PDA

View Full Version : adding new computer help

harley451900
07-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Putting in a new comp. for my wife. need to get internet on it. Question is should i go wireless router and card or should i hard wire it with cat 5 cable. My friend said if i hard wire it that my wife will be able to access my hard drive because the whole computer will be networked. Is this true?

If i go wireless what brand should i buy? why are they all different prices?

Horse
07-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Yes and No. In a network you can limit access by others.

Jamorris
07-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Go Cat 5. WiFi seems like a good thing, but it is very unsecure. Even the better encrypted set ups can be hacked quite easily. I wouldn't use it with any PC I had personal and financial info on.

Jerry

speedman
07-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Whether you use wireless, or Cat5 you can share files between systems.

As previously mentioned wireless is not very secure and it's a trivial job to crack WEP (wireless encryption protocol). We use wireless in my office, but everything is encrypted with an internal VPN, which is probably not something a home user would want to tackle.

Performance wise Cat5 blows wireless out of the water for large file transfers.

Unless you require mobility for a laptop in your house I would recommend going with Cat5 and a cheap router.

Regards,

SM

arthureld
07-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I bought a wireless card for my laptop so I could use it while staying at a hotel.
Now that I have an apartment, I set up my place with my hardwire router and cable internet. But I've noticed I don't need to use the wires for internet because someone else has wireless service going in my area. :)

Tony
07-09-2005, 08:41 PM
For desktop, hard wire it. For laptops, wireless.

You can secure both and keep people out...believe me :D

elliottharley
07-11-2005, 11:52 PM
think the guys have you covered - I use wireless with a broadband connection for my pc's and laptop, just easier - remember this - if they want in bad enough they will get it - true though, wireless is "up for grabs" but war driving for wireless networks typically don't hurt much - they just want internet access :) not only that, with WEP it would still take a powerful CPU to crack the encryption - even 128bit - but most wireless routers go up to 1024bit now - which would take days to crack with a LARGE computer system - don't worry about it - do it - now if you go wired - go cat6, best is always better right? Plus if you go gibabit (1000mb or 1gb) in the future (which you may be right now) you will need 6 (uses all pairs) unlike 10-100mb only uses 2 pairs of the 4 pairs.

best,
elliottharley

speedman
07-12-2005, 12:03 AM
with WEP it would still take a powerful CPU to crack the encryption - even 128bit

No offense intended, but that's just not true. Here is the easiest way to try it yourself:

http://iwhax.net/modules/news/

And here is a quick tutorial on cracking WEP in 10 minutes with the live CD from the link above:

http://whoppix.hackingdefined.com/Whoppix-wepcrack.html.

Regards,

SM

elliottharley
07-12-2005, 02:58 AM
offense? never....I will retract that just for you - but I still would like to see the "average" person do it on a home wireless network - now if it was a huge corporate network - ok I understand - but doesn't matter I guess - go with 1024bit and break that in 10 minutes :)

elliottharley

Wide
07-12-2005, 03:05 AM
And here is a quick tutorial on cracking WEP in 10 minutes with the live CD from the link above:

http://whoppix.hackingdefined.com/Whoppix-wepcrack.html.

Regards,

SM

Bad Link :(

Here (http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~owen/Academic/ECE4112/Spring2005/spring2005.htm) are some class assignments that may be of intrest reguarding security ;)

speedman
07-12-2005, 03:06 AM
I still would like to see the "average" person do it on a home wireless network

Agreed. The average person isn't going to learn how to sniff, crack, hack and phreak, but there are still plenty of people who do. Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight, but better safe than sorry IMO. :)

Regards,

SM

speedman
07-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Bad Link :(

Google cache here:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:WdM0uzxBMt0J:whoppix.hackingdefined .com/Whoppix-wepcrack.html+wepcrack.html&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Regards,

SM

Zombie069
07-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Go with whatever you feel is easiest and best investment. cat6 would be a good choice, but don't scare away from wireless..
As said before, most are looking for free internet, not your info..
Access to you internet is not access to your pc or your info.
If you do go wireless, make sure it WiFi-G, as with the 11b everytime you or your neighbor gets on a cordless phone, you'll get dropped from your network.
That is a nice little video on cracking. But if you worry people are driving around looking for your wireless connection to crack in your apartment, your ulcers and anxiety will break you long before ID theft will.. :rolleyes:

elliottharley
07-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I agree Zombie - like Wide, Junior and the rest of the pros say to me about my bike when I worry about issues, ride the thing and quit worrying :) :) In other words, go wireless and have fun :)

elliottharley

hogwylde
07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Going wirelss is less secure than hard wiring, but as long as you have it encrypted, you are fine. As far as her accessing your pc, the only way is if you have "Guest" enabled, pc is left on, and has things in a Shared folder for her to access.

Am going to do the same thing as you for my wife, and am going to go wireless.

The best wirelss stuff out there is NetGear.

hogwylde
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Go with whatever you feel is easiest and best investment. cat6 would be a good choice, but don't scare away from wireless..
As said before, most are looking for free internet, not your info..
Access to you internet is not access to your pc or your info.
If you do go wireless, make sure it WiFi-G, as with the 11b everytime you or your neighbor gets on a cordless phone, you'll get dropped from your network.
That is a nice little video on cracking. But if you worry people are driving around looking for your wireless connection to crack in your apartment, your ulcers and anxiety will break you long before ID theft will.. :rolleyes:

By default, most wireless electronic stuff uses channel 6 which is why things like cordless phones may knock you off-line. Just set it up the wireless modem to use channel 11