use pellets if I cant find whole or plugs. Anyway, post that recipe whe you can and keep us up to date on this brew as well as anything else you brew. Again...Great to have ya with us!!!!

ScubaStan
06-29-2005, 03:26 AM
I used pellets ("hamster food") and I used a siphon to move the wort from kettle to primary after cooling as I do not yet have a true brewing kettle. I guess I will have to refine my siphoning technique to keep the little pieces parts from sneaking past the nozzle and into the primary.

Thanks for the encouraging words and my plan is to use whole hop in place of pellets and just not worry about the Alpha acid %. It is nice to know in case I get a really good brew that I cna enter into a competition.

Tony
06-29-2005, 03:44 AM
I used pellets ("hamster food") and I used a siphon to move the wort from kettle to primary after cooling as I do not yet have a true brewing kettle. I guess I will have to refine my siphoning technique to keep the little pieces parts from sneaking past the nozzle and into the primary.

Thanks for the encouraging words and my plan is to use whole hop in place of pellets and just not worry about the Alpha acid %. It is nice to know in case I get a really good brew that I cna enter into a competition.

Pelles can be easy used if you use a Fermtech Auto Siphon (http://www.northernbrewer.com/siphon.html) and keep the capped bottom just off the bottom of your boil kettle. I used this with my pellets, and it is excellent. Plus its in valuable to have, and is the best siphon to have, especially when draining secondary glass carboys!

As for competitions, we have a resident brewer, Rusty, who has won some acclaim for his brews!

Rusty
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Welcom ScubaStan. Looks like Tony has you coverd............keep brewing and take some pics. We like to see them.