PDA

View Full Version : different smells for different rides?

Coyote
09-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Ok, I know that I can expect all sorts of comments about this. About what I ate, etc...

But seriously though. I notice a couple of different smells from the exhaust when I pull my bike (04 FLHRCI) into my garage. One is the nice sweet gas kinda smell or not much of a smell.

The other is a sort of bitter smell and is when I started noticing a difference. This seems to happen when I take short trips back and forth to work only. If I take longer trips (50 miles or more) I get the old sweet smell back from the bike.

This isn't a real pressing issue. The bike seems to run just as well either way. Just thought that I'd pick the brains of the local smart guys since it ran through my head.

:blink2:

wreckerman
09-07-2004, 12:38 AM
coyote i cant say i go and smell my exsuast , but maybe you are just smelling the moister on old carbon when you take a short ride and it all burns off on the longer rides this is stickly a gess

Coyote
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Figured that it was burning carbon. I normally don't go and smell my exhaust but when I run it in the garage for the seconds before I turn it off, I can smell it pretty strong. Fumes are my only form of amusement these days, short of beer.

;)

rwpatton
09-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I can indentify with smelling different exhaust fumes. I guessing with wrecker that heat, humidy, how long the choke was on ect. can make an odoriferous change. Why? Don't know.

The exhaust smell I like Is running 104 vp racing fuel. Cool. Man, I must be burnt out or something. ;)

RW

Crash
09-10-2004, 04:27 PM
If you would like to eliminate the smell, start smoking cheap cigars. Ok, you say the smell is still there, you just can't smell it? Maybe this is like the tree that falls in the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coyote
09-19-2004, 11:49 PM
I just started taking longer rides now, skipping the short rides does the trick! ;)

I've noticed those smells with all of my vehicles. I guess that I have a sensitive nose. Can't imagine why when I've grown up in five different citys worth of pollution and drank and showered in jet fuel for the past 5 years!

Thanks for the patience for that question. It hardly classified itself as an important question!