PDA

View Full Version : Finally A Reality

brian_10101
06-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Well It's Official.....

The wife and I are heading to the local HD dealer to start the his & hers purchasing process. The 2005 Softail Springer Classic is what has caught my eye but I was hoping to get some input from the members here. I'm sure it comes down to personal preference but I would like to get some feedback in regards to going with a carb or the FI model. Any problems, regrets, etc. either way?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to posting in the future as a true Harley owner.

Brian

brian_10101
06-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Please excuse my ignorance.....

I just saw the post further down the page that is directed to the Carb / EFI decision.

Brian

macsRKC
06-29-2005, 05:23 PM
First, welcome to the forums. bottomsup

Second, I like the looks of the Springer, but I went with the Road King. Had my choice between the two. I went with EFI since that is all that they offer for the King. EFI is supposed to be more reliable in starting, but older riders on here will tell you that carbs are good and cost less to modify than an EFI system.

Good luck. What is your wife looking at?

HDangel
06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
post deleted

brian_10101
06-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Macs.....

What was it that made you swing towards the the Road King? Just curious since I would be outfitting the Springer with saddle bags.

Also...years ago...the wife had a '71 Shovelhead that she sold when we got married so she is looking more for a used bike. Guess we'll see what the dealer has in stock. Personally I will be going brand new (unless they have a deal I can't pass up). There will be plenty of time in the future where I'll be turning the wrenches myself so I might as well enjoy the warranty.

Brian

macsRKC
06-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Mainly it was the fact I had to fork over additional $ for bags and a windshield if I wanted the springer. My dealer wouldn't throw them in. :angry:

Plus, the King had cruise control and was reasonably priced (MSRP at my dealer) compared to the Springer.

wreckerman
06-29-2005, 06:18 PM
wont answer your question sence you fond it , but would like to welcome you to the hcg site make sure you look in the story archives we have a lot of articals about buy , choseing and picking up a new bike good luck in your buying

Rusty
06-29-2005, 06:53 PM
A fine choice for a bike............I like mine.

thesmithiz
06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Mainly it was the fact I had to fork over additional $ for bags and a windshield if I wanted the springer. My dealer wouldn't throw them in. :angry:

Plus, the King had cruise control and was reasonably priced (MSRP at my dealer) compared to the Springer.

This pretty much sums up my reasons too. I was looking at the Springer, the Deluxe and the RK Classic, the RK came home with me and no regrets.

brian_10101
06-30-2005, 03:37 AM
Just a little update....

I am now the proud owner of a 2005 Road King Classic. Two tone black / lava red (black being the primary). I'm going to hold off until the 1000 mile service to decide if I'm going to update the exhaust. I'm stripping the rear crash bars and replacing the one piece seat with a split seat. I liked the fact that I can change the whole look of the bike by removing the quick-release windshield and the front end looks much better than the Springer - IMHO - mainly due to the size of the headlight and the additional lights.

The wife ended up with a 2005 Softail Deluxe...black. She started off right away with doing the exhaust mods.

In regards to the MSRP....no such luck. They just laughed when I asked about the price differences. Spent more than I had anticipated but hey, you only live once.

Now, to you RK Classic owners....how many out there swapped out the stock exhaust right away to get the standard "Harley" sound or was the stock sound good enough?

Thanks for all the input,
Brian

CurryBob
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
brian_10101

Nice choices, I know you and your wife will have great fun. My wife loves her Deluxe. We piped both of ours right away. I like some sound.

Bob

brian_10101
07-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Well after hearing hers last night at the dealer I went ahead and decided to get all the "upgrades" I had in mind.....one of them being a Vance & Hines true dual system and related EFI calibration. I'll be doing the modification upgrades myself. We pickup the bikes tomorrow morning so I know what I'll being tomorrow afternoon :D

The weather in our area is supposedly going to be sunny and warm through Monday. Definitely getting in some good riding time.

Brian

CurryBob
07-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I get almost all of the add on's at time of purchase. I work a discount in with the purchase (%20) and also save on sales tax because it is considered part of the vehicle. Our vehicle tax is 2.75% and other items are 8%. When your talking about $3500 that adds up.

Bob