PDA

View Full Version : 1990 eg hi-speed wobble

cleandog
09-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Sometimes at 70 mph the bike will wopple a little, almost like wind is pushing me side to side. It seams to be more on concret with the grooves so I alwas figure that is what it is. I replace the triple trees with after market that fit 1983 and below which I also got rid of the fairing. I asked the question on this site and most of everyones response was check the rake since the front tire is setting closer to the down tubes then before with the stock triple trees. One think I still need to do is check the alignment of the front and rear tires again just to make sure it is not dog tracking a little.
I used to have the web site saved on how to measure the rake and trailing and forula but the OL redid the hard drive and I lost the site. I really like the looks except for the gape between the gas tank and the tress which is larger then stock. The only thing I can think of is with the front tire moved back a little it is more like riding a kids trike with only one rear tire. Junior my biggest guestion I guess is how do I measure the rake and trail and do the formula, than once I get it and it is out how dangerest will it be to ride 2 up or with the extra rear weight help or hurt?

junior
09-07-2004, 10:27 PM
changing the trees may have created the whole problem.

here's the site: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

go to it, plug in the numbers, then let us know where you are. then let's see from there...

j

cleandog
09-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks Junior I will do it this weekend. Thanks for having the power to move it to a new topic. With a stroke of a key you can change the world.

junior
09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
lol dog-

dunno 'bout all that, but we'll get to the bottom of the thing here eventually....

j

softailFXST2004
09-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Its the bearings in the front of yuour forks they are loose!! tighten them its really important!! Its the big nut under the tripletree with the grease all over it! Tighten to tourque specifications or take it to a shop the get it tightened! Is it a new bike? sometimes it takes some riding to get them fully seated properly!

UltraClassic
09-08-2004, 01:00 AM
My '04 Ultra wobbles at 100 in the wind, enough to make me mark my laundry. I had the steering head checked, torqued just fine. Tire pressure was fine too, and stock front end. Most people I talk to say 'they just do that'.

I've read lots of articles about EG's doing this, one about a State Patrolman going down at 80 and buying the farm, don't know if they're true, but it does seem to be a syndrome.

Steering head, tire pressure, rake and trail, all can amplify it, but I think it's just a bit of a design flaw...just my opinion.

Anybody with a Tour Glide experience this?? My buds that ride 'em don't seem to have this issue, so I suspect it's at least partially sail effect from the batwing fairing.

junior
09-08-2004, 01:44 AM
ultra-

that is what kinda started this thread. take a look at the true-track stabilizer kit for touring models...

http://www.true-track.com/new/tt329b_002.htm

might find it interesting...

j

UltraClassic
09-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Thanks, Junior. Interesting indeed.